dual batterys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dual batterys

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
jakemary
1977 CJ7 

dual batterys

Hi how would you hook up a dual battery set up.? i have two optimun batterys in my 77cj-7 i have a ramsey12500lbs winch. a H.E.I dist. 304v8 3speed. no extra lights on the cj. a electric fan. do you run them parralle? put a switch inbetween them?

jakemary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Google it. There's basic ways to do it with solenoids or isolators and there are also higher tech methods from Painless & Hellroaring that allow you more control. I have the Hellroaring setup in my CJ-7 and will probably do the same on my Scrambler when I get to that point.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #3
RARECJ8

my friend 'skate is right... that is a mega-question with many possible options. i chose not to use the blue box isolator set up ( a la kragens...checker, etc...) and went with a simple OEM ford style solenoid between the batteries. crude? yes. not efficient? yes. but have i ever suffered a let down winching many foos out of harms way? never...

search the web. educate ur self and get it awn...

mb
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
CJ_Mike
1984 CJ7 

best way is to research it and do it the way you want. i have my battery in the engine compartment running engine and accessories and my rear battery running the winch and also going to a power board so that if i ever get stuff that needs power ill just run the positave there to keep it cleaner. and also i have another solenoid hooked up to a dash switch that connects the two battery circuits so if my front battery dies, flip the switch and hopefully i should have enough power to get it to crank over. but luckly i havent had to use it but considering both batteries less that 6 months old, i wont have to for a while.
CJ_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
401ton

I run a www.12voltguy.com solenoid system.

It will work normal, charge both batteries and self jump start modes.

System has a solenoid simliar to a Ford starter, but it is rated higher.

Works great.

His was a comeplete system including cables and less expensive than most.

I don't run anything off the second battery except the wire to solenoid to self jump start.
Unread 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
jakemary
1977 CJ7 

thanks guys
jakemary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.