Dual point dwell 304 v8? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual point dwell 304 v8?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Jcreepers
1973 CJ5 

Dual point dwell 304 v8?

I did search although could not find the answer. I spent 1/2 hr looking. Anyone willing to share the procedure and specs please. 1973 CJ 304 V8 Mallory Dual Point. Thank you very much in advance.

Jcreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
CSP

Dwell angle won't change because it has dual points. Find the stock spec for the factory distributor and duplicate it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You will have to set them individually.This is because one set opens and the other set closes.
You will need to block one set open in order to adjust the other.
The easiest is to use a feeler gauge (I believe .020, but my memory fails me and I have no access to any manuals right now. Might try a search of the Mustang and Camaro forums). You can use a dwell meter as well, but the feeler gauge method is easier and is going to be very close to the dwell reading if done right.
I would insure your dist has a vac adv (they come both ways). This will help your raise your cruising fuel economy by quite a bit.
Personally, unless your running a retro rod, I don't see much use for these today. There are quite a few inexpensive options in the electronic ignition arena that will perform better than the early dual set ups, and will require no routine maintenance.
I ran a non vac adv unit on a 65 GT fastback we owned back in the day (wish we still had that car) and wound up ditching it for a stock point style unit, which performed much better.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Jcreepers
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
You will have to set them individually.This is because one set opens and the other set closes.
You will need to block one set open in order to adjust the other.
The easiest is to use a feeler gauge (I believe .020, but my memory fails me and I have no access to any manuals right now. Might try a search of the Mustang and Camaro forums). You can use a dwell meter as well, but the feeler gauge method is easier and is going to be very close to the dwell reading if done right.
I would insure your dist has a vac adv (they come both ways). This will help your raise your cruising fuel economy by quite a bit.
Personally, unless your running a retro rod, I don't see much use for these today. There are quite a few inexpensive options in the electronic ignition arena that will perform better than the early dual set ups, and will require no routine maintenance.
I ran a non vac adv unit on a 65 GT fastback we owned back in the day (wish we still had that car) and wound up ditching it for a stock point style unit, which performed much better.
Thank YOU VERY much, that is exactly what I was looking for. I do appreciate you taking the time to write all that. Thanks again!!
Jcreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Texian
1978 CJ7 

Just in case you are new to points....

As the rubbing block wears and the point gap changes,you need to reset your timing.

Any time you reset the points it changes your timing.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.