drop pitman arm correct length - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

drop pitman arm correct length

Hello All,

I am tired of not turning left and I have been on the hunt for the correct length of the pitman arm.

I have a SOA lift and I am currently using a skyjacker drop pitman. It is shorter than the OEM but I no longer have the OEM to get measurements.

I have searched and not one of the manufacturers list any dimensions with their product, only the drop amount. The shorter the arm, the less it can turn the wheels.

Does anyone know what aftermarket arm will get me back to the correct length? The picture below shows what i am talking about.

Thanks,
Chris

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

TTT

Anyone have a cj7 they could take the measurement of this arm?

Thanks,
Chris
post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a CJ5 with a SOA and all custom hi steer but a stock, non-drop pitman arm.
I'll go measure it now...be right back.

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck

post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, I'm back. Looks to be about 6 7/8 center to center
Take a look

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #5 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

When you say you are "tired of not turning left" I am a little confused. Your turning radius should be reduced equally left and right if the shorter pitman is indexed (centered) where the old arm was. I too have a dropped pitman arm and it is shorter but I am using it with a BDS 4" spring under lift. I would like to find a solution to my turning radius.

I was told by the owner of a aftermarket Jeep parts shop (this guy knows his parts) that no one makes a full length dropped arm. I still find this hard to believe but I have never found one. I would think of nothing else, someone could take one of the flat generic arms that look to be made out of plate steel and TIG weld a dropped piece on it.

I am interested in your solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989604 View Post
Hello All,

I am tired of not turning left and I have been on the hunt for the correct length of the pitman arm.

I have a SOA lift and I am currently using a skyjacker drop pitman. It is shorter than the OEM but I no longer have the OEM to get measurements.

I have searched and not one of the manufacturers list any dimensions with their product, only the drop amount. The shorter the arm, the less it can turn the wheels.

Does anyone know what aftermarket arm will get me back to the correct length? The picture below shows what i am talking about.

Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I have also found that several of the aftermarket dropped Pitman arms are not indexed correctly… Thus the off-center to begin with and why do you have more turn on one side versus the other

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
Chris
Do you have a picture of your steering linkage? most spring overs lose turning to the right as the draglink hits the spring. if you have a 'z' bar, it may be too long and you then lose left turn as you are not centered in box travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
When you say you are "tired of not turning left" I am a little confused. Your turning radius should be redused equally left and right if the shorter pitman is indexed (centered) where the old arm was. I too have a dropped pitman arm and it is shorter but I am using it with a BDS 4" spring under lift. I would like to find a solution to my turning radius.

I was told by the owner of a aftermarket Jeep parts shop (this guy knows his parts) that no one makes a full length dropped arm. I still find this hard to believe but I have never found one. I would think of nothing else, someone could take one of the flat generic arms that look to be made out of plate steel and TIG weld a dropped piece on it.

I am interested in your solution.
You need to look into a draglink and tierod flip kit like the one from goferit and put back on a stock no drop pitman arm.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Honestly i never checked the indexing. I did not have the OEM arm to check it against. SOmeone just told me it was a length issue but it makes more sense about the index.

Mine is a spring over lift with OEM springs. I do not have any clearance issues, I guess just off in the correct index.

I will pull it off this week and see if it can be modified to rotate a few degrees
post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989604
Honestly i never checked the indexing. I did not have the OEM arm to check it against. SOmeone just told me it was a length issue but it makes more sense about the index. Mine is a spring over lift with OEM springs. I do not have any clearance issues, I guess just off in the correct index. I will pull it off this week and see if it can be modified to rotate a few degrees
I don't think that is going to be possible. I looked at my old steering gear and there are only four ways (90° apart) that the pitman will go on. I agree that it sounds like the gear was not centered when the arm was installed.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 PM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post

I don't think that is going to be possible. I looked at my old steering gear and there are only four ways (90° apart) that the pitman will go on. I agree that it sounds like the gear was not centered when the arm was installed.
I had a 4" drop arm on mine, possibly a Rugged Ridge arm. I could turn to the stops easily in both directions, even had to adjust the stops to keep the tires from rubbing the springs. Mine didn't have indexing splines, so it could be put on in any orientation.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I have a CJ5 with a SOA and all custom hi steer but a stock, non-drop pitman arm.
I'll go measure it now...be right back.
my drop arm measures ~5.25. ( i think it is from skyjacker)

What outers did you use for your high steer? I am also SOA lift and I am considering doing the same thing.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Sorry to hijack.... I have a brand new CJ drop arm from BDS that I'll trade for a good stock CJ one. No rusty bent junk please. Each pays shipping.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #13 of 13 Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my drop arm measures ~5.25. ( i think it is from skyjacker)

What outers did you use for your high steer? I am also SOA lift and I am considering doing the same thing.
Sorry for the late reply...I've been very far away for a while.

I used some flat top knuckles borrowed (permanently) from an ancient drum-braked Chevy D44. My 6 bolt caliper brackets fit perfectly. I skimmed both knuckle tops in the mill, then drill and tapped 3 holes for 5/8 studs and 2 press fitted 1/2 dowel pins. I made my own hi steer arms from some AISI 4340 that was hanging around the shop. Bought and used a tapered reamer to fit to the TRE's. Also made my own drag link and tie rod from some 1-1/2 OD x heavy wall AISI 4140. Welded in right and left hand threaded bungs to accept the TRE's.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results. Steering is very responsive, tracking is great, absolutely no bump steer. No steering damper needed, rock steady on any road surface at least up to 70 mph, my max so far.
And I love the fact that my steering linkage is up high and well protected.
I also welded in some custom made (by me!) trusses for the D30 axle tubes and inner C's. I've got 12" of suspension travel front and rear, with 5150 Bilsteins and stock YJ springs. The ride is very supple and smooth, no comparison to my LJ with 5" of Rock Krawler lift and all RK adjustable control arms.

If you want any photos, just let me know and I can dig some up.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.