Drums to Disc question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drums to Disc question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #1
Sandman74

Drums to Disc question

I want to change the front drums on my 76cj7 to disc brakes. I don't mind spending money on new parts but I dont want to spend 900 on a conversion kit. How do I do this? The more specific the better. Thanks.

Unread 08-09-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

To start, you'll need a new master cylinder, and if you don't have power brakes now, you might as well go ahead and add that too. The easiest way to do the dics swap would probably be to find a front axle in a junkyard and use the whole disc brake spindle and hub assembly from the ball joint out. It should be a fairly straight-forward swap, but could end up costing as much as a bolt-on conversion kit if you run into problems or can't find a used axle cheap.

-moto
motoxxxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 09:15 AM   #3
CSP

A new master cylinder is not necessary. The existing cylinder can easily be modified to work with discs on the front. Remove the line going to the front brakes. Look inside the hole and you'll see a brass cone (brake line seat actually). Thread a sheetmetal screw just large enough to fit in the inner hole of this cone and very carefully remove it. Behind that cone is a rubber piece and a spring. Remove both of them. This is the residual pressure valve which you don't want anymore. Insert the brass cone and thread the front line back into the master.

I've done several disc conversion and I use Chevy Dana 44 calipers and caliper mounting stands. They bolt right up to a CJ Dana 30 with some grinding of the knuckle to allow the caliper to slide. For rotors I use '76-mid 78 CJ rotors and new disc brake lug studs. I believe there are several conversion articles on the web. Try a Google search. It sure beats one of those overpriced conversion kits which use the exact same parts you can get at an auto parts store.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
rustyCJ

i just parted out 3 dana 30s with discs and have the parts for two complete disc conversions. if interested in anything let me know.
Unread 08-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
mad_scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman74
I want to change the front drums on my 76cj7 to disc brakes. I don't mind spending money on new parts but I dont want to spend 900 on a conversion kit. How do I do this? The more specific the better. Thanks.

I've heard of using 91-92 GM (chevy) fullsize truck rear calipers and I believe jeep front rotors. The rest seems vague to me right now
Unread 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
CSP

Those calipers would be kinda hard to find since no Chevy trucks in '91-92 had rear disc brakes.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
eight

I also have a disc brake setup from a D30, but the rotors need replacing. I'll send you whatever you need, cheap. Probably best to get new calipers too. I have the complete axle minus shafts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.