Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dual Battery Isolator or Solenoid?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #46
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Mornin' gentlemen,

Here's the final install. I took Hubs advice and used nylocks on the top post terminals. I also installed the 150 amp fuse (just right of the isolator) for some added protection. Lastly, I re-routed the winch cable and accessory wiring to the side terminals of the main battery, which tidied the wiring up a little more.

Unfortunately, the LED light on the remote switch was no good. The switch worked but the little indicator LED didn't. Hellroaring is sending be another switch.

I tested the system and all seems well. In "automatic" mode (both batteries get charged but the backup is isolated from loads), with the engine at high idle, both batteries are showing 14.58 volts. At normal idle they show 14.28 volts. So the alternator and isolator are both doing their jobs.

Matt
I would caution using the side terminals because in the case they are only feed by a thin metal strip (per jpmagazine article) they say use the top lugs for heavy draw accessories

Looks clean and tidy though

Sent from busted up iPhone

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
I would caution using the side terminals because in the case they are only feed by a thin metal strip (per jpmagazine article) they say use the top lugs for heavy draw accessories

That's good to know, thanks. I'll move the winch back to the top post.
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #48
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Looks really nice Matt. Just curious though... Were you unable to find #2 welding cable with red insolation?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play

Sent from busted up iPhone
I would agree with this Matt.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #50
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I really like the idea of fabbing up a tray so things can be just as we want 'em. I may go this route when I finalize my various setups. 'Black Betty' had an oddly configured tray when I got 'er that also supports the weight of the batteries forward, mounted to the inner fender.

It's been rock solid stable since installing the 2nd battery, and using a Stinger SGP solenoid way, there's been no issues with charging, after I got the fan wiring correct.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #51
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Stick a star washer under the wingnut if you feel they may loosen but dry cells don't expand and contract as much as wet celled batts.
'Tis not the battery proper you need to worry about - it's the post.

Doesn't matter what the chemistry/construction of the battery, "current flow" = "conductor heat." More current? More heat.

Heat-cycling the post is what causes the fasteners to loosen.

Me? I'd use a half-height nut (usually sold as a "Jam Nut" at the local) to retain any lugs, then run the wing nut down overtop of it. Jammed nuts hold FAR better than star washers, and are generally much easier to remove than Nylocks (considering you can do them with fingers, if you don't get stupid.)
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #52
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
'Tis not the battery proper you need to worry about - it's the post.

Doesn't matter what the chemistry/construction of the battery, "current flow" = "conductor heat." More current? More heat.

Heat-cycling the post is what causes the fasteners to loosen.

Me? I'd use a half-height nut (usually sold as a "Jam Nut" at the local) to retain any lugs, then run the wing nut down overtop of it. Jammed nuts hold FAR better than star washers, and are generally much easier to remove than Nylocks (considering you can do them with fingers, if you don't get stupid.)
Sorry bud, missed it completely. I assumed we were talking about the battery proper and the hold down.

My bad

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
WSS

1972 CJ5 

I am back at it. I tried to return the NOCO isolator I had purchased and literally lost the reciept on the way. Well, if it does not work as hoped, it is only a $60 mistake, easy enough to replace with a HR I/C kit later if need be. I will follow up on my buld thread but for now, this is were I am:

Unread 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #54
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Show off....

As usual WSS your work is TOP NOTCH!!

I bent the lips on my tray with a hammer and anvil.....

Matt
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #55
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks Matt! That swag finger brake has done some pretty neat stuff for me lately, mostly boring/paying jobs but this was too easy. I usually stick it under my 100 ton press and bend 1/4" plus stuff but this 14ga was too thin for the press due to it nor even noticing it was bending anything. So I gave my arbor press a try, perfect! Probably good to 1/8"
or 12ga with just some even pull pressure. I was surprised actually how easy it bent. I am going out this weekend so I won't get so deep that I'm not ready but the old tray will have to be removed, this one needs to slide toward the engine at least an inch.

Cheers!

PS, I'll post the drawing after it is all welded (double checked).

Unread 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I use a combination Marine battery switch, installed with two heavy rectifiers (diodes capable of handling high amperage loads).. the diodes split the charge circuit from your alternator, they protect against back feed when batteries and loads aren't balanced.. always better to match your batteries, but with that said, you cannot control the inner workings of those batteries for ever.. they change, so that's what one of the jobs of the diodes is, battery isolation.. the switch gives you the opportunity to use both in parallel, doubling your amperage when needed, switch A & B (reverse).. shut both off, and so on..
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #57
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
I use a combination Marine battery switch, ...
Got a model number or brand on that? It would speed up my research a lot. Thanks...

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #58
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
Got a model number or brand on that? It would speed up my research a lot. Thanks...
I would if I were home yet, but just got back to Las Vegas from Europe for the past 2 1/2 months.. headed home Saturday and I can post the make and model number.. I believe I've seen them at WalMart, but for sure at any Marine store..
frhrwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #59
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:

I would if I were home yet, but just got back to Las Vegas from Europe for the past 2 1/2 months.. headed home Saturday and I can post the make and model number.. I believe I've seen them at WalMart, but for sure at any Marine store..
Hmm, perhaps easier to find than I thought then. Thanks for the fast response.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #60
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I use a combination Marine battery switch, installed with two heavy rectifiers (diodes capable of handling high amperage loads).. the diodes split the charge circuit from your alternator, they protect against back feed when batteries and loads aren't balanced.. always better to match your batteries, but with that said, you cannot control the inner workings of those batteries for ever.. they change, so that's what one of the jobs of the diodes is, battery isolation.. the switch gives you the opportunity to use both in parallel, doubling your amperage when needed, switch A & B (reverse).. shut both off, and so on..
It sounds like your setup works similar to the Hellroaring Isolator/combiner that I used.

EgulAye, if you haven't checked them out already, you should. I've been very impressed with the Hellroaring product.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.