DUI drive gear?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > DUI drive gear??

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

DUI drive gear??

After reading a few posts, I'm seeing that HEI/DUI drive gears are tearing up cam gears. Is this inherent in all HEI type distributors? Do I need to panic or at least stop driving my Jeep till I replace the distributor drive gear? I still have the old distributor so I have parts, but how necessary is it? And, why would a new distributor have a gear that's not compatible with other engine parts? I sent an email to Performance Distributors asking them the same questions but I'm thinking the Jeep forum would know more about our specific engines and issues so I'll consider the responses here more thoroughly. Thanks.

My engine is a fairly new crate 304 with a mild cam.

geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

The problem isn't with DUI brand HEI distributors. It's mainly with the cheaper HEI's that are using hardened gears.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

JH had the view that DUI were better than the average but why take the risk???

The problem is that the HEI is out of a GM engine that had different specs. As stated by John it is the hardness of the gear that is a concern, if too hard it will eat the softer metal of the cam.

It is a straightforward swap between distributors.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
RDH

I don't see it spelled out clearly so I'll say it now. PUT THE DRIVE GEAR FROM YOUR OLD DISTRIBUTOR ON THE NEW ONE!
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"And, why would a new distributor have a gear that's not compatible with other engine parts?"
No NEW cam gear is compatible w/an old/used cam gear, already in your engine..
RDH said it best.
Search function "cam/dizzy gear" whoulda told ya that.
Sorry if that sounds harsh..no java yet.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The problem is that the HEI is out of a GM engine that had different specs. As stated by John it is the hardness of the gear that is a concern, if too hard it will eat the softer metal of the cam.
It has nothing to do with the specs of the HEI. These hardened gears aren't the stock HEI gears. The stock HEI gears have the cut going the opposite direction as AMC gears, so they can't be used to begin with.

The problem gears are cheapo AMC V8 gears that are installed on cheapo HEI units made offshore.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Has anyone had any issues with the gears that come on the re-man'd Motorcraft distributers?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
RDH

Depends... Ford had different gear materials for different engines (ie roller vs. mechanical). Regardless, you never EVER put new gears in with old ones. This goes for axle gearing, engine gears (diesels), distributors , etc. After a TON of miles racked up, the gears wear in together making them a matched set. There's no better way to destroy a perfectly good gear and littering your oil system with metal than to install old on new.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.