Drive shaft questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drive shaft questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Stelly1227
1977 CJ7 

Drive shaft questions

Has anyone made their own drive shaft with parts from a tractor supply store? Would these work or would they not handle the hp? I have a sbc 350 with t-19. Any advice on the matter please

Stelly1227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Tractor shafts are relatively low speed, but pretty heavy duty. That said if you made it right and found a place to balance it, it should work.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

All I've ever personally done is hacked up a junkyard drive-shaft to meet my needs. Unfamiliar with the parts you are referring to from the tractor supply.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
CSP

The tolerances on the slip joint are too loose on the tractor parts. It would vibrate like mad at highway speeds.

I have three tractors that use PTO equipment on the three point and you can see the driveshafts moving around when it's running. Those shafts only spin at 540RPM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Stelly1227
1977 CJ7 

Ok I found my old drive shaft but it has a good wobble to it. If I were to cut out the bent part and change it out. What would I use to make it. What would be the best material to use
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Go to the junkyard and pull a DS with the same size tube as the one you have. Splice in the needed tube to make the repair. It's a little bit of a crap shoot because it's tough to tell the wall thickness or inner diameter of a jy ds and it might differ from what you have, but it's worked for me in the past.
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I've done this too....I prefer to replace the entire shaft myself.

A local shop can lengthen or shorten your ds as well. For a price, but around here,to shorten is about 50.00, lengthen varies some. I've paid from 75.00-150.00 for that.

Dave in Muskegon using Jeep Forum App
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Savemycj
1975 CJ5 

You can get double cardan driveshafts (front of Cherokees and TJs I think?) from junkyards and have them shortened to fit front or rear. These can handle angles better.
Savemycj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

If you do decide to go double cardan, then you have to change the t-case output yoke, because it is very different in all aspects. Also you must rotate the rear axle pinion up to point at the t-case yoke. If you don't need double cardan then don't do it. Keep it simple as possible.
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
If you do decide to go double cardan, then you have to change the t-case output yoke, because it is very different in all aspects. Also you must rotate the rear axle pinion up to point at the t-case yoke. If you don't need double cardan then don't do it. Keep it simple as possible.
Can you elaborate a little on this? Where would I get the yoke from? Im doing a t18 swap and am pretty sure ill need a double cardan shaft as my single is at a pretty steap angle now with the t150
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
CSP

The bolt hole spacing is different and the bolts pass from the transfer case side of the yoke and screw into the CV joint.

The yoke availability depends on which tcase you have. The D300 and 26 spline Dana 20 can use the yoke off the front of an XJ tcase or 79 and older Qtrac fullsize Jeep case. Driveline suppliers also have them.
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The bolt hole spacing is different and the bolts pass from the transfer case side of the yoke and screw into the CV joint.

The yoke availability depends on which tcase you have. The D300 and 26 spline Dana 20 can use the yoke off the front of an XJ tcase or 79 and older Qtrac fullsize Jeep case. Driveline suppliers also have them.
Ok I have 2 of the dana 20 tcase's one from a j truck and the stock one from my cj5 would either of those be a 26 spline and is there a specific year xj that the front yoke fits my rear? Also do I use the front xj shaft or the rear?
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
CSP

Count your own splines to determine if either is 26 spline.

XJ with NP231 tcase has the right yoke. Surely you can google to find out what years those are.
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
Stelly1227
1977 CJ7 

Does anyone know what vehicle would take the same size u-joints as a factory 77cj7
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
CSP

Lots of vehicles use the 1310 ujoint. What's your idea?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.