Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #91
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Thank you JeepHammer, your report on your conversation with Mike was educational for me. All I do is to carry a second large fully charged battery and very high quality jumper cables, but I am definitely not extreme in my needs. I do love learning things though

Edit: I meant the post two back, not the argumentative one! I shall go crawl back in to my cave now.

ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #92
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I can see were JH would surmise how the Hellroaring would work based upon their 'simplified schematic'.
Not very informative to the learned user. I was thinking of pointing it out myself.

Why not have Hellroaring send a complete schematic, listing parts used so everyone can make an informed decision.

I don't think its really fair to print a poor schematic and then point out every mistake a person makes from a 'simplified' schematic.

I would like to find out what P or N (Enhanced ?) channel MOSFET's they are using anyway.

Vishay makes some great stuff in that line. http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/Vishay/MOSFET.html
I'm tired of this crap entirely,
Tried to extend an olive branch, got called everything in the book by this one shot wonder...

Admits he can't read a simplified diagram, has no idea what an electrical schematic is, has ONE battery project turn out when he purchased everything and didn't build a damn thing.

Talked to Mike Hines at Hellroaring, as usual, when talking to a PEER, we got along great.
Mike admits it's not for some idiot that zero volts a winch and can't figure out if he's supposed to wind his butt or scratch his watch...

His exact words, very diplomatically put I have to say, were,
"I would prefer some guys didn't buy our products" when we were talking about someone that can't follow directions, calls them up a dozen times on something that is a 4 wire install and doesn't understand APPLICATION...
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #93
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Since no one has an answer, I am headed out to "wing it". Worst that can happen is the isolator fries. $50.

Thanks guys!!!
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #94
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Aaron,

All that typing and you still haven't admitted your mistakes. That speaks for itself.

Look, you can call me whatever names you want. You have been exposed to anyone who is paying attention.

Speaking of lying, do I really need to post the PM, in which you told me Hellroaring doesn't manufacture their own products, only sells them? Or should I share the other PM, in which you rudely informed me that you turned me into the mods for being "confrontational"?

How's it gonna be, "pal"?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #95
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
John,

Most of Aaron's "mistakes" are answered on the Hellroaring website.

That's why I encouraged him to read the website, instead of taking a simplified schematic and making assumptions.

Instead, he stuck with the same dated arguments that he's been preaching for years, but they don't apply to HL product. I think Mike did a good job of educating him, if he chooses to learn.

Matt
HEY, KNUCKLEHEAD...

The 'Dated' arguments are there for a reason, it's ELECTRICAL BASICS 101.

Mike did 'Educate' be in his products.
In fact, probably making some stuff for my solar projects since he's using low parasitic load semiconductors.

That would be some of the things folks that know what they are talking about... Talk about...
Something the recent self professed 'Expert' here doesn't know anything about...

As for getting any SPECIFICS on Components, forget it. It's proprietary and he isn't giving details.
Web site is deliberately misleading or missing the information that would have answered my questions the first time around...
(and I don't blame him, China is always watching and no market in America is too small, they are counterfeiting toothpaste for crying out loud!)

I'll just have to wait until one fails, then tear into it.
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #96
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Since no one has an answer, I am headed out to "wing it". Worst that can happen is the isolator fries. $50.

Thanks guys!!!
WHAT! You mean 'Matt' couldn't answer your question with two words?
(Jack In Initial Timing, more like 4 words)

I'll go back and have a look,
But if what I'm getting from your question is:
Can you combine the CHARGE legs from your isolator?

Defeats the isolator, but you can do it, although I don't know why you would want to do that...
Let me go back and look...

-----------------------------------------

Quote:
OK, I am running a NOCO 140 amp solid state isolator. Easy enough to install. three wires, one from alt then the other two to their respective battery. Now, my question is, can I use a relay solenoid to combine the two batteries while the isolator is connected? Meaning, is it ok for the isolator to have both outputs connected together when the batteries are mechanically linked together via the relay solenoid?

Here is a pic that shows the hook up, the isolator's two outside studs are the outputs, they go to the solenoid, the left side in the pic will charge main batt, the right side of the solenoid will charge the "spare".

The red 8ga wires are the ones in question

another view:

OK, from what I'm seeing here in this picture...

It looks like you have isolated charging and a battery combiner marine type solenoid (Water proof, but usually lower amperage rating than common high quality starter relays...)

OK, second picture tells the tale,
The first picture looks like you are trying to use a leg from the charge isolator to activate the relay, optical illusion.

YOUR ARE CORRECT FROM WHAT I SEE IN THE SECOND PICTURE,

Isolator charge leg to each battery positive connection on the relay,
The Relay will combine the batteries short term,
The isolator will charge both batteries when relay IS NOT active.

Looks good, and connecting the charge isolator terminals SHORT TERM will NOT harm the charge isolator.
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #97
WSS
1972 CJ5 

JeepHammer, you are smart! Terribly smart, but lack Grace. Matt posted up a nice thread about his dual battery setup, just like you have done with yours.

I would go easy from here.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #98
CSP

For the uninformed, JH has been doing this stuff on every board he's on, from the offroad.com forums dating back to the late 90s (aka TeamRush there), to IFSJA, to JeepsUnlimited. I'm sure there are more.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #99
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
JeepHammer, you are smart! Terribly smart, but lack Grace. Matt posted up a nice thread about his dual battery setup, just like you have done with yours.

No, let him continue to spew his insults, name-calling, and lies about what I've posted. He's only digging himself in deeper.

I have thick skin, and I've dealt with his ilk often. It really doesn't bother me. Actually, I find it rather amusing.

Matt
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #100
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:

Yup, I lack 'Grace'. I've been working on that some.
Just had enough of this particular 'Fan Boy' and his following me around the threads posting directly contrary to anything I post... Just trying to get a jab in anywhere and not taking any consideration for the other guys and their 'Help Me' posts/threads.

Thinks challenging the forum leaders in electrical or any posts gains him 'Standing' on the internet...
No one has 'Standing', it's the INTERNET, we are all exactly even here, just some of us have proven track records since what we post makes sense and works for EVERYONE... Not just a one time jonny job that happened to turn out...

When we do it to his.. "Already done, look at what a genius I am by installing something someone else made and sent instructions for"... post, just a small taste of what he's been doing to other posts...

Reload my previous post, I added to it, looks like you are going to be fine, explanation in previous.

If that is a CONTINUOUS DUTY relay and not a momentary, you will need to make some changes...
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #101
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

"Forum leader..." Damn, that's a good one. Thanks for the chuckle, Aaron.

Now, who's being confrontation? Hmm?

Get your jabs in now, my friend. I'm sure the mods will be shutting down this thread soon.

Matt
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #102
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Aaron,

All that typing and you still haven't admitted your mistakes. That speaks for itself.

Look, you can call me whatever names you want. You have been exposed to anyone who is paying attention.

Speaking of lying, do I really need to post the PM, in which you told me Hellroaring doesn't manufacture their own products, only sells them? Or should I share the other PM, in which you rudely informed me that you turned me into the mods for being "confrontational"?

How's it gonna be, "pal"?

Matt
What I'd really like for you to do is meet me in person. Have this out the old fashioned way, face to face...

That's not going to happen, and keyboards get in my way, I'm not the 'Texting-Video Idiot' generation...

So go ahead and report me to who ever you want to, make up anything you want...

You said to go to hellroaring and have a look, I did, reported on what I saw there...
Turns out, it's INTENTIONALLY MISLEADING, and for good reason.

If you can't figure out what PROPRIETARY means, look it up.

As for 'Exposed', yup, I'm exposed... I'm exposing what you don't know...
This conversation won't go any further until YOU get an education,
Start with contacts, material, size, contact patch, amp loading capability, ect.
Then move to DC battery and work on that for a while...

Do some research so you know what you are talking about fan boy...
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Aaron,

Please post a single comment in which I've lied, or posted inaccurate information. You're the one making those claims, after all.

I, too, would love to settle this the "old-fashioned way". Perhaps we can arrange that.

Matt
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #104
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Thank you JeepHammer, your report on your conversation with Mike was educational for me. All I do is to carry a second large fully charged battery and very high quality jumper cables, but I am definitely not extreme in my needs. I do love learning things though

Edit: I meant the post two back, not the argumentative one! I shall go crawl back in to my cave now.
No surprises with Mike Hines in the conversation.
Mike is very knowledgeable and knows his stuff, not like talking to some guys that have one project work (for now) and thinks he's the definitive 'Expert'...

Subjects like contact patch, connector materials, conductor size, ect. was all on the same page.

I agree with him about the 'Average' guy...
His isolator/combiner does exactly that, and like anything else, if you don't exceed the limits of his components, it works great for the guy that will occasionally need a little boost for this or that.

And since the 'Average Guy' has more dollars than inspiration/education in electrical subjects, his isolator/combiner is a good fit...

I write for not only the 'Average' guy, but the guys that are 'Exceptions To The Rule'...
And everything in between. Not like we don't all have SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS and skill levels around here...

Electrical basics, which I've covered in detail many times before, don't change.
You have to have cables, connectors, terminals, ect. that will conduct the current, or nothing is going to work as advertised, not even his stuff.
That's why I cover the things you don't normally see on those product sites, like cable size, terminals, connections, soldering, environmental protection, ect...

It's what I do for myself, it's what I did for a living for quite a while, and it's not stuff the general public grew up with when they were changing their own oil, starters, alternators, ect.

So a little education, some time finding and assembling the correct components in the correct order goes a long way towards getting the lights to come on when you flip the switch...

Like trying to explain 'Ground' or 'Ground Path' to 'Bubba' who has never heard such before...
As long as the engine starts, and the lights come on at night, they don't think about how to 'Optimize' the electrical end of things when there are big sexy 4 barrel carbs, headers, ect. they can MECHANICALLY work on without straining a brain cell...
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #105
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Classic demonstration of unchecked ego(s).

Have you guys considered a career in politics? I think Congress is going to have some openings next year... LOL
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.