Dual Battery Tray: Write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual Battery Tray: Write up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Dual Battery Tray: Write up

I have been asking around for dimension and what not for dual battery trays. Finally decided to just give it a shot on my own... more or less.

I was rather surprised to find out how easy this way.

Materials needed:

3/6" x 1" angle iron (approximately 5 feet: pretty much on the money)
3/16" x 1" flat stock (spproximately 1.5 feet: conservative)
3"16 x 2" flat stock (approximately 1.5 feet: conservative)
4"x3"x3/16" flat stock which will be used for the tray mounting tab
Qty: 3- 5/16 all thread approximately 9" each
Qty: 3- 5/16 wing nuts
Qty: 3- 5/16 lock washers
Qty: 2- bolts 7/16" x 1.25" (16 thread count)
Qty: 2 nuts 7/16" (16 thread count
Qty: 2- 7/16" fender washers
Qty: 2- 7/16" lock washer

Tools needed:

Welder (120v or 220v will work fort his)
Angle grinder with cutting wheel and flapper wheel
Drill press or drill with 7/16" bit
6 pack Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Step 1: Remove the OEM battery tray, OEM jack (if you still have it), fender to battery stray struts, and charcoal canister (if you still have this as well)

Step 2: Cut angle iron to the following lengths
2 pieces at 14"
4 pieces at 10.5"

Step 3: Cut 3/16" x 1" flat stock to the following lengths
2 pieces at 6.5"

Step 4: Place the two pieces of 14" angle iron on your work bench and place 2 of the 10.5" pieces on the outer parameter (overlapping the 14" pieces on top) and tack weld these in place to form a 14"x10.5" rectangle.

Step 5: Grab the remaining two pieces of 10.5 inch stock and clamp them side by side as square as possible so they are in a "T" shape with one another. Weld these pieces on both sides with several beads on each side. Each bead should be about 1" long.

Step 6: Find the center of the rectangle and drop the newly welded "T" channel in and tack this in place as well. This will leave you two different battery compartments on the dual battery tray. Please excuse this picture as I forgot to take shots before I mounted the center support tab and placed it in the jeep. Furthermore, disregard the pieces of stock in the inside of the battery tray at the moment as I will cover this here shortly..

Step 7: Take the old battery tray and make an EXACT duplicate of the mounting tab with the 4"x3"x3/16". Drill 7/16" holes when making the duplicate. Again, I did not take a picture when I was in the process of making the tab, but you can see the tab close up installed in this pic. Disregard the weld at the moment.

Step 8: At this point, you are going to take the mount pictured above and mount ONLY this to the firewall in the same location the OEM tray was mounted to. Since people have different engine bay compartments (gadgets and gizmos), I cannot confidently give an exact location to where you are going to want to tack weld the tray to this mount. However, I positioned the tray above the fender struts (support arms) and tacked the battery tray to the mount with in the engine compartment. If you are going to do this, make sure you put a towell or something over the fuel lines!

Step 9: Then, I was able to determine the approximate location of there the fender struts/support arms are going to line up with the tray and marked the area. At this point, I took the tray back out and then grabbed the 2 pieces of 3/16"x1"6.5" and tacked them to the bottom portion of the tray in the approximate location to where the fender struts / support arms were to line up. When the tray is positioned where it should be, you will want to mark the locations on these 2 pieces of metal where they line up with the support arms. Mark the location with a dot on the metal and this will be the reference point where you will have to drill holes. As you can see in the picture, I accidently welded one of the pieces in the wrong place, but I certainly didnt hurt anything, so I just cut and welded another piece where it should have been in the first place...

Step 10: Once this is done, you need to reinstall the tray the two bolts and rest the tray on top of the fende strust / support arms. At this point, I took the
3/16"x2" stock and copied the passenger side support bracket to get the correct angle so it rests flush with both the battery tray and the firewall. I then hand placed the piece on to the battery tray, and while keeping the firewall portion "square" to the firewall, I tacked in this support bracket.

Step 11: The next part of the install you have to get creative. To utilize the oringial nutsert on the firewall, you have to cut to shape this piece for the passenger side support bracket. Do several trial fits if needed

Step 12: Once this is done, you can swing the piece above to the passenger side support arm and tack in place.

Step 13: At this point, take the tray back out and permanently weld everything together.

Rough dimensions / sketch of the tray installed. Should be able to hold 2 decent size batteries.

Step 14: With the tray once again removed, drill two holes in the metal where the suport arms were marked. Insert the nuts through the top of the batter tray and weld them in place

Step 15: Use the angle grider with a flapper wheel and grind down the bolt heads until they are flush with the angle iron

Step 16: Now its time to install the angle iron. Mark the center of the battery tray all the way across and tack in the all thread. Ensure the all thread is perfectly perpendicular as possible. In the center of the battery tray, you will have to take the angle grinder with the cutting wheel and cut a notch for the all thread to be seated in. Once everything is tacked up and looking good, go ahead and weld all the angle iron in permanently

Step 17: Once the angle iron is in place, you will need to make a battery strap. I did this by using 15 inches of 3/16"x1" flat stock. I marked the locations of the angle iron on the flat stock and drilled 3/8" holes through the stock to make a strap that fits the entire battery tray.

PIC TO COME SHORTLY

Step 18: Take the flapper wheel and grind off all the "dingle berries" to prep for paint. Hang the battery tray and paint away.

Reinstall tray in to jeep, add batteries, and voila, you have a dual battery tray.

THIS WILL BE EDITED SOON TO MAKE IT A LITTLE MORE CLEARER

Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets

Last edited by jatepper; 08-23-2009 at 03:12 PM..
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Looks Good,

Keep on posting picks.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

That is kind of the same concept as ours. Make sure you make it mount to the wheel well also. There is too much weight of two batteries to be hanging from the firewall.

addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
That is kind of the same concept as ours. Make sure you make it mount to the wheel well also. There is too much weight of two batteries to be hanging from the firewall.
I did not think it needed to be attached to the fender as well, but maybe it does. I can easy add another arm and attach it. However, there are 2 different locations where it mounts to the firewall, and this tray mounts to both factory battery support arms.

Any other thoughts? Do you guys think I need to add this piece?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

Unread 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Good job - I used thinner metal and didnt weld the long screw threads - I like that - might dust of my welder now!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
RetiredSERE

1980 CJ7 

So why didn't you just bend the side bracket?? Would have been quicker than welding it.

Admit to Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations...

I Feel Like a Monkey F***ing a Football..
RetiredSERE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSERE View Post
So why didn't you just bend the side bracket?? Would have been quicker than welding it.
Because I got a new welder and love to use it. Thats the only reason really.

Unread 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

That's a stout looking tray....

Jeremy,
Good work! It looks like that battery tray is stout enough hold your weight. I suspect it will hold two batteries just fine. Did you use a wire feed (MIG) or a stick welder for this little project? I like the idea of not having a pan underneath the batteries. The dribbles drop on through to the ground. It will be lots easier to keep the batteries clean, I'll bet.
Good luck and God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

LOOKS REAL GOOD GUYS! KEEP THE PICS COMING!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budblind View Post
Jeremy,
Good work! It looks like that battery tray is stout enough hold your weight. I suspect it will hold two batteries just fine. Did you use a wire feed (MIG) or a stick welder for this little project? I like the idea of not having a pan underneath the batteries. The dribbles drop on through to the ground. It will be lots easier to keep the batteries clean, I'll bet.
Good luck and God bless.
Jon In Tucson
I used a Miller 220V MIG. It was a pretty easy project, only took about 2 hours or so. This is one of those things that finally went smooth.

I am going to make another one for a buddy of mine and will post a REAL GOOD step by step...for dummies (like me)

Unread 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Douglas S.

Do you have any installed pics? It looks like this same process would work perfectly in a YJ too.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Ruger1
1976 CJ7 

Good write up, I've seen a few for sale, but I'd rather make my own, cheaper and more fun. A good jeep is built NOT bought, I always say.
Ruger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
datmony
1986 CJ7 

There is one piece that mounts the fender to the battery tray that you may want to put on just to make it extra tough, could not see from the pics if you did that but it looks great. I actually bought one of these a few years back and I muse say that I like yours a lot better in that it allows for water/sand/etc to escape through the bottom where the ones you buy are a solid bottom and they tend to rust really badly even though they are powder coated. Very nice job.
datmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.