dropping the t-150/dana20 need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dropping the t-150/dana20 need advice

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
t_kothmann
1978 CJ5 

dropping the t-150/dana20 need advice

T/C and tranny are very solid feeling. no whining, good shifts but very leaky.

T/C needs every seal redone.

The first question. I was planning on leaving the bell housing/clutch ect. on the engine and just pulling the tranny by removing it from the bell housing. is that what you would do?

Once i have it down should I only seal it or should i get a master rebuild kit and attempt that on both?

I keep going back and forth in my mind. my mechanical experience is decent but i've never been inside a tranny. I put a aussie locker in my last jeep to give you an idea of what i can do.

What say you?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...88/index2.html

some pics of the leaks

t_kothmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_kothmann View Post

The first question. I was planning on leaving the bell housing/clutch ect. on the engine and just pulling the tranny by removing it from the bell housing. is that what you would do?
I work by myself almost all the time. I have found it way easier to support under the transmission, pull the pan and pull the t case first. This makes the weight manageable and easier to line things back up later. Move jackstand under the belllhousing or engine and pull transmission. After the transmission comes out, YES I would pull the bell housing and clutch if for nothing else, inspection. Almost always its a good idea to replace the bronze pilot bushing. You may also find your rear main seal leaking too. The coolent could be a leaking joint at the manifold heater hose or a side block freeze plug.

Quote:
Once i have it down should I only seal it or should i get a master rebuild kit and attempt that on both?
Only you know your time, budget, and skill.....also the miles on the unit and if its needed. You may be able to get away with front input and rear seals. IF you open it, I would do bearings and synchronizes at the least.

Quote:
I keep going back and forth in my mind. my mechanical experience is decent but i've never been inside a tranny.
I learned the hard way that the T150 is tricky and can easily mess up your day...how? The rear retainer is held in by the T case. IF you spin the unit by hand with the retainer unsupported, it will walk out, and small parts will fall...I got mine back together without a full disassemble, but others have not been as lucky.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.