DUI Distributor and now no TACH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > DUI Distributor and now no TACH

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Bruner3
1985 CJ7 

DUI Distributor and now no TACH

Complete rewire of my 85 CJ7, new motor, new offy 4 barrel intake with Holley 390 and DUI distributor..... My factory tach will not work, hook the wires up and it kills the engine. Is the DUI coil too hot for the factory tach to be wired straight in ? Does there need to be a resistor inline somewhere ?? We hooked it to a old diagnostic machine and it showed signal and the tach on it worked correctly. PLEASE ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT ! THANKS

Bruner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Is your factory Tach still wired in series under the dash? I have a DUI and and the factory tach works. My jeep did not have a Tach originally, but I bought a factory tach about a month ago, plugged it in and it worked.

My ignition, power wire is just like the factory wiring. Big red wire coming fron the column, then the tach is wired in through the factory connectors by the column, then power out to the DUI.

Your not trying to use the tach signal off the DUI are you?

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Bruner3
1985 CJ7 

No my factory tach is not still wired in series, I ran it straight from the distributor. The whole jeep has new wiring I used a GM style aftermarket harness.
Bruner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Well, thats your problem. Factory, and even factory aftermarket style replacements are designed to be in series going to the distributer. You could probably get a tach filter, and use a different type of tach, one from autometer or something and make it work. Be easier to just wire that circuit back factory and use the factory tach.

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.