Driver's Door Handle FUBAR'ed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Aphelion79

Driver's Door Handle FUBAR'ed

Yep... its borked...

Usually, I yank on the handle... flip the door open and hop in... lately... I've yanked the door handle and if I do it too hard the handle will go *crunk* and be perfectly 90* open... so I can't push it closed again... unless I "open" the door from the inside and push the outside handle closed... (after climbing in the passenger's side to open the door)

Now, no matter how gently I pull on the handle... it just goes *crunk* and does its 90* pose and laughs at me.... is my door dead or can I just replace the handle? Its like its not "catching" whatever is in there that moves the door latches... Hopefuly nothing major is broken inside... havent seen parts for doors besides weatherstripping and the handles!

Full Steel doors, btw...

1982 CJ7
Iron Duke "Hurricane" 151 CID 2.5L 4-Cyl
T177 Tranny | Dana 300 T-Case
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I am glad I am not alone. I did this during the ice storm we had and knew the second I did it, it was a big no no.
Pull the door panel off and the cover. The outer latch will have a slide on the inside to push the rod out off the catch mechanism, most likely it is bent or in my case the bottom of the handle rod is worn and just flexes. Mine needs to be replaced. I tried to bend it back, but there isn't much room. Oh well, I will deal with this summer, most likely replacing the outer handle set up.

85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Fuzz21

1985 CJ7 

just did the same repair on mine during the ice storm here in pittsburgh, went out in the a.m. and crunch!!!! the little weak arm inside on the handle broke. I got a replacement off e-bay for 20bucks and did it at work. You have to contort yourself to get the pins out but a little patience and a very long set of needle nose pliers (curved if you have them). I tried bending the little "bar" back and put everything back together and on the first pull it broke, so my suggestion is just get a new one and don't put it all back together until you know it works!!!!

1985 CJ-7, 258 w/a weber carb and HEI, 2.5"lift w/32" tires, 1/2"shackle lift, Dana 300, T-5, AMC 20 w/one piece axels, and Dana 30, YJ tub swap w/CJ tailgate, chevy blower motor upgrade, homeade body sliders, flush mount LED taillights......much more to come!!

"And on the eigth day, Man created BEER!"

post #4 of 11 Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Aphelion79

So say if I got a whole new outer handle... this should include this little piece that bends/breaks?

1982 CJ7

post #5 of 11 Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Fuzz21

1985 CJ7 

yep the handle is anywhere from 18-40 bucks depending on where you get it. quadratec has it for 18.99 i think and 4wd has it for 39.99. i got mine off ebay and seems to be better quality than factory. just remove your door panel and look up in there behind the handle and you'll see two wedges w/a step pattern in them holding the handle against the door. push up on them while releasing the spring and the handle will loosen. it may be easier if you remove the door from the jeep otherwise your looking up and working blind pretty much. Its a real knuckle scraper!!!

1985 CJ-7, 258 w/a weber carb and HEI, 2.5"lift w/32" tires, 1/2"shackle lift, Dana 300, T-5, AMC 20 w/one piece axels, and Dana 30, YJ tub swap w/CJ tailgate, chevy blower motor upgrade, homeade body sliders, flush mount LED taillights......much more to come!!

post #6 of 11 Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Aphelion79

Alright, sweet... thanks a bunch all!

1982 CJ7

post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2007, 08:04 AM
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I did the same thing! Of course it has to happen on the coldest night of the year, wouldn't have it any other way.

I took the door off, laid it on the bench at my shop and took it apart. What happened was the handle jumped over the piece that it moves when you go to open the door.

A big screwdriver and 2 bloody knuckles later, I snapped it back into place and even peened it over a little bit to prevent it from happening again.

Jeep doors are a dream to take apart because 1) you can just remove them from the body and lay them on the bench, and 2) they are so simple compared to these modern cars where you have to be able to sniff out the 25 screws, bolts, torx, and clips before the panel comes off. That's why we love em.

Good luck though,

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
post #8 of 11 Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Fuzz21

1985 CJ7 

Just an FYI and suggestion, I attempted to bend that little piece back over and as you may have read in my previous reply, I stupidly put it all back together and then the darn thing broke off completely because it was so weak. SO, I went ahead and replaced it, but now that i know what a PITA it is i would just buy the handle and replace it. It's not all that much and one less thing you have to worry about standing in the rain unzipping the top and climbing in the window, Not that i did that of course TWICE!!!!

post #9 of 11 Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
backstrap

This guy has a lot of stuff. I,ve purchased a number of things from him, Door handles, window cranks, lower stearing column bearing kit.(eliminated about 90% of the wobble in my stearing)
Check him out
http://shops.half.ebay.com/the4x4dude_W0QQ

Got Mud?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-10-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaamedic 152
Just an FYI and suggestion, I attempted to bend that little piece back over and as you may have read in my previous reply, I stupidly put it all back together and then the darn thing broke off completely because it was so weak. SO, I went ahead and replaced it, but now that i know what a PITA it is i would just buy the handle and replace it. It's not all that much and one less thing you have to worry about standing in the rain unzipping the top and climbing in the window, Not that i did that of course TWICE!!!!
Well fortunately the passenger's side door still works... lol I've put an order in for a new handle as well... should be here within a week... thanks all for the quick info!

1982 CJ7

post #11 of 11 Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaamedic 152
t's not all that much and one less thing you have to worry about standing in the rain unzipping the top and climbing in the window, Not that i did that of course TWICE!!!!
Haha yeah I'm with you there. We were in the middle of a retched ice storm and I think everything was just frozen stuck in there, and it jumped over.

I couldn't find a bungee cord or string or anything for the life of me! So I ended up pulling an extension out of the garage and tieing the door closed to the passenger side headrest, and driving to my shop to work on it.

Oh what we do for our CJ's! :

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.