dual fuel tanks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dual fuel tanks

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #31
chevyk30
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgeroy View Post
I have a 74' CJ 5 with dual tanks, didn't know it wasn't standard. One tank is a 15 gallon polly, the other is below the driver's seat...best I can tell is it is 10 0r 12 gallons.
My '73 has that same thing, someone added a second tank under the driver seat, its from an older cj ('55-71'?) works good, they added the body panel from the older jeep, so it has a filler that looks just like an older jeep, plus it has the main tank in the back. I have a brass manual selector valve I found it at NAPA. I too thought it was stock until I tried to find a replacement grommet for it, called the guys at Krage motorsports and he told me that was common to do back in the '70's.

Unread 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
stretch66dog
1969 CJ5 

I need help wiring a 6 pole, three position on-off-on toggle switch to my Stewart Warner gauge. I have duel gas tanks with also a shut off valve under the body. I getting really upset that Napa and other stores sell parts that DON'T include instructions. Thanks people.....
stretch66dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
stretch66dog
1969 CJ5 

1969 CJ5 help!

I have duel tanks but, the wiring was all jacked up. Can anyone help please. Duel tanks with a shut off valve under the body. 6 pole three position toggle switch on- off-on. going to Stewart Warner fuel gauge.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #34
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

One side of the switch will put power to the solenoid. The other side will put signal to the fuel gauge. I don't think you'd want a center off-type switch though. A dpdt switch should do it.

Center tab of gauge side gets the wire to the gauge, the one outside tab gets the wire from one tank, and the other gets the wire from the other tank. Now the tank solenoid just gets power thru the switch so that the tank that the gauge is reading will be the one supplying the fuel.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #35
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Maybe Google "adding second fuel tank" or "wiring auxiliary fuel switch"...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
stretch66dog
1969 CJ5 

Wiring gas tanks

Yeah I have been doing that for several hours now. (internet) Funny how you buy Napa parts and they come with no instructions. Borg Warner FSV1Z: I have tried different ways to wire them up and I get noting. I made sure that the gauge was working bypassing the switch. GTG. When I try to use the switch noting. Diagram would really be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.