Dumb thing I did last night.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dumb thing I did last night..

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Dumb thing I did last night..

So my JK is up on blocks waiting for parts so I have to get the CJ check out for the drive into work. THe CJ has been sitting for months with the ocasional starting and running for a little while to keep it 'fresh'. So figuring I have some work to do no sense climbing in. Put the key in the ignition and notice the back up lights came on when the key was turned to "ON" thinking, "Thats great those lights circuits are still working" I proceeded to start the jeep up. Well, you can guess the rest. Fortunatly it was outside and had plenty of time/room to turn it off.

Since I've been so spoiled I think it's time to install a switch on the clutch pedal now.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

i hear you, John.

I used reach in my '56 each morning and bump the starter by hand, and it fired right up. I NEVER left it in gear.

One morning my dad couldn't quite squeeze behind it to get his truck out for some reason, so he pushed it forward a forward a few inches, and slid it into gear to hold it!

luckily, I only had to replace the lower garage door panel!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Hear ya, the last day I drove my CJ7 I was skidding logs in low range and hit the starter when in gear by mistake. I was up against a bank so it just jumped and couldn't go. It sounds like I actually snapped the nose bushing off the starter shaft. There was some rattling of chunks and the starter now drags big time. Oh well, something to look forward to changing in January in the snow when they let me drive and move around again.

Aren't CJ's fun....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
brian613
1977 CJ5 

i almost put mine through my chain link fence in my front yard but luckily the chain stretched some
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
mm1582
1977 CJ7 

I never leave mine in gear......Swapped the heater core out and forgot to pull the shifter back out of first. Guess I needed a new (more efficient) refrigerator anyway! Fortunately no beers were lost in this mishap.
mm1582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

I always start any car or truck I'm in, while pressing the clutch and the brake. Even motorcycles and mopeds. Jumpstarted a souped up moped once which took off on it's rear wheel...

Last edited by Hylke; 11-18-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: rear wheel makes more sense than back wheel doesn't it?
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

My parents taught me how to drive a manual before an automatic. It was 89 Maxima and you had to push the clutch in to start in. So it is second nature now to start the CJ with the clutch in. I sometimes even put my left foot on my brake when starting my WJ thinking it is a manual.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

LOL.. about 15 years ago I was at the shop late one night putting a Quaff limited slip in my race car. I let it down off of the jack stands at about midnight and reached in and hit the starter button to start it for a quick buzz around the block. I hadn't realized that I had bumped it into gear at some point and it lurched across the shop knocking two fairly expensive formula cars off of their high stands before I could shut it down..
I couldn't do much about the damaged cars at midnight so I decided to go ahead and take the spin around the block before I went home for the night.. Only problem was in all the excitement of knocking cars around I had forgotten to secure the hood pins on my car and folded the hood up over the top of the now broken windshield.

As long as we learn from our mistakes..
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

Well I'm glad to hear that one of our more senior members, "mentors" if you will, make mistakes also. Got a good chuckle. Glad to hear everything turned out ok.
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
RARECJ8

my buddy did some work on his toyota crawler and went to start it by reaching in to twist the key. it was earlier in neutral and had started it like that many times, however this time his kiddies were playing in the rig before he got home and kicked it into 1st gear. So, like john, you can predict the carnage. It destroyed his garage door and was half way across the street before he could get it turned off. The t-case was in lo range also...

we can never be too careful and double check our work before taking the next step.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Could be worse, i started mine up in 4 lo one time, only a few 2x4's suffered injury.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Before we replaced the slave on mine I had a similar incident. What lead to the replacement was I was starting to get a lot of air in the lines which left the clutch useless until I pumped the clutch a few times. I always leave it parked in reverse and as I was leaving one day after lunch I pressed the clutch, turned the key and off backwards and through the field I went. I was in such surprise at the moment I didn't even think of just turning it off I was to busy pumping the clutch and trying to pry it out of gear. Luckily I got it out of gear before I was on top of our crop.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
RARECJ8

who uses or needs a clutch for a manual tranny? sheesh...

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
IDK

I don't trust my Jeep to leave it sitting out of gear anymore. The very night I got my hardtop I backed it up to the shop so I could back in and clean the windows. I got out and left it running and went to unlock the shop, disable the alarm and go round up the glass cleaner and paper towels. Came back to open the garage door, where's the Jeep? I look across the driveway and there it is on the back bumper of my 76 GMC, I was sure it bashed in my last good fender but was fortunate as it only kinked the bumper a little! Whew! Ever since then I never leave it out of gear unattended!
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Unrelated to jeeps but related to "leaving it in gear" -- the shop next door let his buddy use his bay to install his remote starter. (newer truck) Well the guy for some reason left it in reverse and the safety switch for some other reason did not work.. so the truck went halfway through the door. Lucky for him it was in R and not in D, otherwise it would have ran his butt right over.

.. and since we here at JF all love pictures so much, here's the wreckage.

edit: dunno why my uploads didn't work, try it this way.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.