The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The DUMBEST Thing A Cop Has Said To You While Driving Your CJ...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
08JGCOilBurner

2008 WK 

Maybe not so funny.... Many years ago...

17 years old and hauling up an overpass on Sunrise Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale. I was speeding. 20 over easy... Maybe around midnight...

As I crest the hill there's a Broward Sheriff with another "patron" pulled over on my right. I try to slow but he sees me.

He drops the citizen and hauls butt after me. I pull over and he makes me and my buddy Mark get out, his pistol is drawn - and he is melting down. He shoves the gun in my face and God as my witness, cocks the freakin' hammer. He's screaming that he "has to clean up the whole place.." and forcibly crams me his unit's back seat.

He tells Mark to wait.

Gets in the front, pistol still in his right hand, and we're off. Well over 100 mph blasting thru intersections with him waving the pistol screaming (and I do mean screaming) about the $%^&heads etc. that are ruining his life.

I didn't say anything. My dad was the Chief in the town we were lunatic LeMansing. I was shocked - always raised to COMPLETELY trust officials

Finally told my dad several days later - he checked with Mark and he flipped. He investigated quitely. It was decided that I 'd go to court.

In court the judge was primed, and the officer was asked about our joyride. He had actually bragged about this to other officers, two who were friends of my dad's. He said he was just "teaching me a lesson". My dad's friends were in court and arrested the instantly former sheriff for reckless endangerment. One of the officers told me: "That's what we get for hiring little boys that live with their mommies". I'll never forget any of this.

Judge told ex-sheriff he was lucky it wasn't kidnapping.

I got one for 20 over. Told the truth and learned a lesson.

I'm now 50 with three sons who know this story and their rights. Thank God for cell phones now. And one hell of a father then. I miss him.

dad-funeral.jpg  
Orlando, FL
Wish list: FUEL INJECTION, CRABTREE'S METAL WORKING TALENT & ROLL CAGE, STRENK'S 12 VOLTS of GENIUS & HAMMER'S KNOWLEDGE and DIPLOMACY...

"A dad without money is just another guy who sleeps with mom..." M. Weitzel

If your neighborhood’s economy is more defined by Craigslist than the New York Stock Exchange – you may be a redneck. - I made that up.
08JGCOilBurner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #32
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I get stopped about once a month in the summer... Seat belts.
I don't have shoulder strap ('73) so I lift up my GUT and show them the seat belt and all is well...

Most of our cops are just great guys,
Small town, Rural area, so they understand these are their friends and neighbors...
It's the 5% that think EVERYONE is suspect for some heinous crime that bother me!

One time, not too long ago, I was teaching a neece to drive a clutch,
We were back on a new, hilly section of housing devlopment, so no residents yet, and on weekends, it's a ghost town,
Perfect for teaching...

She's busy trying to start the thing for about the 40th time that morning (up hill, clutch, brake and gas pedal is a Pain to master when you've never done it before...)

And the local veteran cop sits a ways behind us, Patitently, and waits until she FINALLY gets us going and we make the turn and come around to do it again.

About 30 minutes later, the cop is back...
Off duty, parked in the grass at the stop sign, carrying a beer...

He says, "I been watching her, and you are going to need a neck brace when this is over!" and starts laughing, handing me a beer!
Later goes on to say, "I sure hope you have TWO insurance policies on that Jeep if she drives it!"

GREAT GUY!
Never asked what was going on, never gave us a ton of crap, never came closer than about 1/2 city block behind us (GOOD THING TOO! She was drifting back pretty far sometimes!)...

He decided since I had a driver to get me home, I could have a beer while he did his 'Second' job, private security for the contractor building the homes up there...
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #33
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

About 4 years ago I was issued a ticket for improper lights on a vehicle. I was in the fox mill area, and was driving through one of the neighborhoods with a couple of friends in the jeep. As I was driving through, I saw a VW golf with the front end all smashed up in the middle of the road and no driver in sight. At the time the jeep that i was driving was equipped with a set of front and back clear strobe lights, with an amber beacon and amber lights in the back (same equipment that tow trucks, or utility vehicles use. So with the car in the middle of the road and traffic coming in I turned on my hazards and ambers. As I'm calling the cops, a fairfax county officer pulls around the corner, around the wrecked car and stops right in front of mine. She then tells me to get out of the vehicle and explain what I was doing there. I comply and tell her what I saw and turned on my lights to warn oncoming traffic. She then asked me if I was involved in the hit and run accident, and asks if my jeep was the BMW that crashed into the golf, I asked her to run my plates and allowed her to inspect my rig for damage (there was none) She then calls for backup, comes back and asks me why I am impersonating a police officer with the ambers and writes me a ticket. I asked her what I was in violation for as Virginia allows civilians to have and use white/amber lights in emergency situations (ask I clearly did). She still writes me the ticket and tells me off. Needles to say I went to court, the Judge didn't even ask me if I was guilty or not, but asked if I had taken care of the lights. I told him the situation and stated that I was not in violation of anything, then he dismissed the case.

Another time in FFX county I was pulled over on a sunday afternoon right after I bought my old FSJ. I had farm tags on the jeep and my friend was following behind. As I was at the traffic light a FFX county cop pulls around and nearly clips my friend's truck to get behind me to pull over (for a wire for the trailer dragging on the ground). He asked for license and reg. I gave him my license and explained that I just bought the jeep and didn't have a registration yet (I showed him the title with the data of purchase, which was that day) as it was a sunday, and that I would go first thing in monday morning to DMV. He then writes me up for improper registration, possession of an open title, and no state inspection tickets. The state inspection ticket was fine (since that was a cheap fine), but the other 2 where class 1 misdemeanors and could carry jail time with them, I asked the cop if that was necessary as I'm just trying to get home, and his response was "How would you like me to impound this pile of crap and take you to jail. You're lucky that I'm letting you drive this home". As he is writing up all these tickets another cop shows up and tells me that my radiator is leaking. I told him that I was aware of this and was about to stop at a gas station to re-fill antifreeze before they closed and head home. After an hour of sitting on the side of the road, he gives me my tickets and I head off. As I'm heading home (gas station was now closed) my radiator hose bursts in half and engine stopped. At this point I was going home with 3 tickets and out $200 since I had to call in a tow at 11pm. Went to court both the judge and prosecutor had to look up the possession of open title charge as they never saw that before. The judge soon realized that the officer tried to nail me with any charge that he could and quickly dismissed all 3 charges as I took care of all paperwork day after tickets.

Now I try everything that I can to stay away from fairfax. Never had a problem with any other cop from other jurisdictions though.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/frankin_rubi-tj-build-1140219
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was pulled over in western VA one time for speeding in my pickup. Cop says "you know, those bigger tires throw off your speedo, so you probably didnt realize you were speeding". To which I replied "I've recalibrated the truck, speedo is right on". Basically from there he proceeded to tell me that isnt possible and tried explaining to me how a bigger tire makes me go faster with each turn of the wheel, while the speedo still only calculates 1 turn, therefore reading a slower speed than Im going, etc etc...I think he's probably rehearsed that speech in front of the mirror before. Anyway, I ended up with a ticket for going 52 in a 40 or something like that First and only ticket I've ever gotten
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #35
benullman
1981 CJ7 

I got pulled over one time by a cop in the jeep. Me and my buddy got one of those 'great ideas' and took two of my dads motorcycle helmets, put them on with some safety GOGGLES we had, folded the windshield down, and went down the local highway (55mph) not speeding just having a fun time waving at people.

Then as we made a LEGAL U-turn a cop happened to be behind us and pulled me.

I asked him what the problem was, he said 'license, registration, and im riding without a windshield'. I said 'its right there and im wearing a helmet, its no different than a motorcycle'

I wasnt 100% sure on that but it made sense to me His buddy comes up as 'backup' and hes alittle older (50s?) and walks up and goes 'nice CJ7 boys!' (at this time I was going, ok this will be good) they stand back talking for a minute and the older gentlemen comes back with my papers and says 'you two have a nice day, nothings wrong just clean the bugs out of your teeth'

Other than that nothing bad......

Ben
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #36
08JGCOilBurner

2008 WK 

Great minds think alike, but so do serial killers......

Hysterical.
Orlando, FL
Wish list: FUEL INJECTION, CRABTREE'S METAL WORKING TALENT & ROLL CAGE, STRENK'S 12 VOLTS of GENIUS & HAMMER'S KNOWLEDGE and DIPLOMACY...

"A dad without money is just another guy who sleeps with mom..." M. Weitzel

If your neighborhood’s economy is more defined by Craigslist than the New York Stock Exchange – you may be a redneck. - I made that up.
08JGCOilBurner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
I was pulled over in western VA one time for speeding in my pickup. Cop says "you know, those bigger tires throw off your speedo, so you probably didnt realize you were speeding". To which I replied "I've recalibrated the truck, speedo is right on". Basically from there he proceeded to tell me that isnt possible and tried explaining to me how a bigger tire makes me go faster with each turn of the wheel, while the speedo still only calculates 1 turn, therefore reading a slower speed than Im going, etc etc...I think he's probably rehearsed that speech in front of the mirror before. Anyway, I ended up with a ticket for going 52 in a 40 or something like that First and only ticket I've ever gotten
Sounds like he was trying to give you and out, but you wanted the ticket anyways
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/frankin_rubi-tj-build-1140219
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #38
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

subscribe
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #39
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

"Sir, do you know how fast you were going?"

Hell yea I do, why else would you be pulling me over?

Dumbest question ever.

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #40
rcking323
2004 WJ 

One day I was driving down a road (which has lights that only stay yellow for 1.5 seconds even though the speed limits is 35) and I had to get into the right lane to take the correct turn. well I go to pass an OLD ford truck going about 20. As I get beside him, he matches my speed so I cant get infront, then does the saem as I try to slow down Since I knew if I came to a complete stop to get behind him he probably would have gone 20 or less again, I gave my Jeep (not a CJ, but still.. a Jeep) some hard gas to get infront. Just as I got infront of him I notced the traffic light about 100 feet away was yellow, so I had to either hit my brakes hard, and have this old ford likely hit me since I'm guessing the brakes wernt ideal, run a red light or give it gas again to get through before the light changed. I chose #3 and get through fine, then about 5 miles AFTER that turn i needed to take, I get pulled over going the speed limit. The cop tells me its cause i was going 55 (wasnt actually going that fast, but w/e) in a 35 at that traffic light. I procced to tell him the story about what happened and upon completion he says "Well, I can appriciate the fac that you were trying to avoid an accident, but I'm going to issue a ticket any way"

What cop basically says he agrees I did the right thing, but then issues a ticket any way??
rcking323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #41
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

1970 - Los Angeles - How to do a traffic stop without probable cause at 2:30 am:
Teenager, no Jeep yet....

Pulled over.
Cop: Sticks head in car and smells around
Me: (Sober and not doing anything wrong) "Why are you stopping me officer?"
Cop: (Realizing nothing wrong after all, cop thinks fast) "Well, uh, um,........your brake lights are not working"
Me: "They were fine earlier". I tell him to step on the brake pedal while I go back and look. He does this and I holler "They work fine".
Cop: "Well, um, uh.....you better have them checked. You can go".
Funny, never had a brake light problem after that.

1971 - Los Angeles - Cops with a sense of humor...
Driving down the boulevard at night, two weird guys in a car next to me deliberately 'dogging' me. I slow, they slow down. I speed up, they speed up. Several blocks later I take a sudden screaming ripping left turn to loose them. Few moments after that admittedly unsafe maneuver - flashing lights and siren, an unmarked police vehicle pulls me over.

Cop: (honest) "Where's the fire?"
Me: "Sorry officer, two creeps were following me and I ditched them".
Cop: (Laughs and looks down at his shoes) "That was me and my partner. You can go, just be careful."

1990 - Oregon - Night stop in the CJ by rookie cop....
Cop: "Do you know why I am pulling you over?"
Me: "No I don't Officer"
Cop: (As she cockily shines flashlight on my lap to display the lap belt and suddenly remembering that not all vehicles have three point restraints).... "Um, uh, uh.......you seemed to be driving erratically"
Me: "I don't think I was".............
Cop: "Well, some vehicles with wider tires just naturally wander more than others I guess". You can go".
Please award her for clever thinking!

And to the deputies and offices reading this, I eventually got a degree in administration of justice and spent many years in law enforcement and don't take other people's accounts with the police personally. My above experiences just made me better at my job.

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #42
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Not sure if this fits or not, but I was on a 4-lane area thru town, a Liberty and another compact SUV side by side down this road. Speed limit is 35. I'm topless, doorless in the CJ, right arm across the passenger seat back, on my way to work in the right lane. No idea on how fast we were going, and pass a sheriff in his big SUV. He pulls out, and comes up behind us, they turn into a gas station or whatever, leaving me to go about my way. I get pulled over, and he asks that usual question. I told him no I didn't know why he pulled me over, and he said I was doing 40-something in a 35 zone. I told him honestly I wasn't paying attention to speed, because I was behind those same 2 vehicles for the last mile or so, and they were doing 35 in the 40 zone. As he's waiting for me to get my license and registration, he keeps asking on his radio something about 'getting that information requested yet?'. I know what he was doing - he saw no seat belt, and since all 3 of us were going the same speed, he was trying to get me thinking he had 2 citations. I think the fact that I had to unbuckle my LAP BELT to get my wallet out he got the idea.. He never did get that info he was waiting for, but I did get a speeding ticket.. And honestly, we were in a 40 zone when passing him. They had turned off where it turned to 35...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #43
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
VirtualRussel
1985 CJ7 

Back in the late '80's (we were 19 at the time) I'm in my CJ-5 with a buddy driving from Atlanta to Memphis via back highways. About 11 PM at night we stop at a gas station in Cullman, AL, fill up, and get back on the road. Ten minutes later a State Trooper pulls me over, asks me if we have a cooler in the Jeep and, after confirming we did, he asked if he could see in it. I pull it out to let him look through it and after he's finished he proceeds to start cussing under his breath. I asked him what the problem was and he told us the lady running the gas station had seen two young kids drinking beer while filling up a Jeep in the middle of the night. It turns out the lady was only partially right. We had a cooler full of IBC Root Beer because we couldn't get it in Memphis at the time. He apologized and sent us on our way. We laughed about that for hours!
VirtualRussel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #45
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I remember having a brown bottle of pop in my hand one time driving my Jeep. Was always nervous, since no matter what I get pulled over for I get a ticket...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.