The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ... - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ...

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #466
Bakunin
1985 CJ7 

corrections

OK folks, I noticed this thread popped up again and I decided to revisit the story of my friend driving home from the bar as posted in message #157 in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/du...7/index11.html

So, I emailed my friend who was the subject of that message and, much to my chagrin, he had a few corrections for me. However, I believe you folks might find them entertaining!

Quote:
Heh. Pretty close! Only a few details were out of whack.

1. It was Sausalito where the drinking occurred, not Oakland (specifically: This place http://www.yelp.com/map/patersons-bar-sausalito), and the bridge was the Golden Gate bridge. That's where I did most of my sobering up, since it was cold and windy.

2. I was pulled over for an expired registration, actually (d'oh!), not bad driving (I think the hand had come away from the other eye by the time I got to the presidio, where I got pulled over).

3. My buddy actually fired into the air about a block away, not the bay. The latter would have been far more responsible! No idea where those rounds came down. Also, the next morning we found a shell casing on the roof of his car, lodged in the ski rack. That would have been another "D'oh!" if he'd gotten pulled over!

4. I was actually pulled over by 2 cops. The first did the tests, the 2nd was calling for the breathalyzer / blood test when the shots rang out and we all ducked behind the patrol car.

Good times, good times..
He told me this story circa 1997/1998 so forgive my earlier inaccuracies.

Unread 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #467
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Way back when I was stationed at Ft Bragg I was also a bouncer at a less than reputable live rock club called The Flaming Mug. Leaving after cleanup one night I was pulled over less than 1/4 mile down the road. Obviously the officer was looking for DUI's so I handed him my information and expected to get an all clear pretty fast. He had me get out of the car and I angered him by making the remark that he was wasting my time when I didn't do anything wrong. He pipes up and angrily said .... "Son, with your attitude I have half a mind to blow you!" I started laughing and said I wasn't that type ... maybe he needed to go work in a Navy town He thought about what he said and laughed a bit too. Turns out he let me go and we both got a good laugh out of it.

And no offense to you Navy guys ...

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #468
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This time it happened to my wife... this past Oct (and she was willing to pay the fine), she was hit for 75 in a 35 zone. It was a definite speed trap. Time of day put the sun in drivers eyes aking it impossible to read the speedo... problem is she was not doing 75 and El Porko was almost 190 yards off the road bed. being an Electonics Engineer, ham radio operator and techno junkie I knew what to do and diagrammed everything. When we went into court the cop sadly showed up. I had to ask permission to ask the officer questions since I wasnt a lawyer but was present at the issuance of the citation. Question one: what made you notice the jeep? Answer: Just the display of speed on the speed laser unit. Q2: so it didnt seem to be traveling at excessive speed on the residential street? A2: not that I recall. Q3: what do you target with the laser? A3: The front license plate. Q4 Didnt the swinging hook from the recovery winch affect the reading? A4: What winch? Q5: The 12000 lb winch that is mounted on the front of the jeep A5: I would have seen a winch that weighs that much even though I WAS sitting over a block away... Judge: DISMISSED!
nectoxicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #469
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectoxicdragon View Post
This time it happened to my wife... this past Oct (and she was willing to pay the fine), she was hit for 75 in a 35 zone. It was a definite speed trap. Time of day put the sun in drivers eyes aking it impossible to read the speedo... problem is she was not doing 75 and El Porko was almost 190 yards off the road bed. being an Electonics Engineer, ham radio operator and techno junkie I knew what to do and diagrammed everything. When we went into court the cop sadly showed up. I had to ask permission to ask the officer questions since I wasnt a lawyer but was present at the issuance of the citation. Question one: what made you notice the jeep? Answer: Just the display of speed on the speed laser unit. Q2: so it didnt seem to be traveling at excessive speed on the residential street? A2: not that I recall. Q3: what do you target with the laser? A3: The front license plate. Q4 Didnt the swinging hook from the recovery winch affect the reading? A4: What winch? Q5: The 12000 lb winch that is mounted on the front of the jeep A5: I would have seen a winch that weighs that much even though I WAS sitting over a block away... Judge: DISMISSED!
hahahaha thats great
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #470
SMPress
1984 CJ7 

Well, my story was in a Cherokee, not my CJ, but I will share it anyway. I was living in Atlanta when the Olympics came to town. We had extended family in from all over to go to the games, and come for a visit. I was taking 4 people downtown for the day. I was dropping them off at the MARTA stop, and going on to work. The parking lot for the lot was full, and a chain was drawn across the entrance because of this. There was no shoulder to pull over onto to drop these folks off, so I entered the parking lot through the exit, thinking I don’t need to park, just drop them off and be on my way. Well, I don’t know where the guy was when I made the turn, but as I am in the parking lot, I see lights behind me. I stop my car, and the next thing we know, BOOM, we have been rear ended! We sit there for a moment, and the cop comes up to my window, looks in, and with a straight face says "I'm really sorry about that, no one ever stopped before!" It took everything I had not to bust out laughing at his statement. Luckily, I had expired Texas plates, so I was on my best behavior, otherwise I may have been arrested for cracking up in his face! As it was, I was able to play off the plate issue, as I had an inspection sticker in the front window that hadn’t expired yet, and told them that Texas stopped issuing stickers on plates and started putting them in windows.

I ended up sitting there for about 2 hours because of this; they had to send a special unit down, and take pictures and statements. I got three follow up phone calls after that. I think they were worried that I would sue or something. I was just happy to not get a ticket for the expired plates that I hadn’t transferred to GA even though I had been living there for about 8 months.

I did have one interesting stop in my 81 CJ back in 89 or 90. I was out at about 3 am coming home from my friend’s house. I had a switch on the floor for changing between high and lo beams. I don’t know if that is the standard location or not, my 84 CJ has it mounted up near the e-break release. Anyway, I had some dried leaves down in the corner there, I never used a top or doors, even in rain and snow, I was young and dumb. So, I get a short or something in the switch, and it starts a fire. I pull over, and stomp the fire out, but when I am done, I have no headlights. I am on the side of the road, and nowhere to go. I quickly decide I want to make it home before day break, about a 45 minute drive, so I whip out my 4 cell mag light. I end up holding it over the windshield, steering with my knees when I needed to shift. I made it to within a mile and a half of my home, and I see a cop ahead of me on a two lane road. He is behind a car he pulled over on the other side of the road, going the opposite direction of me. Of course he leaves them, and comes over to get me. We have a bit of a conversation. I tell the story, and while still sitting in the driver’s seat and holding the mag, lite offer for him to stick his head down there and smell the remnants of the fire to prove that it had just happened, and was not a long existing problem. He proceeds to put his hand on his side arm and say "no thanks". I got lucky with this one too; he only gave me a repair ticket, and had me follow him to my house with his lights on so that I wouldn’t get hit by anyone...
SMPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #471
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Not as in depth or funny as some of these. i was at a stoplight during a leg of a marathon waiting for them to pass. I had just installed my infinity speakers, tuffy lock box, amp, and head unit. I was rocking out to Disturbed and I look up and see the cop directing traffic look at me and he just points his finger to the ground over and over. I turned my stereo down a bit and went on my way. He coulda been a d*ck but he had better things to do. I like hearing stories about officers bein friendly and cool, I think they take too much rap for being a$$holes...
silentmike29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #472
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Had a sheriff stop up at my house at about 5am one morning a month ago. We were in the garage drinking beer after an all-night pong party and absolutely blasting music through my band's gear. I had two 2x12 column PA speakers hooked up along with a 4x10 bass cab, a 15+10 bass cab, a 2x12 guitar cab, a 4x12 guitar cab, and two monitors...all mixed with power conditioner, huge preamp, HD audio cables, full board/EQ, and multiple inputs. We stacked everything and made a mega wall of tunes! It was pretty excessive...but awesome!

He knocks, comes in as my friend runs and kills the tunes, he sees we're all obviously over 21. He stares at the absurd speaker setup for a few moments, clearly puzzled. Says "just wanted to stop and ask you to turn that down". I asked if there were any complaints (my closest neighbors are 400+ yds), to which he replied..."well no, but I can feel it AND hear it all the way up the road...have a good day". And with that, he headed out.

That was about the time we all went to bed. No big deal...not stupid, but for once a NICE cop story, silentmike29.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #473
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Back in the 80's I was driving a Chevy Pickup with 40" Mudders and a supercharged engine.

One day I was headed home after the bar closed. Now anyone that has driven horsepower knows it is nearly impossible not to use it. On my way home I stopped for a red light. Not a car was in sight so I thought what the hell it must be time for a burn-out. Keep in mind this truck had over 500 horse and a burn out was nothing even with 40's. That being said, it was an impressive burn-out. The back tires would actually swell up like a drag tire. A few blocks later I pull up into my driveway. When I jump out to go in the house there is cop parked in my driveway right behind me without his lights on. When I jumped out all I could think about was that I was on my way to jail and am getting arrested in my driveway. I walked back to his car and to my amazement all he said was, "I cant believe that truck can do that". He asked if I lived there and if I was in for the night. I said yes and he said to have a nice night and left with a huge smile on his face. Ah, the good old days. Several days later I ran into a few police sitting at the coffee shop and they said "We heard about that truck". Nothing dumb but another nice cop story.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #474
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

MAN that is one beautiful truck!! What happened to it?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #475
FrnchDp

1986 CJ7 

Back in my college days, on my way to work on an early Sunday morning, I came up a side street to a main one. Cross traffic was at a red light, so I stopped, and made a legal right turn into the main street. 6 blocks later, a cop coming the opposite way flips a B behind me and lights up. I pull off to a side street, he walks up and tells me I was speeding. To which I reply that I wasn't (true). He tells me that I had to be speeding since I was ahead of the pack of vehicles behind me (the ones who were at the red light...). An attempt at a respectful retort led to a vague threat of arrest... couldn't be late for work..

Another had to do with my passing a slow swerving landscape p/u with landscape tools loosely attached, bouncing around. The road turned into a double lane one-way, so I passed on the right. Pulled over 4 blocks later, where I was able to point out the dangerous, slow moving truck to the police officer.. I still got the ticket for going 37 in a 35...

2000 WJ Limited - V8-287
FrnchDp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #476
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jeepincj7 View Post
MAN that is one beautiful truck!! What happened to it?
Thanks man. I ended up selling it to a buddy after I had a few kids and just couldn't keep it anymore. It was a nice arrangement since I could still drive it when ever I wanted to. He kept it for awhile and then ended up basically ruining it. Traded the supercharger for a three wheeler, painted some lame stripes on it, remove the fuel cell (Which I still have), put door handles back on it among other mistakes. The guy that bought it after that drove it into the ground. It now sits in his garage rusted and neglected. I sure had a blast with it. Wheeled it almost every Sunday year round, cleaned it all week, showed it in an occasional Saturday car show and wheeled it again on Sunday. It was amazingly fast. By the way everything is made out of Stainless Steel.

It would be great to have been able to keep it but without a doubt I still like my Jeep better in all ways except power.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #477
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
Way back when I was stationed at Ft Bragg I was also a bouncer at a less than reputable live rock club called The Flaming Mug.

Ha!

I remember that place.
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #478
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

I think we need to revive this thread and change it to "All the silly things people say to Cops." Maybe there are enough of us on here, or at least we have enough stories.
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #479
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Too many inputs that are missing the point. There is no disrepect for the boys in blue but boy the stupidity that happens in the name of the law almost belongs on Darwin! Case and point. It's not a Jeep story. I do have some more to post when I have the time but you'll love this one.

I had a Gran Prix. She was my baby and built to hall #%$#! I was in the process of moving and I needed some caffine to take the edge off what were becoming some very long days. I rolled up to the local 7-11 in my GP. As soon as I made the turn into the parking lot I knew I was in trouble. My foot went strait to the floor when I pushed the brake. My GP idled at 20mph and I knew at that minute the only choise I had was going to be ugly. I aimed my car at the huge cement trash cans that sit in front of all the 7-11 and pushed it through the window right up against the counter! No one was hurt. I got out of my car and the popo's were quick to get there. He asked me what happened with a little smirk. I explained that the brakes failed. He asked me how much I had to drink. I said nothing; not a drop. He started me doing the field sobrity test. Not satisfied that their could be a legitimate brake failure he got in the car and pushed on the brakes and they worked! He turns and ask "What kind of drugs have you been taking tonight son?" as so on until the cop was finally out of reasons to detain me. I was more then a little frustrated at his crass attitude towards me. I ask if I could pull the car out of the window and he insisted that it had to be him. I warned him that the car idled at 20mph and would take off like a bat out of hell. He got it the GP and threw it into reverse at the same time he put his foot into the break......that now that the car was running went strait to the floor. His patrol car was 4 car lenghts back and with delight I watched as the Popo who wouldn't listen to me now had an accident report to file on his own cruiser and my GP with him behind the wheel! He threw it into park as it was rolling back and as the parking pawl ratchetted tick tick tick and the inevitable crunch of the cop who wouldn't listen or trust me crashed into his own patrol car! Now he had to fill out 2 accident reports!

I have a bunch more. I love this thread!
Out of curiosity why did your Grand Prix "idle at 20mph?" and why didn't your Grand Prix have a neutral position on the transmission or a parking/emergency brake?
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #480
draperjojo
1984 CJ7 

About 20 years ago I was headed out the local freeway to make sales calls, going 68mph using cruise control. As I rounded a curve the speed limit dropped to 55mph but I didn't notice the sign. About 1/4mile up the road from the sign, I realized there were flashing lights in my rear view mirror.

The highway patrolman who looked all of 14 years old told me that there was a speed change on the road and that he was going to HAVE to write me a ticket. Well,...I figured if I was already getting the ticket......lol. I said,"You know, the last time I got a speeding ticket you were probably playing in your sandbox"....and he didn't like that much......so, anyway he wrote the ticket and handed it to me. His name tag said J. R. Johnson......so I said "Thanks junior"........he said "my name is J.R."......I said, "Whatever".....I'm sure that little curve in the road was his honey hole for writing tickets
draperjojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.