Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Drive CJ5 or CJ7?

9K views 51 replies 41 participants last post by  John Strenk 
#1 ·
I have an opinion question. I have a nice CJ5, it runs and goes down the road. I also have a project CJ7, lots of assembly required. I was going to sell the CJ5 so I could build the CJ7. I wanted the CJ7 to get a hardtop, more interior room for the kids, and a full door opening. The CJ7 has wide axles. The CJ5 has narrow axles. Anyway as money and lack of times goes I had decided to go with the CJ5 and swap in the wide track axles as they have stock 4.10's. I currently run 33's on the CJ5 with a shackle lift only. I have a 4" spring lift that I want to install. My buddy, who ownes a CJ7 narrow track sayes build the CJ7. He sayes that the CJ7 will handle much better on the highway then the CJ5 because of the 10 inch longer wheel base. What do you all think?

#28 ·
I would say really my only two complaints about the CJ5 would be that it's pretty bumpy going down the road (it doesn't bother me, just my passengers) and that there is minimal space, otherwise I love my CJ5 to death. It's great to be able to make very sharp turnarounds in small spaces and being able to fit in almost any parking spot. It also runs down the highway without being too squirrely. I've got nothing against CJ7s and would certainly love to have one also

#31 ·
This is starting to smell a lot like the Great Harley Debate... You know, some yup in the subdivision decides he wants to cop a rebel stance, so he goes to his local Harley Mall and buys a Soft Tail. Takes it home and brags to the neighbors about what kind of a hard *** he is and the tough-guy bars he's been in. Works great until he parks next to a real-life Shovel Head at a real-life biker bar. All of a sudden, he's not the tough guy he thought he was, and the Shovel owner has bragging rights. Up until the guy with the Pan Head shows up. He's King Cool until the guy with the Knuckle rolls in, complete with a girlfriend stout enough to kick the dang Knuckle to life.

My point? Everyone loves and defends what they have. And authenticity is a fool's errand. Whatever you own, someone own's something cooler, more authentic, and more real. So, you might just as well decide what fits you and not look to others for advice. Everyone loves what they currently own, and to some extent will attempt to denegrate what they don't. Human nature. You want a vehicle that makes sense? A Taurus I guess, or if you want 4WD, maybe a modern Tahoe or Yukon. You'll need some buck$.

Get an early 40's Military Jeep and enjoy the heck out of it and make fun of all us for not getting it...

Or maybe I'm just getting crusty in my old age.

Still, if you own a 5, you'll vote for a 5. If you own a 7, they're the only thing to own. I own a '53 Allis Chalmers WD-45. I'll state categorically that there is NO better off road vehicle. You want crawl ratio? Got it in spades. Oh, and the 3-point hitch rocks as well.

#34 ·
This is starting to smell a lot like the Great Harley Debate... You know, some yup in the subdivision decides he wants to cop a rebel stance, so he goes to his local Harley Mall and buys a Soft Tail. Takes it home and brags to the neighbors about what kind of a hard *** he is and the tough-guy bars he's been in. Works great until he parks next to a real-life Shovel Head at a real-life biker bar. All of a sudden, he's not the tough guy he thought he was, and the Shovel owner has bragging rights. Up until the guy with the Pan Head shows up. He's King Cool until the guy with the Knuckle rolls in, complete with a girlfriend stout enough to kick the dang Knuckle to life.

My point? Everyone loves and defends what they have. And authenticity is a fool's errand. Whatever you own, someone owns something cooler, more authentic, and more real. So, you might just as well decide what fits you and not look to others for advice. Everyone loves what they currently own, and to some extent will attempt to denigrate what they don't. Human nature. You want a vehicle that makes sense? A Taurus I guess, or if you want 4WD, maybe a modern Tahoe or Yukon. You'll need some buck$.

Get an early 40's Military Jeep and enjoy the heck out of it and make fun of all us for not getting it...

Or maybe I'm just getting crusty in my old age.

Still, if you own a 5, you'll vote for a 5. If you own a 7, they're the only thing to own. I own a '53 Allis Chalmers WD-45. I'll state categorically that there is NO better off road vehicle. You want crawl ratio? Got it in spades. Oh, and the 3-point hitch rocks as well.
I agree to a point, but I think the CJ5 vs 7 argument is a lot about practicality and use. If I was strictly doing trail stuff with 2 people I'd probably lean to the 5, as nothing seems to fit the small spots better than a 5 - except for a Suzuki Sammi. For something with a little more space and for DD I would lean to the 7. Lets face it though, if you really want a DD/wheeler you are probably leaning toward a TJ...

BTW, sounds like you may have dated the knuckle riders girlfriend in the early days :p

#36 ·
Ok, so I STILL date the "Knuckle Girls"... They can kick-start ANYTHING!

But, ask yourself this; as a reader of the CJ forum, and thus, presumably, a CJ owner, do you envy the 4-door "Jeeps" that you see on the road everyday? I don't. So, really, what's the difference between a CJ-5 and a CJ-7 vs. a CJ-7 and the 4-door version? Yeah, I know, there's a ton of technical differences, but my point is that a CJ-7 is to a 5 owner what a 4-door is to a 7 owner.

Human nature...

#39 ·
...Have had both CJ-5 and CJ-7, built both, wheeled both extensively on and of road.
I definitely prefer the CJ-7 it has significant advantages for both highway travel on long trips, and off road (the CJ-5 worked but it was nearly as uncomfortable as a Corvette on long trips, due to its increased tendency to porpoise, slightly, on poor highways).
The 5 also was much tougher to drive on ice.
Off road the longer CJ-7 has less of a tendency to want to endo (both forward and backward) on steep hills. The CJ-7 also has less of a problem with tall stair steps.

The only place that the CJ-5 worked better was at squirreling between trees.

Both had locked 4.56 narrow track axles and SOA with YJ springs and fuel injection, deep transfer case gearing and were used with the same 33" tires (my 7 now has 35s and I got rid of the 5).

Enjoy!

#40 ·
Didn't read all comments .... but CJ7 will be more comfortable no doubt..... but dont let a hardtop stop you from going with the cj5.....they did make hardtops for them.

#41 ·
I miss my 5 and it was really a PITA to get in and out

What I really miss was the conviction you CJ guys have for them. You guys rule in all ways I would say 95% of my post's were questions I was asking, and got great answers.

Oh and it's really funny how this thread started in 03:teehee:

#42 ·
I am 6'3"..... I'm a big guy, but I do not have a gut.

I currently drive a CJ-7. I have owned a CJ-7 prior, a Scrambler, and an '85 CJ-5.

I miss my '82 CJ-5..... a lot! Nothing fancy, bone stock (replacement springs as the old ones were tired), inline 6, T-176. Learned a lot with that Jeep, like how to put in a new clutch in the driveway, with the aid of a buddy and floor jack! I wish I never sold it (sold to fund Scrambler build, which was rolled and destroyed). It was simply a lot of run to drive, and I enjoyed how maneuverable it was. They simply just look cool... chix LOVED it!!! As far as handling better on the highway than a CJ-7 due to the shorter wheelbase, well, sure... but I have also leaned toward the side of caution when taking tight turns ect., CJ-7 or CJ-5.

I didn't see much of a problem with the CJ-5's seating. If I was overweight or out of shape, I could see how getting in and out of a CJ-5 would be a challenge. But once put, well, you are in a Jeep, not an Accord. You simply sit more upright... doing so, leg room is adequate, like sitting at your desk. It is a classic Jeep! Not a 4X4 mini-van (sorry, I just cannot stand the new Wranglers).

My current CJ-7 kicks a$$, but when the time comes for another Jeep, I want another CJ-5!

#44 ·
I was a CJ-5 guy from the mid 70's, to the mid '90's, and pretty much loved them. Then I got a CJ7, modded it to the same standards as my 5's always got to, and fell in love. But, I'm 6'1"(+).

I don't think that the 2 handle that much different (except:
A) high-speed on highway in crappy conditions (CJ7 MUCH more stable), &
B) Tight wheeling (CJ5 MUCH more "agile"))
That said - How big are you? If you're doing a project build-up, you can throw a 86-95 wrangler tub on there, and really expand your "plug & play" interior / roof solutions (BUT - put a CJ tailgate on it). You also mentioned taking family / kids along - unless they're late teens, they'll just keep getting bigger.

CJ5 isn't bad, but - when it comes to room, it's the CJ7, hands down. BTW, being in alaska, you may want to look at including aux heat in the build-up - even if it gets unhooked and removed in the summer. (Just a thought) - "Eastwood" sells insulating floor liner - warm that little rolling icebox up; stop radiating BTU's through the sheet metal. It's self-sticking - heck - might even be an idea for the hard-top, too.

BTW - all of these "Seat mod / leg room" solutions - none takes into account the following - where do the back seat (family member) passenger's feet & legs go in a CJ5. I remember when my nephews were 5, they didn't like the back seats, and ended up crossing their legs completely onto the rear seat.

AND ... I don't equate 7's (except the auto-tranny quadra-traks) with the new 4-doors. One of my CJ5's was a '65 CJ-5A (Tuxedo Park), metal roof, 3-on-the-tree, and 134 F-head.

#45 ·
I am 6' 4.5" tall and I have tried to squeeze into a 5, but cannot. I think the cool factor kicks up a notch on 5 as compared to a 7, but I always find a need to stuff stuff into that 1' wide cargo area behind the back seat. Maybe once the kids are gone, I will find a 5

#46 ·
i have only owned 7's. i think they are better for all the above, plus its nice to know if your tub gets eaten or destroyed you can always find a yj tub. also i barely have enough room in my 7 when i go on the trails with a wife and 2 dogs.

#48 ·
Love it ! Shoot the 5s turn tight and if you need more room they are called receiver hitch racks

I feel that as long as you dont lift the thing to heaven and put the biggest tires you can a 5 will suite mosts purposes

#49 ·
I just got my first jeep in July. I worked all summer just to be able to buy it. I got a 79 cj5 and could not be happier. Idc about leg room or any of that **** I'm just happy as hell to have a REAL jeep. As far as space go's I have a basket on my tire rack where I keep my toe strap, ammo box with tools and a bag with a bikini top in it for those rainy days. I love my jeep and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.