dual batterys - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dual batterys

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #106
fireshadow
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/chargi...dualbatt07.gif[/IMG]

sorry for bringing a dead thread back to life but I was wondering something, I would like to run dual batteries on my yj and don't think I need dual starting batteries since it doesn't get that cold around me, but I do plan on hooking up off road lights for fishing and running my winch when needed. I was thing a starting battery and a deep cycle for the lights and winch. I was really intrigued by this set up but wanted to see what you guys thought would be the best set up for me. Also still have stock alt. I am willing to upgrade if it is called for. This is my first dual battery set up, thanks.

Unread 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #107
genghisman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Is it possible to do this setup on an 89 YJ with a SBC swapped in? I have a buddy that just bought an 89 YJ with a Chevy 350 ad he wants to do this.
Iraqi Freedom 3 and 5 Vet
genghisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #108
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

I was inspired by this thread and finished mine.

Parts List
- Wrangler NW Dual Tray - Found open box on CL for cheap
- 2 Odyssey Batteries - one with 2 sets of top posts and one with single set
- Hellroaring Isolator
- Welding Cable in several sizes from my local shop
- Adheasive lined Shrink wrap - Thanks Jeep Hammer
- VTE Fuse Holder, Grounding Block - Terminal Insulators, Caps & Covers, Electro-Mechanical Connectors, Fuses & Fuse Holders

Pics of some of the VTE stuff.

Fuse Holder for Main Fuse and Winch Fuse

ANL Fuses

Ground Distribution
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #109
OregonFXSTC
1976 CJ5 

Thank you for the information in this thread and the site as a whole.

I read through several of JeepHammer's posts and other members.
I realized the least I can do for the help I have found is purchase a Premium Membership and help support the cost of keeping the lights on here.
I just did that.
Thank you for ultimately keeping my Jeep on the road running .
Mike
OregonFXSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #110
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

JH - Pic 3 after the yellow engine bay in post #5, your relay pinouts are backwards. You have the load/power on 85/85, and the control on 30 and 87. May want to double check your diagram

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #111
KerrMonster
1978 CJ7 

I just did a Cummins 4BT swap in my 78 CJ7 and want to run dual batteries. So in terms of application, I'm running a diesel, winch, heavy off-road use, and in cold weather climates. I'd like to run your #3 configuration with the idiot light. My questions is that my diesel already has a mechanical oil pressure gauge, so I'm not sure how to incorporate the oil switch you use? Where/do I connect that oil switch? My alternator came with the diesel, so I'm assuming it's heavy enough? But I'd like your thoughts how you thinks it's best to wire my jeep.
KerrMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #112
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Idiot light has nothing to do with the gauge.

Idiot light is an 'On/Off' thing, stand alone from the gauge.
If you have a gauge, you will need to add a 'T' in the oil pressure source for the idiot light switch.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #113
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshadow View Post
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/chargi...dualbatt07.gif[/IMG]

sorry for bringing a dead thread back to life but I was wondering something, I would like to run dual batteries on my yj and don't think I need dual starting batteries since it doesn't get that cold around me, but I do plan on hooking up off road lights for fishing and running my winch when needed. I was thing a starting battery and a deep cycle for the lights and winch. I was really intrigued by this set up but wanted to see what you guys thought would be the best set up for me. Also still have stock alt. I am willing to upgrade if it is called for. This is my first dual battery set up, thanks.
Long dead post, but relevant...

The dual batteries *MIGHT* not be needed for starting the engine,
BUT,
They make GREAT self rescue alternative if you isolate one of the batteries when the ignition is 'Off'...

You can only run ONE of the batteries down that way, and the other will save your butt when you do leave something turned on you shouldn't have...

Also, you won't believe how much better your starter works with that second battery, and how fast your engine snaps to life since you finally have enough current for both the starter & ignition in excess...

Second batteries are SELF RESCUE,
They are WINCH TIME DURATION DOUBLER,,
They make your starter last MUCH longer,
They help your engine jump to life when you hit the key switch,
And if you wire correctly, they are 'Lend Power' to someone on the trail,
Camp power away from the Jeep (like air mattress in your tent),
You can do simple MIG or Stick welding off them,
And they generally make things more pleasant when you don't want to get stranded.

I used to carry a second alternator for welding and emergency charging.
Having that second alternator in a CJ takes up a LOT of room and was cumbersome to use at the very least...

Now with two batteries, I can pack the alternator full of mud on the first hole in the trail and still run all day on battery power,
No second alternator needed.

In 30 seconds, I can set up to weld off the batteries with a wiring adapter and jumper cables.

I can pull a battery, drop the jumper cables and 'Lend Power' to anyone on the trail,
Or leave power back at the camp site for the battery powered appliances.

AND! I NEVER GET STUCK FOR BATTERY POWER,
The winch works MUCH better with two batteries,
The starter works MUCH better with two batteries,
The ignition works MUCH better with two batteries,
I'm NEVER stranded with a 'Dead' battery since the system isolates the second battery when the oil pressure drops (Engine shuts off) so if I leave lights, radios, ect. on, I don't kill BOTH batteries.

Since they are hard wired, one battery can be COMPLETELY dead an the vehicle will still fire up,
You can't transfer enough current with most jumper cables to do that,
You can 'BOOST' a battery that's not too far gone, but you can power the 'Dead' vehicle up from 'Scratch'...

And I don't waste any cargo room since the battery stores under the hood with NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER...

The system is all automatic, even self rescue is the flip of a switch or the push of a button...
I can take the 'Lend Power' battery out in about 10 Seconds,
And I can be ready to weld in 30 seconds...

It's all about what YOU want your electrical system to do,
Work for you in ways you hadn't thought about before,
Or stay 'Stock'...

Doesn't matter to me either way, but I like having my system do some work other than marginally turning over the starter once in a while...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #114
KerrMonster
1978 CJ7 

What's the benefit of running a starting battery and a deep cycle battery? I thought point of the dual battery was to pull power from both batteries that are of the same type and age?
KerrMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.