Drive shaft angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drive shaft angle

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
buggycj7

Drive shaft angle

So I keep busting universal joint clips which in turn means my axle falls loose on my lifted cj7 front drive shaft. Anyone know what the 'most' acceptable angle is for my front drive shaft? I have a Dana 300 using 13-10 u-joints. I'm looking into putting a 'u joint knuckle' in to see if it fixes the problem but would like to know if dropping my Dana 300 is necessary?!

buggycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Go through the CJ section here:

http://www.4xshaft.com/

Also, some photos would help a lot to see just how steep your drive line is and your pinion angle etc...

SC
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
79indcj7
1979 CJ7 

How much lift? Does it have a transfer case drop? Pinion angles vary from front to back. I want to say a decent pinion angle is about 15 degrees give or take a few from that. Front axles are different you cant push up your pinion real high because it will affect your caster (death wobble and darting)
79indcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

15 degree is max on a conventional u joint and binding will occur. This being said, at rest you will want about 7 degrees allowing for more angle when suspension flexes. The knuckle you mentioned is a cv joint which many cj7's have from the factory.
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

please fill out your jeep info
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

As it is your front prop that is giving trouble it would not be an improvement to drop the Dana 300 as such. You can turn it and "clock" it but this will cause other issues and reduce clearances.

It is not clear which CJ you have as you have not filled in your profile but I assume it is an early 80s CJ7. The front shaft is, depending on gearbox, around 3-4" LONGER than the rear shaft. It is more common to have problems with the rear shaft when you lift the suspension as the angles will be acuter in the back.

If it was a CJ5 this would be an even truer observation.

So, why are you having problems with the front and not the back? Most users have their CJs in 4WD for only short periods and the shaft should be at rest. Are you only using it off road or are you using it in 4WD on tarmac?

When you say the clip fails do you mean the securing bolts that hold the bearing caps on to the shaft?

If it is your joints breaking or wearing out what grease are you using and howw pumped are they with grease? What brand of joints are you using? Spicer are reckoned to be superior.

I am just surprised you do not have these problems at the rear.

If you want to find out more about angles look up Tom Woods website.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
CSP

Angles don't really come into play in the front shaft as it's not usually spinning fast enough to cause a vibration.

If the angle was really the problem you would be breaking ujoints instead of clips. Sounds like there are other things at play like possibly a damaged or worn out yoke.

At which end of the shaft are the clips breaking, axle or tcase?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Another thing that may come into play is if you have a lift that is extending the shaft too far. Going over bumps would tend to extend the shaft beyond it's intended length.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.