Drive shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drive shaft

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
redflame6

Drive shaft

Just put a 4" on my cj7 which already had extended shackles. My front drive shaft is now too short. It is only about 1 1/2" in the spline. Is there another drive shaft compatable that I can mix with mine to make it longer or use the whole thing. Or is my only option to buy a new shaft.

1994 ZJ Loredo 5.2l, Pro Comp lift, 31x10.5, Painted Black Cladding, Painted Black Rims
redflame6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

how long are your shackles?

I had a 4" superlift with stock shackles and have never had a driveshaft problem.
In fact I just went SOA with stock leaves, about 5.5-6 total lift, front shaft is still good
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
redflame6

Not sure but front shaft is extremely loose and pretty worried about it coming off. bolt to bolt I believe they were 6" (shackles)

1994 ZJ Loredo 5.2l, Pro Comp lift, 31x10.5, Painted Black Cladding, Painted Black Rims
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I almost wonder if the shaft is damaged
6" shackles are pretty tall, that's twice the length of stock.
I don't know if thats enough to damage a driveshaft, maybe it just need to be replaced.
Measure your shaft from yoke to yoke at ride height and post it up on here
when you get a chance
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
redflame6

33" from outside edge of each yoke. like i said that is almost completely spread out.

Unread 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
twistedcj
1978 CJ7 

Not to add insult to injury, but after you cure the driveline issue, you will have to adress your caster problem. The new springs would have been arched to give descent caster back to the front axle. With your 6" shackles, you have just turned your knuckles "down." That's gonna make the jeep steer funny. It won't want to center, it'll wander, etc. Been down this road myself. Get rid of the lift shackles, and put some close-to-factory length stronger ones back on. Make sure the shackles have enough swing for the length of spring when it compresses and extends. You don't want them to bind or flip back under the spring and bind onto the frame. Good luck.
twistedcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedcj View Post
...you will have to adress your caster problem. The new springs would have been arched to give descent caster back to the front axle. With your 6" shackles, you have just turned your knuckles "down." That's gonna make the jeep steer funny. It won't want to center, it'll wander, etc. ...

Not always, the RE HD 4.5" lift has 6.75" shackles. Yes, it needs that much to flex (flatten). Don't assume a longer shackle will cause caster problems.

I did grind a little off the base of the perches to add some caster but it wasn't a huge amount. My caster was about 3.5* but I took it back to 6*.

One of these days I'm going to post diagrams about mechanical trail.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

That's a matched setup versus disparate parts tossed together...good bet he just screwed up his caster as the vast majority of lift springs are little to no longer than stock springs.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

you have two choices either take it to a driveshaft shop that can retube it to make it longer or buy a new custom one. If yours is that sloppy in the splines a new one is what you need.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
redflame6

Thanks deadeye. I will look into a new one from Tom Wood's. As far as wondering. It does. And I know it is from the shackles which were on by previous owner. Not my desperate attempt to throw parts together. I am going to put it together right. Just needed advice on it. Thanks.

Unread 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I found that the Grand Cherokee front driveshaft was exactly the size I needed. So I found one on eBay.

Check your compressed and extended length. If there's a shaft that's already that length you don't need to have one built... unless you just want a "new" one.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I have a front drive shaft that I will sell from an 83 CJ7 that had an auto trans in it. The driveshaft measures collapsed 33" from u-joint centers, and extended 36" from u-joint centers. Let me know if it will work for you.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.