The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ... - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #481
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post

Out of curiosity why did your Grand Prix "idle at 20mph?" and why didn't your Grand Prix have a neutral position on the transmission or a parking/emergency brake?
I can picture it being built enough that it needed a higher rpm for the cam...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #482
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Got pulled over by an uninformed female officer. She asked "where are your doors?" She did not quite understand that they were an option.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #483
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

I've never been blatently pulled over. Was always for doing dumb things, some of which would have been jail time.
Not in a CJ, in extended cab F-150 in mid 80's. Imagine 3 in the morning, headed south on the interstate in Mississippi, running a radardetector, not another vehicle on the road for 2 hours.

Cruising at 115 headed from Nashville to Houston. Tired, bored. Oops, flashing lights.

Pull over, back then we used to get out of the vehicle and wait. Cop walks up (state police), asks if I knew how fast, I said yes. Asks if anyone else in the vehicle, I said my friend sleeping in the extended cab. He gets called out, asked if he had any idea of my speed, says no.

He asks what's in the back of the truck in the camper shell, so I opened it showing him the back crammed full of not just camping gear but all the equipment needed for framing houses. We had been looking for work.

He stares at it, stares at us, stares at the truck again.

Told me "Since you're from out of state, I can't write you a ticket. I have to take you to jail. If I take you to jail, I have to inventory and write down the complete contents of the truck. No way do I want to spend my shift doing that. Slow it down"

Off we went but I kept it under 100. Till An hour later, saw headlights way behind me again, so I slowed to the speed limit. Was passed by him and another SP at high rate of speed.

Got lucky...
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #484
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I saw something similar a few posts back, but here's mine....

I have been pulled over 3 times in my neighborhood because of my truck's sound and because it is slightly lifted,....never had a ticket in any of the years driving for any issue

I was going to Cold Stone for my pregnant wife at 8:30PM. The neighborhood we live in hired off-duty sheriffs deputies to patrol (there has been some teens vandalizing). He sees me in my '05 GMC Sierra lifted 6 inches (actually looks pretty stock with the 35 in tires, just a little taller). I pass him head on and see him immediately get on my tail in the neighborhood; we travel for about 200 feet, he has all his driving lights off, and then all the sudden flips every light on, spot included. I stop, he asks for the usual and tells me to wait, comes back 15 min later and asks why I was stopped. I told him I hoped he could tell me because I know I wasn't speeding. His reply was "well everything looks good here (handing my paperwork back), but you know one of your license plate lights are out when I pulled you over. I am not going to write you a ticket this time because it looks like they are back on, but you need to check into it and get it fixed". This is a newer truck and have never had electrical issues so I reply "I don't think I am having issues, it is a newer truck, the wiring is pretty solid on these normally." He then told me about how he had seen the gm's have this common problem and showed me where in the wiring can be bad and tried to get technical with electrical terms and theories...., and then he proceeded to talk about how mud flaps are probably needed for my truck..." I let him ramble for awhile and then I asked him politely if that was all he needed from me and got back in the truck and left; never acknowledging the flaps or supposed wiring problems...got awkward there toward the end.
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #485
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Haven't been pulled over[yet] in my current jeep but if it happens I hope I can remember this: "Yes I do and no its not for sale"
boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #486
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Back in college I had a large Doberman, weighed about 100lbs. super smart dog and well mannered and all. I was moving to a new rental and had my CJ loaded with clothes and had just pulled into the driveway of my new rental and the local K9 unit pulls up behind me.

I get out of the jeep, my dog moves over to the drivers seat and lays down. I grab a handful of clothes and ask the officer what was wrong, I knew I wasn't speeding and I was pretty sure I used my signal. She responds, hand on her gun "we had a report of a large vicious dog at this residence" "Do you own a dog? " I reply "yes ma'am I do" and point at my dog in the driver's seat. As if on cue, my dog lifts his head and rests it on the window which was rolled down. She looks at him, looks at me and asks "does he have a license".....without missing a beat I respond "no ma'am, he's not old enough to drive, he's just pretending right now"

It was priceless, she snorted and literally spit from laughing so hard. All she could do was to suggest that I get a DOG license and to be careful because people miss judge dogs such as mine.

A good friend of mine who was on the force with her was working that day and told me later that she reported the incident over the radio and it was a good laugh for everyone.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #487
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

When we misjudge (prejudge, root of prejudice) other people we get in trouble. When people misjudge/prejudge dogs the dogs get in trouble.
Freedom Top (Black) Soft Top (Black) 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels TUFFY Security Drawer Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights JK 6-Switch sPOD Source SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate Cobra 75 WX ST 4' Wilson Antenna AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System Hella FF 500 Driving Lights Hella Black Magic Driving Lights Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier XRC8 Winch 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension Bilstein Shocks RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1958
NRA Patron Life Member
ThunderFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #488
Naiveambition
1976 CJ7 

True store

Didn't happen "in" a cj but ended in a cj. Four of us decided to go wheeling and loaded up my old dodge warlock( man I miss that one) and loaded the cj on the trailer for a late Friday trip to the wheeling park. Trip was fine till we pulled over at entrance. We had stopped to sneak one passenger under the camping supplies to save him some cash. So I'm waiting on them in truck and a cop pulls up, on private property, and is talking to my friends for a few, then comes up to pass. Side of truck and asked me to search my truck. Me being dumbfounded I ask why and immediately he says I can bring the dogs or u can let me search. Ok just tell me why,
Your friend is underage and has a beer. Okay whatever, I say and he searches my truck and finds a roach, in a cig pack. Now I'm still in truck and he comes around to my side and I step out, and as he is searching I turn and chuck a pipe in the cornfield as hard as I can, while at the same time my buddy's are hiding their illegals in the CJ on the trailer.
Then asks me to come over to the other side, but I don't follow him and go to the rear of my truck and put my hands thru a window screen to drop my illegal stuff in the bed of the truck.

So here's where it gets oddly funny, he's got us lined up and says u stoned , they stoned and he is stoned and drinking.
We'll officer your right and if u want u can search us as we don't have nothing on us.
So he searches us and gives the usual lecture then says, I'm good ain't I ?
Uhmm yep u got us. He knows we are on private prop. And let's us go with a warning and also takes my friends smokes with the roach, .

Ok so back in the truck I find out what they hid, and they find out what I hid, and the guy in packed under blankets in the back had no idea what was going, thankfully he never looked up.

So in this amount of time we hid four bags of weed, 3 smoking pipes, an ashtray full of roaches, beer for all of us, and a stowaway. We laughed our *** of all the way up the hill.

I'm sorry but he turned himself into a punch line for the weekend, every time we did anything, someone was yelling. Hey " I'm good ain't I "
Naiveambition is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #489
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

I was followed for about 2 miles threw town only to get pulled over 100 feet from mine. I was also running 35" Boggers(key point) at the time.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Because I have no windshield?
Officer: You have no windshield?
Me: No, I have eye protection like a motorcycle. Pointing to my glasses.
Officer:No, the reason I stopped you is that we have received complaints about a loud radio in a yellow Jeep.
Me: This Jeep with this radio? I pointed at an old cassette deck and 2 equally old rear deck speakers.
Officer: (chuckling)I know you are not the only yellow jeep in town but we have to check all we see.
Me: Do you want me to turn it up to see how loud it is?
Officer: No, that won't be necessary. I'm sure it isn't any louder than those tires.

Unread 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #490
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I can picture it being built enough that it needed a higher rpm for the cam...
I can't... It's probably safe to say I've had a few "built" setups over the years, and none of them have had to idle at 20MPH!
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #491
Gaducker
1983 CJ8 

I just got pulled the other day for 50 in 35 at the local speed trap, Bad thing is its two blocks from where I work and I know they are there all the time.
Well theres a woman in front and behind me just crying there heads off and when an officer finally gets up there to me he said whats the hurry, I say no hurry this old jeep wont get in no hurry, then we kinda stare at each other for a second and I then blurt out, HEY if I cry like those women can I get off with a warning??? He didn't like that. When he handed me the ticket I looked at and said Thanks, Have a good day and I will see you on the court date. I thought he was gona cry when I said that. He turned all red and looked like he was gona blow a gasket. The whole time I was sitting there the cummins was just as loud as ever, I told him I could not cut it off when I was first stopped because it would not crank back up.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #492
PlWanker
1981 CJ5 

Mine is not a jeep...or even a car.
I had just started college in Lubbock and a week before classes I was out riding my bicycle around campus. Lubbock is very flat (like stand on a tuna can and look real hard to see the back of your head flat) so I could build some pretty good speed. I was headed back to my dorm room to get a bite to eat and decided to book it and see how fast I could go. I am a pretty hefty guy (6foot 220+) but I was zipping down the road fast enough to start catching up with the cars on the street.
Then I hear a whoop-whoop from a police car, and turn to look. There is campus cop with his lights on pointing to pull over...I start to slow and he whips around me and slides to a stop in front of the still moving me. I almost hit him trying to get the binders turned to 10 on the bike. The exchange to this day still makes my in-laws laugh.
Officer: What do you think you are doing?
Me: Riding my bike (I think he is joking)
Officer: Do you have any idea how fast you were going?
Me: (Still thinking its a joke) No sir, I did not check my speedo...what did ya clock me at?
Officer: D@mnit son do you know how dangerous it is to speed down these streets? I clocked you at 34, the limit is 20 on this street.
Me: Ya don't say, I glad you were able to catch up to me then.
Officer: Are you getting smart with me boy?
Me: (I thought this was a freshman hazing thing or a candid camera joke) Well sir...one of us has to be smart.

He gave me a heck of a lecture on the dangers of speed, and how a ticket could get me kicked out of the university and so on. Still gives me a chuckle to thing about getting pulled over on my bicycle.
PLW
PlWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #493
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A kid i worked with got a DUI on his bicycle going one late after work on night...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #494
PlWanker
1981 CJ5 

You would think that they would have only given a PI for being drunk in "publik".
Catch someone in a bad day of work though.

I got stopped for 37 in a 35...flipped a U cause she did not like the way I "came around the corner". Tried to explain body roll in an SUV but she would have none of it. Got off with a warning, which my dad framed.
PLW
PlWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #495
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie564 View Post
A kid i worked with got a DUI on his bicycle going one late after work on night...
Wouldn't that be a BUI?
Freedom Top (Black) Soft Top (Black) 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels TUFFY Security Drawer Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights JK 6-Switch sPOD Source SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate Cobra 75 WX ST 4' Wilson Antenna AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System Hella FF 500 Driving Lights Hella Black Magic Driving Lights Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier XRC8 Winch 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension Bilstein Shocks RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1958
NRA Patron Life Member
ThunderFoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.