Driving with hubs locked? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Driving with hubs locked?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-29-2002, 09:43 PM   #1
DarkHorse

Driving with hubs locked?

How will it affect my Jeep, if I have my hubs locked while NOT in 4WD? The reason I ask is, I lock them while playing in mud, & I don't need to use 4WD unless I have to. Most of the time I am in 2WD until I do get buried, and it's only then, I will switch to 4-low. No problems so far. Just curious to know if there maybe some problems down the road. Thanks.

Unread 01-30-2002, 06:40 AM   #2
rivertrout10

I do it without problem as well - I think the only thing that locking your hubs really effects is a little gas mileage. There has been discussion in the forum on this subject before and the general consensus is that it does not cause any damage - especially at lower speeds and in off-road conditions.

Derek
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:58 AM   #3
bodi

They way that I understand it is that it is good to do this on occassions as it seems as if it would help keep the hubs lubbed (sp?).
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
MR.CJ-7

Another vote for No prob.

I run mine all the time in winter and when flat towing(someone said it helps lube the T-case)

Right now I am running mine continuosly to get some miles on my new R&P.
Unread 01-31-2002, 06:38 PM   #5
Jack CJ7

No, keeping the front hubs locked will NOT keep the T-Case lubed. (Dana 300).
To flat tow the CJ, one must either remove the DriveShaft, or install a Warn Full Floating axel kit, with Locking hubs.
This is especially true if a TeraLo 4/1 kit has been installed..
Jack CJ 7
Unread 02-02-2002, 09:47 AM   #6
MR.CJ-7

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack CJ7:
No, keeping the front hubs locked will NOT keep the T-Case lubed. (Dana 300).
To flat tow the CJ, one must either remove the DriveShaft, or install a Warn Full Floating axel kit, with Locking hubs.
This is especially true if a TeraLo 4/1 kit has been installed..
Jack CJ 7
Why not? Drive shaft spins T-case gears which causes gear splash right?
Unread 02-06-2002, 02:21 PM   #7
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

I'm no expert, but I talked to the experts at Jeep R Us and they said the Warn full floating axel kit is best, but if you don't want to spend the extra money, you can stop towing every 300 or so miles and start the Jeep engine. This will splash lube the transfer case.

(Flat Towing is what we're talking about now)
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
West

To get the splash lube you'd need to get the shaft in the transfer case spinning to create splash.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
Jeep CJ5

If you constantly drive with the front hubs locked there will be minor additional wear on the axle components.(I always questioned how much wear there could actually be)

If you are doing it ocassionaly when you are in winter weather or four wheeling I would not worry.

Billy
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:42 PM   #10
jeepster18_88

If you look at the D300 you'll see that the filler hole is high enough that the rear driveshaft would catch lube as it spins. Otherwise your transfer case would lock up after just driving it a short distance. That's because your transfer case is running all the time. If you don't agree, think about this. Why would the recommended transfer case oil change be the same as the transmission. The lube doesn't go bad sitting in a bottle so therefore it wouldn't in a sealed box. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:00 AM   #11
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

My thought son locking hubs:
The theory of unlocking the hubs was to help in the gas mileage department and to save the knuckles from abuse on hard road surface.
Well now they make front wheel drive cars and all of a sudden the knuckle issue ..is not and issue.
You can feel the steering wheel grab alittle if you turn the wheel all the way to lock but how often does one do that?
My wifes truck has 250K on the odometer and we have not replace a knuckle yet and as soon as the roads aget a bit slushy..she locks them in.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 08:22 AM   #12
MR.CJ-7

Well I am definetly no expert in the T-case dept. One member here suggested it would lube the front. Either was I am not concerned about a prob for the moderate amount I flat tow my CJ. BTW the issue for me is no longer I picked up a car hauler the other day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.