DUI install with factory tach - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > DUI install with factory tach

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

With this gadget, you simply unplug your module two wire connector,
Plug this thing into the harness side,
Then run a wire from the Crimp terminal at the top over to your HEI clone.
Use at least a 12 Ga. wire size, and you shouldn't have a problem with your factory Series type tach.

JeepHammer,

This is the EXACT one I will need, correct!?!? If so, I'm ordering right now. This is a much nicer, cleaner install. Thanks

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
JeepHammer,

This is the EXACT one I will need, correct!?!? If so, I'm ordering right now. This is a much nicer, cleaner install. Thanks
Correct.
That is the correct connector for any '78 to '86 CJ,
Or '78 to '90 (and some '91) FSJ's.

Just unplug the module 2 wire connector,
And plug this thing into the HARNESS side,
Then connect your 12 gauge wire to the blue crimp terminal on top over to the HEI clone 'Bat' terminal.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Funny thing, I was tracing out a cheap DuraSpark module circuit board about 15 min ago and I said. "Well, they even have a diode on the board on that wire."

One of these days I'll have top draw up that circuit. I bet the OEM is way different than these cheap substitutes.

I'm going to add one onto my Stealth box also. Time I pulled out the new Digital scope out anyway.
Digital Scope!....

Kind of funny the Virtual/Internet Azz Woopin' I took over things that are accepted now,

Large cap and rotor upgrade,
E-core coils,
Holleys for Off Road use,
Diodes in Alternator plugs,
Diodes in Module swaps,
Bad distributor gears,

Funny how the internet 'Experts' take 10 years to catch up!...

Now the same guys that gave me such a hard time have this stuff on their web sites trying to pass it off as their own ideas!
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Correct.
That is the correct connector for any '78 to '86 CJ,
Or '78 to '90 (and some '91) FSJ's.

Just unplug the module 2 wire connector,
And plug this thing into the HARNESS side,
Then connect your 12 gauge wire to the blue crimp terminal on top over to the HEI clone 'Bat' terminal.

You the man! Thanks for everything thus far JeepHammer and Mr. Strenk!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Digital Scope!....

.Funny how the internet 'Experts' take 10 years to catch up!...

Now the same guys that gave me such a hard time have this stuff on their web sites trying to pass it off as their own ideas!
10 Years... Gawd, I remember those post. Has it been that long???
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
10 Years... Gawd, I remember those post. Has it been that long???
Yup, I first turned the idea of the upgraded cap and rotor loose to fight the rush to Jacobs ignitions in '99.
Remember the 'Jacobs Omni-Pack' ignitions that were choking off roading at the time?
Grossly inflated prices, Failure rates that had to be 50% or more, Horrible customer service, sometimes taking over a YEAR to return Warranty work,
And that was *IF* you could get warranty!
Most of the time they just told you it was YOUR FAULT,
Or you were out of the 90 Day warranty period!

I can't believe people were sinking $500 in something that only had a 90 Day warranty!
That's why I headed up the REVOLT in the first place!

Factory distributors were fine, you didn't need Jacobs or DUI (which was $500 at the time!)
And MSD 6 series modules were $130 at the time!
No reason NOT to use the factory distirbutor, larger caps and rotors, and slap an MSD on there!

Same thing I've been saying for 10 years now!
(do I sound like a broken record yet? )
---------------------------------

The first Alternator posts were in '98 where I got my azz kicked for saying that dual batteries were better for you than dual alternators,
And for saying you could use a 'Motorcraft' (Ford) alternator for a better welder than a GM 10 SI that everyone was so keen on...

Then there was the whole 'TFI' (E-core coil) thing where I got told I was a moron for even thinking about using the ford 'TFI COIL'....
And trying to explain that 'TFI' was a MODULE, not a COIL,
The coil was an 'E-core'...

At the time, I really though it was the junk 'Clone' makers disguising themselves, trying to discredit the upgraded parts...

Now I don't think that...
I think it was just a few guys that considered themselves 'Experts' and took it upon themselves to discredit the upgrades, ect...

The one I remember the most was 'Trail Ride' or whatever his username was...
He claimed to be an 'Electrical Engineer' at a power plant and crapped all over using a Diode in an alternator or ignition circuit...

He had an elaborate web site with several pages dedicated to discrediting the theory of using diodes for ANYTHING...

Turns out, he was a JANITOR! He swept floors & took out trash in a power plant!
(good job!, but a LONG WAY from an Electrical Engineer!)

So I took particular joy in explaining to him that EVERY alternator out there has AT LEAST 9 Diodes in it from the factory!
(at LEAST 6 in the rectifier, 3 in the 'Diode Trio' for internal power/ Internal voltage sample)

A bunch more if you count the voltage regulator!

And that modern electronic ignitions aren't possible without diodes and other 'Semi-Conductors'...

It's been 3 or 4 years since I last visited his web site,
But he had MY WIRING DIAGRAMS, and MY TEXT COPIED WORD FOR WORD,
And was trying to pass off COPYRIGHTED DIAGRAMS as his own... RECOMMENDING DIODES IN EVERYTHING!

(Just for fun, I had the lawyer send him a 'Cease & Desist' letter!
$125 spent on sheer entertainment!)

Don't know if he actually took the copyrighted stuff down or not, but it was worth the expense just to imagine him crapping his pants when that registered letter showed up!

It would be just pain STUPID for me to chase everyone that has copied the diagrams, text, ect. I posted up at one time or another, especially since it's not a business, I'm doing this for free!

Our last COMPANY patent/copyright infringement case cost us $1.3 Million to prosecute,
And we won a judgment for costs ($1.3 Million), plus ongoing royalties amounting to about $150K a year...
The company simply went under rather than pay the judgment!
For $1.3 million we would up with some stray shelving racks, tables, a broken down forklift, some telephones, outdated computers and broken down printers and other office equipment...

So I don't think I'm going after anyone for copyright infringement,
And there are no patent issues involved with this FREE stuff we do on the forums or hobby web sites!
So I'll be damned if I'm going to spend more than 'Entertainment' money on a lawyer!
-----------------------------------------

Then there is 'Stale Dale'....
Argued for over a YEAR that diodes WERE NOT NEEDED in ignition or charging circuits!
Called me every name in the book!

After someone sit down and explained to him what a Diode was, and how it worked,
He's actually got diagrams where he uses 4 or 5 diodes in a row to reduce forward voltage, instead of using a resistor!!!
(Someone should explain 'Resistor' to him!)

And there again, he's redrawn my diagrams (poorly),
Made mistakes, and is trying to pass it off as his own.

Last time I was linked to one of his pages,
He had some of your switch/wiring pictures you had labeled the parts on posted as his own...
I thought that was pretty funny!

The guy has NEVER had an orignal though in his head,
But he craps on everyone, steals the work, and proclaims himself as the 'Expert' on the subject!

I guess you can be anything on the internet, if you can get someone to believe it!...

Just for the record,
I'm a fat, German Farm Boy that gets along with gears and wires better than people,
And I make NO CLAIMS about being an 'Expert' or 'Authority' on the subject.
I'm learning EVERY DAY, that means I don't 'Know It All'!

That by no means excludes me as knowing what I'm talking about!

I do have a pretty good grasp on working electronics, and the assioated mechanical parts of an ignition, alternator, engine, ect.
So if anyone wants to DISCUSS the pros or cons of this or that,
I'm all for it!
I LOVE discussions with people that are versed in the subjects and can debate an issue without making it personal, and can back up what they say with good SCIENCE!

Kicking ideas back and forth is where I come up with most of this stuff!
Having people add little bits here are there from the own particular specialty fields makes for a better general install all the way around,
SO WE ALL BENEFIT! (Cause you KNOW we are going to publish it!)
------------------------------

If they want to start an argument... Make something personal...
Then keep in mind I'm a meat eater,
German with bad temper,
And if you want to argue, fight and snipe,
You had better come loaded for bear with facts, footnotes, references, ect.!

I stand on STRONG electrical principal, mechanical principal, chemistry, metallurgy, and if you make it personal, and make a mistake...
Well, when you stumble in the woods the bear doesn't care how he gets his meal!

Last edited by JeepHammer; 02-11-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not sure if there are any ghosts left in this long dead thread but I just ordered a performance distributors DUI and am looking forward to getting it going. I have a nuttered 89 258 someone stuck a points distributor in and am wondering if there is an adapter like this one for the 89 too.

"You can plug your new HEI clone right into the part on the left with the Red & White wires.

This piece shown on the left plugs into the harness side of that module 2 wire connector, and will keep your factory 'Series' tach working just fine with the clone HEI's.

With this gadget, you simply unplug your module two wire connector,
Plug this thing into the harness side,
Then run a wire from the Crimp terminal at the top over to your HEI clone.
Use at least a 12 Ga. wire size, and you shouldn't have a problem with your factory Series type tach.

You will only use the part on the right, the 'SAE' plug and little connectors shouldn't be needed for your HEI clone."_______

my 89 has a yellow and a green wire at the 2 point plug that was in the ignition module. at the coil the yellow wire is present but the green wire is replaced with a green wire with a white stripe down the center[tach wire].
I want to keep my original tach working and am just now looking into how to hook this dizzy up..i actually believe some children would be better at wiring than myself but im gonna give it a shot. my research shows an awful lot of examples for the cj 258 and this dui but I cant find any good stuff on the 89 yj . that summit link is dead as well..any help around? tx
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'm not familiar with the YJ tach setup. Is it a Series tach like the CJ or set up like an aftermarket tach using the (-) side of the coil.

If it is the (-) coil side, there is usually a "Tach" plug on the distributor you can use.

If it is a series tach, then you will have to run the power wire that originally went to your ICM to power the distributor.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I put a 305 with the factory distributor in a '89 YJ , it replaced a 4 cyl.
The factory tach will work correctly with your new DUI HEI. Plug the YJ tach wire into the connection on the HEI cap marked tach.
I went from a 4 to 8cyl and the tack reads double, I have yet to put a resistor in to make it work right.

The YJ tack is the same as a aftermarket one.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well that is great news about the tach wire ,tx!! I suppose I will still want to pull power from the "yellow power wire " back at the icm plug[harness side] due to gauge of wire?...I think I read somewhere[maybe this post] that I am ideally looking for like a 10 gauge wire for the dui.
I am really bad at electronic signal chain so hopefully I am not missing any steps other than these 2 above and properly setting the unit in the motor. I was for a minute confused by battery relay/alt diode/tach compatibility etc.. but I guess that was referring to more of the CJ wiring.
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #26
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestJeep89 View Post
Well that is great news about the tach wire ,tx!! I suppose I will still want to pull power from the "yellow power wire " back at the icm plug[harness side] due to gauge of wire?...I think I read somewhere[maybe this post] that I am ideally looking for like a 10 gauge wire for the dui.
I am really bad at electronic signal chain so hopefully I am not missing any steps other than these 2 above and properly setting the unit in the motor. I was for a minute confused by battery relay/alt diode/tach compatibility etc.. but I guess that was referring to more of the CJ wiring.
Just make sure it has power during cranking.

On the CJ, power is usually Red and that's the color running to the ICM.
On the CJ, Accessories is usually Yellow. No power during cranking.

But you have a YJ so double check your wires
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A 10g wire to the DUI isn't needed, 12g will be more than enough. IIRC, GM only used a 14g .
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.