Dual Oil Pressure Switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual Oil Pressure Switch?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Dual Oil Pressure Switch?

OK... On my '86 CJ-7 with the 258 (4.2) I have found TWO oil pressure sending units! One is the "big metal can" that sends the signal to the gauge, the other looks like an "idiot light" switch. Does anyone know what this extra Oil Pressure switch does?

Bruce

HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Are you sure the small one isn't the temp sending unit?
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
OfFtHeWaLl

Ya i think he is right if the little one is tword the back of your engine on the driver side its the temp sening unit.. to be shur unscrew the little one you shoud see radiator fluid in the hole if youdo thats the temp sender...
33 2in lift
it's my problem child
butt i love it
OfFtHeWaLl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

My CJ had 2 oil pressure sending units also - Seems the P.O. had added an aftermarket gauge and instead of removing the old one, just plumbed the new sending unit into the mess. Bottom line - get rid of the extra one!
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:17 PM   #5
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Hate to break it to you guys... Mine REALLY does have TWO units. One is the large can that operates the gauge in the dash. The other is the "on-off" switch type, and they are BOTH original equipment. There is a brass splitter screwed into the engine and both units are screwed into two holes in it. The wiring and all is definitely original and unmodified.

My NAPA parts buddy made a guess until we can get a repair manual. He thinks the "on-off" switch only allows current to the electric choke heater when there is oil pressure. Says it keeps the choke element from heating up when you just have the key in the "on" position without the engine running. I am sure the service manual will solve this mystery!

I'll let you know when I find out what it does!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.