Drive shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drive shaft

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Rickstwowheels

Drive shaft

I have torn up my front driveshaft on my CJ5 at the slip joint. It is loose like there should be a bearing. Any opinions on repair or should I just order a new one.

Rickstwowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

If it has excessive slop in the slip portion you need to replace it. It could possibly bind during suspension compression or extension failing to lengthen or compress and damage transfer case or front axle. At the least it probably no longer turns true and will vibrate like crazy. And you are sure that unjointed are in good condition? Don't think there are any bearings in the drive shaft.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Rickstwowheels

Slop isn't even the word. You can move the drive shaft back and forth a couple of inches. I will just order a new one. I think I saw one for about 200 bucks on Morris.
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

Is it originating from the slip spline area. I ask because a couple of inches sounds like a fron transfercase output bearing failure, meaning the pinion and output shaft have nothing holding them in place. A couple if inches in a spline slip is very excessive. The inner spline shaft itself is not much thicker than a couple of inches. The outer is much more either. What I am trying to say is it is hard to produce 2 inches of wear in a component that is only 3 or so inches thick without it braking in to halves.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
RWise
1981 CJ5 

I just put new Taton drive shafts in my CJ5, $300 delivered for both front and rear off there ebay site! Thats front and rear all new no used parts! They are nice heavy shafts, and run much smother than the old shafts. OK I exoected that for the front, but I had no idea the rear would make such a differance.
Here is a link to a "but it now" for $150 each delivered! I cant beat this price local!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1310-JEE...bc0712&vxp=mtr

If you are stock, They will need this info, edit for CJ5 (mine is 1980)
OEM collapsed length
Front 29.50"
Rear 12.88"

If the link does not work searh the bay for NEW 1310 JEEP DRIVESHAFT 2" 120 WALL TUBING CJ5 CJ7

I have heard the comment that this is a bit thin on the rear, but the rear tube on this shaft for a CJ5 is maybe 2" long

Pics of the front shaft in this thread of shafts old/new.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ti...hafts-1875954/
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Rickstwowheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
I just put new Taton drive shafts in my CJ5, $300 delivered for both front and rear off there ebay site! Thats front and rear all new no used parts! They are nice heavy shafts, and run much smother than the old shafts. OK I exoected that for the front, but I had no idea the rear would make such a differance.
Here is a link to a "but it now" for $150 each delivered! I cant beat this price local!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1310-JEE...bc0712&vxp=mtr

If you are stock, They will need this info,
OEM collapsed length
Front 29.50"
Rear 12.88"

If the link does not work searh the bay for NEW 1310 JEEP DRIVESHAFT 2" 120 WALL TUBING CJ5 CJ7

I have heard the comment that this is a bit thin on the rear, but the rear tube on this shaft for a CJ5 is maybe 2" long

Pics of the front shaft in this thread of shafts old/new.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ti...hafts-1875954/

Great, thanks!
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Do make sure yours falls in the same group as my year model,,1980,,, it covers several years but,,, dont want to give them the wrong length! And if you are lifted then measure the old one, also he comunicates well, he will answer your questions! When mine came in I only got the front next morning I emailed him at about 8 his time, within the hour he replied he would check on it, by noon I had a tracking number and the shaft the next morning!
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #8
Rickstwowheels

It is a 1980 as well, thanks again for the info. This looks like a great part. I just placed my order. I hope it gets here before it snows again.

Last edited by Rickstwowheels; 02-01-2014 at 04:57 AM..
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Look out here it comes! we got 3" this morning,,,

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.