Driving around with just the soft top frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Driving around with just the soft top frame?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Driving around with just the soft top frame?

So I have a new bestop soft top. It is really nice and I like it, but this is a jeep and I didn't buy it to drive around with a top on. So, here is the question. The insides of the tubes of the new frame work is rusting. I think I might just cap the ends with glue or something, but have any of you guys have this happened? I just talked to someone at quadratec and he said that the frame work was never designed to be driven around in the down position like I have been doing. I mean, its a JEEP. I would think that it should be ok to drive around with the frame in the down position all the time and be just fine.

Sorry about the crap pictures. The jeep is in the garage and it was dark. You can see that the inside of the tube is rusting and then leaking rusty fluid on to the tub floor, and the roll bar. I just noticed it. Same thing on both sides. Is there a good way of stopping this?

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I think a soft top should be designed to be in the up or down position. If you left it up all the time you should just have gotten a hard top. Obviously they didn't paint the inside of the tubes so when water gets inside it is going to rust, especially since you live in Mass. Maybe you can blow some compressed air in there to remove any water and loose material then spray in some rust inhibiter and cap it. All I can think of since we don't have such issues out here in AZ.
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

If I remember correctly there are straps that hold the bars together in the down position. Maybe get a 1 pint can of paint and just pour some down in there, or improvise something to get some paint in there or maybe spray a lot of white lithium grease in there and let it run down the tube. There is this stuff called FLUID FILM, that comes in an aerosol can, that stays on a while.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

That Quadratec guy is full of prunes... (you pick the stage of digestion.) As already pointed out there are tie down straps with clips on them that attach to the rail. In addition there are stowaway clips for the rods as well.

I run with the top down as often as I can.
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies. I always have the frame secured the way it was designed, with the bars clipped in place along with the strap securing the rear of the frame.

I just think it is weird that the quadratec guy would say that the frame was not designed to just be in the down position all the time. Pretty stupid IMO. I am going to take it down to the place that painted my jeep and see what they think. Spending 900 bucks on a top and having the frame start rusting all over the place in under a few months is pretty ****ty.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I would just pour some paint into the tubes and make sure the inside is coated too.
POR-15 is good stuff.
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

on my second best top can't say I have or had problems with rust por15 would be the answer to the problem if I did.

Tags
bestop supertop , cj7 , soft top , soft top frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.