Dropped bolt into Engine!?!? Please Advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dropped bolt into Engine!?!? Please Advise

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Dropped bolt into Engine!?!? Please Advise

Okay this may sound really stupid, but this is what happened. I was replacing the mechanical fuel pump on my 258. After removing the old one, I screwed the bolts back in so I would not lose them. When I got back with the new pump, I was unscrewing the bolts and one slipped out of my hand and fell into the engine. I heard it bounce around a bit before it came to rest. I believe that it is in the oil pan. I tried fishing it out with a magnet on a flexible rod with no luck. I am trying to avoid having to drop the oil pan to retrieve it.

Am I crazy to consider leaving it in there until I can get around to dropping the oil pan? Is there anything in the bottom of the oil pan that it could damage? Any thoughts?

Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

You're 98% safe leaving it down there. It's that other 2% that ALWAYS comes back to haunt me...
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

If it's in the oil pan, it should be ok, but I wouldn't bet on it and would personally get it ASAP.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade578 View Post
Okay this may sound really stupid, but this is what happened. I was replacing the mechanical fuel pump on my 258. After removing the old one, I screwed the bolts back in so I would not lose them. When I got back with the new pump, I was unscrewing the bolts and one slipped out of my hand and fell into the engine. I heard it bounce around a bit before it came to rest. I believe that it is in the oil pan. I tried fishing it out with a magnet on a flexible rod with no luck. I am trying to avoid having to drop the oil pan to retrieve it.

Am I crazy to consider leaving it in there until I can get around to dropping the oil pan? Is there anything in the bottom of the oil pan that it could damage? Any thoughts?
try a magnet through the drain plug hole in the oil pan.Also a big speaker magnet or other strong magnet on the outside of the pan to get the bolt near the drain plug hole.
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I definitely would not feel comfortable with it down there. It takes maybe an hour to pull the pan and get it back in. Replace the gasket and what not while your down there. Plus you'll get a really good oil change. If for some reason it does find its way off the bottom of the oil pan you'll be looking at way more time to fix the problems that could cause.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

I'm a YJ guy, yeah but I think this sort of thing applies to all engines. Get it out, ASAP. A bolt of any size will wreak havoc on your internals if the crankshaft picks it up somehow. Sure, you may be able to get away with it but its like playing Russian Roulette. Do you want to chance blowing the guts out of your motor?
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

NEVER run an engine with something like that in the oil pan. Unless you need an excuse to get a new engine, IE a 4.7 Stroker....
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

It's not installed in the vehicle is it? if it fell down the fuel pump hole the engine must have been on its side in a engine stand. pull the oil pan!
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

The engine is installed in the vehicle. The chances of it actually falling in the engine were extremely slim, but you know Murphy's Law. That is even more reason to drop the pan. Thanks for talking my senses back into me.
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

All it would take is one good bump for it to bounce up off the bottom of the pan, and potentially jam between a connecting rod and the block. That would not be a good day. Better to get it out, and while you've got the pan off, clean out any sludge and inspect everything down there.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
billymac4511
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like the suggestion of using a speaker magnet on the outside of the pan and a magnet on a rod to pull it out of the pan.

I think that would work the best and would probably be quicker... or at least cleaner than R&R the whole oil pan... now if your gasket down there is in need of a change... what better an excuse!
Unread 12-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

So my friend and I pulled an all nighter over the weekend dropping the pan. The bolt has been retrieved!! I have run into a problem though. After 6 hours of work we finally got everything put back together and the Jeep will not start. I turn the key and get nothing, not even lights. So I charged the battery this morning and took it to Autozone to load test. They say the battery is still good. I put the battery back and the Jeep and tried to start it again. The first try the solenoid clicked once but the engine did not turn over. After that I got nothing. We did have to remove the starter to drop the pan. When I get home from work I am going to check all my connections from the battery to the solenoid to the starter. Any other ideas of what might be wrong? I have not checked any fuses yet....
Unread 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade578 View Post
So my friend and I pulled an all nighter over the weekend dropping the pan. The bolt has been retrieved!! I have run into a problem though. After 6 hours of work we finally got everything put back together and the Jeep will not start. I turn the key and get nothing, not even lights. So I charged the battery this morning and took it to Autozone to load test. They say the battery is still good. I put the battery back and the Jeep and tried to start it again. The first try the solenoid clicked once but the engine did not turn over. After that I got nothing. We did have to remove the starter to drop the pan. When I get home from work I am going to check all my connections from the battery to the solenoid to the starter. Any other ideas of what might be wrong? I have not checked any fuses yet....
Good to hear the bolt has been removed, lord knows that pesky thing could have done some real damage!

Definitely check and CLEAN the connections. What may look like just a little bit of corrosion to you could be a very high amount of resistance to the connections. Especially if you had them apart. Clean the connections on the battery too, use one of those little wire brushes for cleaning battery posts. They work awesome.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade View Post
Good to hear the bolt has been removed, lord knows that pesky thing could have done some real damage!

Definitely check and CLEAN the connections. What may look like just a little bit of corrosion to you could be a very high amount of resistance to the connections. Especially if you had them apart. Clean the connections on the battery too, use one of those little wire brushes for cleaning battery posts. They work awesome.
My Jeep was doing that and it was a bad ground. Check your neg cable where it connects to the block, and check the terminal end too. I actually ran my - batt cable to one of the ears on the starter, then another off of the other starter ear to the stock location on the block.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
IDK

If it was me I'd just drop the pan and figure it out because any loose metal particles inside a motor will almost always end in a sad story if you try to run it. The cost of a new motor is not very appealing to me and I'd much rather go through the pain of dropping the pan and fishing it out rather than coughing up 3k for a new motor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.