Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #106
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
Classic demonstration of unchecked ego(s).

Have you guys considered a career in politics? I think Congress is going to have some openings next year... LOL
You are correct.

This conversation is loosing it's entertainment value, anyway.

Have a great day, all.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #107
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
"Forum leader..." Damn, that's a good one. Thanks for the chuckle, Aaron.

Now, who's being confrontation? Hmm?

Get your jabs in now, my friend. I'm sure the mods will be shutting down this thread soon.

Matt
Forum leader was the words I used.
Exactly how many posts do you have as 'Stickies'?
How many get dragged back up over and over again, several years old, saying "This worked for me!"

That's why guys say they read from the 'Book Of JeepHammer',
and guys say I should write a book, what do you think that means?

I don't tell people to buy $200 worth of crap they don't need,
I don't tell them to yank out a perfectly good ignition system because they need a tune up and a cap/rotor upgrade.

I have a web site that gets around 2,000 hits a week or so, constantly accessed, and that web site is a mistake since it was mainly to store my own pictures and wiring diagrams...

I work through problems the users are having instead of telling them to jack in initial advance and live with the results, no matter what they may be.

I think you just like to start crap fights on the forums to entertain yourself since you can't keep up with the conversations you introject yourself into...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #108
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sorry mods, I just can't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Forum leader was the words I used.
Yes, it was words you used to describe yourself. I got that, and it made me chuckle.

Quote:
Exactly how many posts do you have as 'Stickies'?
Is that your measure of success, and self-worth? I thought so.

Quote:
How many get dragged back up over and over again, several years old, saying "This worked for me!"
I've used many of those threads, myself, and I thank you. It doesn't mean you walk on water, however.

Quote:
]That's why guys say they read from the 'Book Of JeepHammer',
and guys say I should write a book, what do you think that means?
I think it means many readers are sheeple, and they are often baffled with BS.

Quote:
I don't tell people to buy $200 worth of crap they don't need,
I don't tell them to yank out a perfectly good ignition system because they need a tune up and a cap/rotor upgrade.
Neither do I, nor have I.

Quote:
I have a web site that gets around 2,000 hits a week or so, constantly accessed, and that web site is a mistake since it was mainly to store my own pictures and wiring diagrams...
Cool. Is that why you post the same drivel, at nauseam, on every thread, here, instead of simply linking to your site?

Quote:
I work through problems the users are having instead of telling them to jack in initial advance and live with the results, no matter what they may be.
Again, prove to the readers that I've promoted "jacking in advance". If you can't, then quit lying.

Quote:
I think you just like to start crap fights on the forums to entertain yourself since you can't keep up with the conversations you introject yourself into...
This thread, and your actions, speak for themselves. The readers, and mods, can easily conclude who started this "crap fight" on their own.

Now, do we really need to continue this? Or has it all boiled down to a last word kinda thing? If so, it's all yours.

Matt
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #109
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

eh-hem.......It's me again. Just wanted to thank everyone for your help.

Have a great evening!

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #110
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks, Tommy.

Likewise.

Matt
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #111
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Thanks, Tommy.

Likewise.

Matt
It's pretty much done! Just a few details to go. The last thing is making the 24v weld yoke.

Unread 12-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #112
RARECJ8

well...that was fun. Have to give a x2 on JH suggestion for the oil pressure switch to activate the charge to aux battery. Works great and is KISS.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #113
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Haven't been on the forum for a while. What a guy can miss! I needed a good laugh for the day. If you fellows get together and settle this the old fashioned way please make a vidoe. It'll go viral for sure!
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #114
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

WSS, the quick connects... Question...

Are those for welding or lending power like for jump starting?

Welding (Series yoke, 24 volts) that will work fine.
The connectors are big enough for welding, they will handle around 175 amps, and I don't know anyone that welds with more than around 100, give or take...
I'm usually burning rod at 65 or 75 amps, so 175 connectors are great for that, and usually for jump starting also.

No 'Foul Ups' on connections, and good solid connections at the battery end of things if you have your jumper cables with an anderson connector.
Not like wobbling clamps on batteries trying to make a connection!

But for 'Lend Power',
The battery tie down looks GREAT, and those batteries aren't going anywhere!

But how easy is it to get one out for camp work or lending power?
Maybe wing nuts on the tie down?

I don't know the application, so I'm asking...

-----------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
well...that was fun. Have to give a x2 on JH suggestion for the oil pressure switch to activate the charge to aux battery. Works great and is KISS.
As for oil pressure switch being as simple as a hammer, it is the electrical version of automatic and simple.
If you use a large contact switch, you can run the alternator directly through it.
I don't since they are large and not in every discount parts store...
I use a smaller oil pressure switch and a common relay I can replace at ANY discount parts store.

I usually have a pile of them laying around anyway, and since they are interchangeable, I can pull one from something less important (like off road lights) and use it in charging on the trail/job site if I need to.

Since they are SMALL, about 1.5 inches square or so, and don't weigh anything, and you don't have to worry about vibration, you can easily have a 'Spare' in the bag pretty easy.

If the oil pressure switch gives up, you simply hot wire it, just remember to break the connection when you shut the vehicle down to isolate the battery.
If you forget, it's not a big deal since just hot wiring the oil pressure switch won't run the secondary battery down unless you also leave something else turned on long enough that it drains BOTH batteries...

I like easy to fix in the field, and this is VERY easy fix or get home no matter what fails...

-----------------

I've taken to using an LED on parallel relays to tell when they fail.
Since you can't tell when one fails (Redundancy),
You have to disconnect the others and test ONE at a time.
Not a huge deal, but I'm always looking for a more simple way to do things, speed up maintenance.

An LED costs virtually NOTHING at Radio Shack, and you wire it in between activation and 'Ground'.
If the relay 'Hits' when it's supposed to, it doesn't light.
If the relay fails, the light comes on.
Works the same way the idiot light does for your alternator (if you have an idiot light).
Powered up and failure uses the 'Ground Path' created when the relay doesn't make contact, light 'ON',
'Red' LED lit means failure.
You can wire it the other way, and 'Green' LED lit means 'Working'...
But I don't bother with 'Green', I just want to know when it fails.

Super simple, costs around 50 per relay you wire,
Works on ALL relays, lighting, starting, accessory power, battery isolation, charging, ect. and just makes diagnosis & testing a snap...

Just another idea from the guy that doesn't know what he's talking about, in case you are interested...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #115
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I like the LED on relays idea, I may have to do that.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #116
RARECJ8

While we're on the subject, anyone with dual batteries use dual volt meters on the dash? Am experimenting with that idea. Nice to monitor the 2ed battery voltage, etc. from what I read it's popular in Australia and those blokes know nothing about 4wheeling.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #117
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
WSS, the quick connects... Question...

Are those for welding or lending power like for jump starting?

Welding (Series yoke, 24 volts) that will work fine.
The connectors are big enough for welding, they will handle around 175 amps, and I don't know anyone that welds with more than around 100, give or take...
I'm usually burning rod at 65 or 75 amps, so 175 connectors are great for that, and usually for jump starting also.

No 'Foul Ups' on connections, and good solid connections at the battery end of things if you have your jumper cables with an anderson connector.
Not like wobbling clamps on batteries trying to make a connection!

But for 'Lend Power',
The battery tie down looks GREAT, and those batteries aren't going anywhere!

But how easy is it to get one out for camp work or lending power?
Maybe wing nuts on the tie down?

I don't know the application, so I'm asking...

Yes on all 2.5 questions. I Have the 24v yoke ready and have done some welding with it. Works great! Laid down some 1/2" wide passes in one shot on some 1" drops I had laying around, also welded some 1/8" flat bar to a piece of 1x.120 tube, so both thin and thick stuff seems to be covered.

I do have it set up for lend power and jumper cables. The tray hold down on the pass side, is hinged to lean toward the fender to give more room to remove the batt. It did not work out as good as I had hoped but it does give a little room so you are not lifting the batt straight up. The QC's stay with the batt of course and the jumper cables can plug right in to the lend batt OR plug in the front of the Jeep, next to the winch. The nut could be switched to a wingnut, the nut is a flanged 5/16" gr8 with the serrations on the bottom, so I know it will stay tight and a 1/2" wrench is all that is needed. In use, I'll know more.

I cut my 15' jumper cables to 14' and 1' then put a pair of Anderson QC's in line, So they can still be used as regular jumpers, plus be used right out the front of the grill OR grab the lend batt and the long side of the cables and now your portable(ish). Use the short side on the lend batt for easy 12v hookups for things like a remote races repeater for radio comm. I have a dual band Kenwood radio that can duplex on 2m/440cm stuffed in a ammo can. With a solar panel (w/reg), the lend batt & shorty jumpers, radio, a dipole antenna and you've got a remote, covert repeater that can run for a long time stand alone. This can be done within minutes.

I like it.

Here is the hinged side during build:

Unread 12-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #118
RARECJ8

Nice. Anderson power pole for the win. Now if I could get you to go yeasu.

8800 and the stand alone APRS unit
image.jpg  

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #119
RARECJ8

Oops, here is the radio set
image.jpg  

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #120
RARECJ8

This
image.jpg  

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.