The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #91
Bow-hunt-er
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddie View Post
Thank you sir!

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #92
Btowntaz
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
But occasionally you do just run into that jerk with a chip on his shoulder. But all in all I agree that 95% of the LEO's out there are just trying to do their job like anyone else and if you treat them with civility, they do the same.
Amen. You reap what you sow.

When I was about 23 I had just about the same set up, and when the officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I told him what was imporatant was did HE know how fast I was going. To which the officer replied, I had you at 95 MPH and I told him "Ahhh so you saw me once I slowed down." (Had been doing 120 MPH. Don't ask, I was 23, have no clue why I was going that fast, maybe because I could!) The end result was a wreckless driving ticket that cost me $800. Lesson learned.

Kill them with kindness. The side of the road is never the place to argue a ticket, thats what court is for. But you will find the better YOUR attitude is, the better THEIR attitude will be...
[SIZE="4"][B]My Jeep build:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=SaskCJ7;12154245]First off, whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on.[/QUOTE]
Btowntaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #93
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the LEO's I experience are very upstanding, selfless folks who work a thankless job and are much more concerned with public safety than walking the lines on the letters of the laws. I'll not, however, overly bash some of the local guys who are obvious exceptions...never hesitating to break the laws themselves to bust people for simple things. I have plenty of those unfortunate stories, but they are not entertaining, just sad and wasteful. Here's a couple funny ones.

Spent a night partying with a girlfriend at the time and some of her family a couple towns up. In the morning, I left her place after breakfast in my old black YJ with no top, no doors, no shirt, hair past my shoulders and a two month beard. I got pulled over right at the edge of town by a local cop in an SUV. Had my paperwork ready and he took it asking me if I knew why he had pulled me over. I replied respectfully that I hadn't the foggiest. He then tried to explain to me that he was concerned with the roadworthiness of my rig. I showed him the brand new suspension I had installed the weekend before, to which he replied "nice". He tried to tell me I was speeding, but he could/would not tell me how fast and said that my big 31" tires were throwing it off. I informed him that I'd replaced my speedo-gear and that I was certain my guage was accurate and that I was not speeding...actually driving slower. He ran my license and got the good word that I had no recent priors and I was good to go. He asked me why I'd not had any speeding tickets since the last time a few years before that when I had two or three in a short period of time. I replied..."I bought a Jeep to slow down, fast cars are too much trouble!". He lol'd and left.

Again, in my old YJ, I used to work the late shift at a call center, going home around 12 midnight. More often than not, getting out late thanks to that last annoying caller who rings up about three minutes till 12. To make some long stories short, I got pulled over probably 6-8 separate times on the same roads, same vehicle, same time of night. Since I did not have to be in front of customers I really let myself get shaggy and surely looked like a tired drunk barfly. Only two cops drunk-fished me all those times and I stayed polite each time. Finally one night, about 12:45, I got pulled over. Same cop as the time before. We go thru the same routine. This time I'd had a bad night and I just could not take the harassment anymore, so I told him that the next time he drunk fish'd me on my way home from work I'd have to call down to the station and ask why I'm being harassed while abiding by the law. My smart mouth got me a field sobriety test (which I passed effortlessly) and a much longer time before I could make it home to drink a beer and go to bed. Dispatch called back and told him that my record was clean and that they had seen me when my company installed the computers and desks in their office a few months before that, confirming that I worked late for that company now.... The officer told me to take it easy and not to work too hard. Never been pulled over since in that YJ or even my newer TJ.

I get compliments on my TJ from the local guys regularly, especially the Sheriff's. Bunch of 4x4 nuts like me.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #94
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i should preface this post by saying that traffic cops are what 'we' call pigs. cops who solve actual crimes (like rape and murder) are not belittled by anyone i know, however those cops are also usually referred to as 'detectives'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephammer
NO! NO! NO! Can't call cops 'PIGS'!

They don't produce ham or bacon, so that's just wrong.
woah, hit a nerve, eh? where i come from, pig is the colloquial name for law enforcement.

yall must not watch much tv or listen to popular music... pig is quite a common name for cops... when im driving, my passengers always say "hey, look out for that pig"; its never "hey look out for that local law enforcement officer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JGCOilBurner View Post
Probably not in keeping with the spirit of this thread...try not to call him, or her a pig
according to the thread title, the spirit of this thread is dumb cops....
its not supposed to be a law enforcement love-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone
Wonder why they don't get respect..........
its because respect is earned, not given blindly because one happens to have a badge. and around here, traffic cops are not earning much respect.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #95
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man this is a great thread. Been occupieing me all day at work! (I work on computers so its really easy just to drop on and read updates)
Feel bad for the people who are taking this thread the wrong way though, I just think theirs enough of us just to ignor those people though.

I've never had any 'Bad' run-ins with the cops even though i've done some illegal stuff... (MIP, Theft, speeding, swirving (well it is a jeep)
I've always just been straight up honest with every cop who has stopped me. I think they really like that when someone my age can look them right in the eye and admit I was doing something wrong, and should have thought about it allot more, and made the right decision instead.

Only been pulled over once in my jeep though (mom has WJ) and it was like 5am at night coming home from a bar (i'm 18) and have my hand marked and everything. Big concert even was going on so allotta state boys were driving around lookin for drunkerds. I got pulled over litterally like a house down from my house
him and his partner come walking up with flashlights thinkin they hit the jackpot bc my top was off and they could search every inch of my jeep.
course they run my lic. and such, (I'm clean as a wistle still!)
He first asks if I have been drinking, confused I go... no?
hes like well you were swirving quiet a bit back there.
I was like, well with these shackles, rust, and a little wind she likes to move around a bit!
He just looked at me... And tried to find a vin in the windsheild...then the dash...windsheild again... dash...
I go ... can I help you? he says, Vin?
I go, I can take you to my shed it has the orig. dash sitting right next to it w/ the vin plate still readable...
he then again just stairs at me and asks about where i came from / then lets me go.

not funny but thats my story! Don't think I'll ever try lieing to a cop, being honest has gotten me out of everything.
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #96
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

interesting

I actually started thinking about this thread and the way to work today and it was cracking me up.

Ever drive by a Highway Patrol cop in the mountains and think he has a pretty sweet job? Cruising around in and ice storm probably isn't so fun but most of the year you're really in some nice area. Not like big city cops around here who tend to be jaded, and who can blame them after what they deal with?

Anyway so I'm cruising with my wife and infant daughter coming down out of the high Sierra. It's a two lane road with curves, I'm in a jeep with an infant, so I'm taking it easy and driving under the speed limit most of the time. I'm in a 50 zone and hit a small straight away and I pass a Highway Patrol cop. I wave and he waves back and I start thinking he has a pretty cool job. I check my speedo and I'm dead on 50 mph as I figured.

A minute or so later he's behind me pulling me over. I'm pretty shocked. License and registration, what are you doing out here, etc.. I ask why he pulled me over and he said I was doing 60! It dawns on me that I've been stupid and haven't figured on the bigger tires changing my speedo

So I explain to him that I didn't realize the speedo was wrong and that I was doing the speed limit as far as I knew. For some reason he's really mad and keeps asking me why I didn't slow down when I passed him. I explain that I didn't need to as I was doing 50 mph on my speedo. No, you were doing 60! Sorry sir, but the speedo said 50. Well why didn't you slow down?

It's a circular argument and I shut up and sign

Now I try to stay 5-7 mph below the speed on my speedo and no problems since.
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #97
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This thread might be more effective if moved over to the "Jeep Stories" section. Might make the title a little more ambiguous to all Jeeps, but I love the stories about the early CJ drivers with lap belts...lol'd at my desk.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #98
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That sucks - should have been more like "I was below the speed limit, or so I thought - I was trying to be careful with my daughter, and waved to you to be friendly, not an a$$.."

I know for a fact they here the "my speedometer must be off" thing all of the time. Before I got my Droid with the GPS speedo app, I never knew just how far off I was, and would explain I know it's off, but no idea how far.. I'd still get cited, but at least now I know my Ranger is reading 10MPH slow, CJ reads 5MPH slow, and the Honda reads 3MPH fast.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #99
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
That sucks - should have been more like "I was below the speed limit, or so I thought - I was trying to be careful with my daughter, and waved to you to be friendly, not an a$$.."

I know for a fact they here the "my speedometer must be off" thing all of the time. Before I got my Droid with the GPS speedo app, I never knew just how far off I was, and would explain I know it's off, but no idea how far.. I'd still get cited, but at least now I know my Ranger is reading 10MPH slow, CJ reads 5MPH slow, and the Honda reads 3MPH fast.
Hondas always read fast, thats why ricers love 'em.
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #100
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Window tint laws are really strange...
I'm driving a vehicle with window tint, factory, kind of dark.

So I'm CONSTANTLY getting window tint pull overs,
When the find the tint is factory, there is NOTHING the can do about it...

On the rare occasions I do get a ticket, it's always dismissed since they don't have a tint meter thing to test it for the 'Legal' limits...

Just another way to harass people going about their business if they feel like giving you a hard time...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #101
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Window tint laws are really strange...
I'm driving a vehicle with window tint, factory, kind of dark.

So I'm CONSTANTLY getting window tint pull overs,
When the find the tint is factory, there is NOTHING the can do about it...

On the rare occasions I do get a ticket, it's always dismissed since they don't have a tint meter thing to test it for the 'Legal' limits...

Just another way to harass people going about their business if they feel like giving you a hard time...
I think tint laws exist for two reasons one so cops can see into your car because they aren't allowed to search with out reason, and because its a PITA to drive a car with super tinted windows at night, at least for me because I have an astigmatism.
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #102
bstew417
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some of these are down right hilarious. I can't really compete, but here it goes.

I was driving down a street near my house along some railroad tracks when a cop jumps out from behind a tree and points me over. Well he scared me half to death and I nearly jumped out of my seat and swerved off the road toward to tracks, stopping about 15-20 feet from the policeman. Well he comes sprinting toward me screaming that I was being a complete idiot and he was going to take me to jail. He thought I was trying to cross the railroad to run away from him. After attempting to explain what happened, why I didn't have doors, the usual license, registration, he asks the usual questions. I had no idea why he pulled me over. He shows me his radar gun displaying 17mph (speed limit is 20) with a smug look on his face. I gave him an inquisitive look to which he responded "27 in a 20 is speeding son." Now I might be young, but I'm not an idiot. I asked him to check his gun again. He turned a deep shade of purple and wrote me a ticket for having too many lights on my vehicle (it was daylight and they were all turned off).

Story 2: after a long day of wheeling, I was heading about 40 miles from the park to pick up some parts in the middle-of-nowhere Louisiana along one of those random highways where the speed limit changes every 8 feet. Well I missed the speed limit drop in a town which literally consisted of a gas station and a tractor repair shop. Cop pulls me over, I tell him I know I was speeding, I missed the sign, I apologize, etc. Turns out I was going 47 in a 35. He wasn't a jerk about anything, didn't waste any time, but wrote me a ticket. I signed it and drove off. When I finally looked at the ticket a few days later it said this: Speed limit-35, Radar speed-47, Speeding-14 over... The ticket was thrown out due to conflicting information.
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #103
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

After thinking long and hard about this, I've never had a cop drive my CJ let alone say something dumb to me while doing it!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #104
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

It seems that stories that don't involve a Jeep are ok on this thread, but pardon me if I'm hijacking.

I was just out of high school and at the time my buddies and I smoked pot. Youthful indiscretions and all that...

Anyway so we're riding around in my buddy's '49 Studebaker pickup. It's an absolutely beautiful machine, great paint, new glass, etc. We're riding down the main drag on the peninsula in the SF Bay area because the truck really doesn't like freeway speeds. It took us an hour to get where we were going. Oh yeah, and we had a big bag of really stinky weed with us.

All of a sudden the rear window lights up so we pull over, kinda freaking out, and this young officer walks up and ask for DL, reg, etc. My friend gives him the info and asks what we are being pulled over for. He says "You only have one taillight, you're supposed to have two".

So my friend informs him that for a vehicle this old, only one taillight was required. He responds that he had never heard of such a thing and to wait in the vehicle while he checks it out. Meanwhile we're sitting in the truck freaking out because we swear he's going to bust us.

He comes back a little while later and tells us to step out of the vehicle, his shift supervisor is coming by to help out. So the super pulls up about 15 minutes later, doesn't even get out of the vehicle, and asks the officer to hand him the DL and reg. He takes a look and starts reading the "newb" the riot act, something about if you don't know the vehicle code you shouldn't be out here, let alone wasting everyone's time. He tells rookie to let us go.

I'm not sure what the supervisor was up to when he got called but he didn't seem to be very happy about being dragged away from it. Can you say donut shop?

Rookie cops, sheesh!

Also reminds me of a joke, forget who the comedian is but it goes something like this:

A cop pulls over a motorist and approaches the vehicle. Looks at the driver and says "Your eyes are pretty bloodshot, have you been drinking?", to which the motorist says to the officer, "Your eyes are pretty glazed, have you been eating donuts?"

trailhead
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #105
jadams800
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great thread. Thought I would add something. Back when my friends and I were young we all had motorcycles. One evening I was meeting a couple buddies at a local burger joint where my buddies girl friend worked to go ride. For the longest time he was "in love" with a police service officer from our town. That evening she drove by in her service officer car while we were in the parking lot and he flipped her the "10" sign with his fingers (hold up a one and a zero). Well, two seconds later she comes whipping around the corner, lights on and about a minute later three more squads pulled up all with lights on ! The service officer tells the cops he threw up a gang sign at her ! Keep in mind we grew up in about the whitest town of all times. There were no gangs where we lived either. Now they start asking him why he did it. By this time his girl friend came outside all confused. O...and her mom and sister came out too because her mom owned the place. They are all trying to figure out why he is in trouble - spread out on the cops car being searched. The cop finally pulled my buddy aside and asked what he did. He admitted to doing the "10" sign and the cop asked why he didn't just say that because he was about to go to jail - my buddies response? - I would rather go to jail then have to deal with what my girl friend and her mom are going to do when they find out. That was thh beginning of the end of that relationship ! Plus, he never did get a date with the service officer...
jadams800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.