Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Drive CJ5 or CJ7?

9K views 51 replies 41 participants last post by  John Strenk 
#1 ·
I have an opinion question. I have a nice CJ5, it runs and goes down the road. I also have a project CJ7, lots of assembly required. I was going to sell the CJ5 so I could build the CJ7. I wanted the CJ7 to get a hardtop, more interior room for the kids, and a full door opening. The CJ7 has wide axles. The CJ5 has narrow axles. Anyway as money and lack of times goes I had decided to go with the CJ5 and swap in the wide track axles as they have stock 4.10's. I currently run 33's on the CJ5 with a shackle lift only. I have a 4" spring lift that I want to install. My buddy, who ownes a CJ7 narrow track sayes build the CJ7. He sayes that the CJ7 will handle much better on the highway then the CJ5 because of the 10 inch longer wheel base. What do you all think?

#2 ·
If you're looking for a vehicle that's good all-around (dirt and highway) the 7 is much better. On top of the that, a hardtop is a real blessing when it starts turning chilly. I personally was looking for the right CJ7 when I bumped into and fell in love with my CJ5, but I've almost regretted my decision a couple of times in the winter when I was freezing my butt off.

#4 ·
This is a question you'll never really find an answer to, but I'll give it a shot. I got a CJ7 for several reasons, the first being my height. When I was CJ shopping I read an article which said that CJ5's were not the way to go if you were over 6 foot because your knees would smack the door openings all the time. I was also turned off to the 5's because I was told they are very squilry down the road and hard to handle because of the short wheelbase. I love my 7 and won't think of buying another Jeep. I know I will eventualy get rid of this one for several reasons (frame's shot, body mounts have fallen off). From my point of view, the CJ7 has everything I could ask for (ok, maybe it needs a little more power). If ya don't wanna build up that CJ7...my birthday's not to far away :D :D :D . Just a thought.

There's my $0.02,
Marc

#5 ·
I believe that if your looking for a jeep to go wheeling in, and carry your family and goodies along the CJ7 will make you feel much more comfortable. I have had the privledge of driving both. All I can say about the CJ5 is that is small, cute and very manuverable on the trails. I am only 5'10 and I hated the seats in the CJ5. I felt like the steering wheel was diggin into me all the time. That is why I bought a CJ7. It feels much better overall. I can enjoy wheeling and im not cramped for space. I think that if you dont mind the lack of space in the CJ5 then stay with it. The CJ7 is a project thats for sure. I am currently in the processof replacing my tranny before spring wheeling season begins.

Good Luck,
Josh

#6 ·
I've found the lack of leg room has been an issue with me also. I'm 6'2" and I've moved the seat all the way back to the fender without finding enough leg room. Once she's put back together and I have enough clearance, I'm going to notch the wheel well out so that I can move it back further.

#8 ·
I bought a CJ7 for the reasons listed. I did this same research back when I was looking and made my decission based on this exact same information. Trust me, the 7 has plenty short a wheel base. You don't need it any shorter. Plus, I belive that it will be easier to modify since the CJ5 are so short they always have short drive shaft problems. The 7's are just the right size for most mods.

#9 · (Edited)
I've got a 5 and a 7.

The easiest way I can put it:

The 5 handles like a jeep.
The 7 handles like a pickup truck.

It depends on what you need and want.

By the way, I prefer to drive the 5 daily,
including a 20 mile round trip on the highway.
But--the 7 does handle better on the highway.

#10 ·
I guess I am the only person on here thats going to tell you to keep the 5. I started out in a 5 and I regret selling it like you would not believe. Everything that everyone else has complained about the 5 I beleive I fixed on mine. I was able to commute 1.5hrs each way to school everyday and not mind it. The way I fixed goes as such:

1. I put a tilt steering column out of a 70's camaro in it as well as the sterring box out of one as well. This allowed me to use a 13" steering wheel easily.
2. I put Geo storm seats in it so I could have about 4" more leg room (they are only about 4" thick and they were still able to recline a decent amout. Also they they held up for over 6 yrs of driving it all summer and most winters without a top on it.
3. I took the solid mount off of the back of the front leaf springs and relocated it to the front, putting the shackle in the back of the spring. That COMPLETELY turned the handling and made it really stable on the road.

A friend and I took a 6 hr. drive to go on vacation in it and had no problems with it.
I love the way 5s handle off road and I like that you are seeing less and less of them on the roads now.

If you have any other questions let me know here or in an PM
Have fun working on either one. Just remember, you are also currently driving the 5 now so there are no surprises.

#11 ·
Sixshooter I was mostly looking for people to tell more about the handling. It sounds like yours did okay. I'm glad to hear that from someone. I have been driving mine and so far it has handled as good or better then some CJ7s. I do have acouple of questions.

What size / type tires were you on?
Did you have a lift?
sounds like you did a shackle reversal, was it a kit?

I do like the tight turning on the trail and will probably go with the CJ5.

#12 ·
sixshooter did you use a shackle reversal kit? it sounds like you just cut off the rear mounts and welded them on the front

#13 · (Edited)
i have had a CJ-5 for almost 2.5 yrs
although i havent driven it, i wouldnt trade for anything
even a hummer

all the little quirks the 5s have can be fixed
my 5 is an early 5 so its 3" shorter than most of them
i also like the fact that you hardly ever see CJ-5s on the road, much less early 5s
i love those short noses:D

i am moving my front axle about 2 or 3" forward and my rear axle as far back as it will go
since i am moving the rear axle back, i can notch the rear fender a lot more than usual

im thinking about doing a shackle reversal but i am not totally sold on it
my 5 is going to be SOA with 4" lift springs
i swapped out my narrow tracs for some wide trac cherokee D/44s
i have a tilt column and power steering out of the same cherokee as the axles

you can get a hard top for a 5 but they are expensive
the one i priced was around 1500$ brandnew from AJs and i have to swap out my early upright w/s for the later angled w/s
heres a pic:

i like CJ-7s and i would love to own one, but they just dont have the style that 5s have

whatever you decide will be the right choice because neither one of them are Wranglers
(they are not jeeps, they are chryslers)

Jacob

#14 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back to your questions about how I did my 5. I was sick then playing catch-up. On one of my jeeps, I ground the welds off of the back of the front leaf springs, then re welded them in the front. On the last one I did, I just took a piece of rectagular tuing and drilled it and welded it to the front under the frame. I do not know if I would recomend doing that for the street, that was just a trail jeep, but it withstood the beating of a lifetime and still goes strong. I might be able to get pics of both set-ups if you would like. If so, let me know.

#15 ·
I would love to see pics of both sixshooter so please try thanks

#17 ·
I have had a 1976 CJ5 and a 1978 CJ7. In my mind, there's no doubt. The CJ7 is superior in practically every way. More comfortable, more leg room, more rear space, more rear driveshaft length which come in handy when swapping, longer wheelbase and so on

The only place I could see a '5 being superior would be in very tight trails like in the woods.

When I thought about starting a new rebuild, a didn't think twice about which model to rebuild. The 7 just made so much more sense. It has a bit more civilized driving fashion but still maintains the classic Jeep look (although the door openings could be argued)

#18 ·
If you have kids and you go wheelin, i would strongly recommend going with the 7. The 5's are very cool but the 7 has the room your wife will be thankful for. A happy wife means a happy day on the trails. A angry wife could result in a short day on the trails. besides you got to bring snacks and pop for the kids and T.P. for the wife. the Wide tracks are already in the 7 so save you self some time and head ache and go with the 7. For the family if not for yourself. I have a 7 and we use every inch of it. If we had a 5 i could see times that many problems with space issue's that would lead to a short trip and short tempers.

#19 ·
I had a 78 CJ 5 and loved it! It was able to squirm through some things on the trail that the 7s, YJs and TJs were having trouble getting through. They are very manueverable on the trail. My son got old enough to go and my wife wanted to join the fun (she hadn't been since my son was born). So we decided to get a CJ 7. The ride with the exact same lift was night and day. My wife even commented about how much smoother the ride was in the CJ 7. I am able to carry a cooler, extra parts (axles, ect.), straps, more people and the list goes on. I am very happy with the switch. I do miss my CJ 5. I wish I could've had both but funds said otherwise. If you have a family and are going to toake them wheeling you'll be happier with the CJ 7. I am 6' 1" and about 215 lbs and the CJ 5 was cramped. I got used to it but the seven has soooooo much more room to work with. I would suggest building the CJ 7.

#20 ·
Love my 5, goes a lot more places than a 7 in the woods. Short wheelbase is great for tight places. Mine has the old style Ross steering and it drives better than our 7 with the new style saginaw steering. i wouldnt trade my 5 for any 7 and i'm 6' 3" and i drive it almost every day. Its just so capable and it fits where others won't.

#21 ·
wow - I love my 5, I built it from nothing, with a shoe string budget. I am FAT - but, the tilt colom gives me a bit a wiggle room, the used unknown amount of lift springs I got from another project were literally used for 3 months then parked, they alow me to fit 33" tires with no issue - the 35's rubed a bit in tight corners.

She rides great - up to her 45 - 55 mph limit, not squirley one bit on the road.

She's a 64 - so no seat belts, I was going to add them but had been advised not to as they would be more of a liability since they are not origonal equipment, the officer who turned around to pull me over for not wearing a seat belt agreed. He was also stunned at her condition and it took longer to give him a tour, than I really had time for.

how many 64 cj5's do you see in your area every day? - I like the 5. :D

However - I am now building a 6 :cheers:

#22 ·
One more thing to think about...Here in California no smog for vehicles 75 and earlier. That limits you to a CJ5 if you want to run a big motor.

#23 ·
I have had a YJ, then a CJ7, and now a CJ5

A CJ7 would probably be more practical for highway driving, and carrying family/gear

But in all honesty there are several things that would be more practical than either. A cherokee for 2k would probably be better suited, or a nice YJ (plus better mileage)

In your shoes I would probably keep the 5. More original, they are becoming alot more uncommon everywhere, and a nice looking one always gets a ton of looks.

They are very squirrely stock. I love that!:D. I love that someone who has been driving around with me for a month can ask to test drive my jeep then pull over 30 seconds later and ask me how the **** I control that thing. Usually drivers alot more experienced than me too! (im 17) You can learn how to tame the beast, but it is not a general driving skill. I can keep mine in the lines on fairly curvy highways at 75 and I have a bent steering arm, but I usually use 1 hand (keeps me from overcorrecting too hard) and you really really really have to feather that steering wheel, you will get used the the balance after a couple hundred miles of highway.

As for speed, except for mileage I don't see a reason not to do a V8 swap in in any CJ. I have a 360 and I broke the 100mph barrier (101.3 according to my GPS) in mine on the way back from a camping trip today when some a-hole in an aerostar could not hold 35 uphill but because the passing lanes were all downhill he would stomp it and get it up to 80. I do not recommend this. Not only because it is criminal speed in AZ, but also because it can cause you to dirty your pants.

Reliability, (this goes for all CJs) I paid a well trusted family mechanic $800 to install the transmission I bought and go through and freshen everything else up. To date I have gone 8000 miles without having to put a nickel into it besides basic maintaining. But I also don't beat it too hard offroad, its my DD. It was not a bad price to pay to not have to worry about it leaving me stranded. I actually towed my buddies YJ 40 miles after he blew his Dana 35 on the trail. This is after he kept telling me how a CJ is going to leave me stranded when I was selling my YJ.

Honestly I think it will be a while before CJ7s really fade away but the 5s are leaving us quickly so I would hold onto the ones you have.

#24 ·
I really like my 1963 CJ5 (being 5' 10" helps alot)- But- if you are using the Jeep strickly/mostly as an off road vehicle- these days, the longer and wider size will give you more flexibility with load, modifications, and stabilty. I built my CJ5 when I was in high school (1968!). In those days, a vehicle any wider or longer than the CJ5 simply would not be usable on many of the 4wd trails as they would jam between rocks and scrape their sides off on trees. Things have changed with the type of off-roading done today and today's roads which have been modified to fit the bigger vehicles.

#26 ·
I had 2 CJ5's and now have a CJ7. I won't go back to a 5, simply because of the added leg room and the fact I can have 2 adults and 2 kids plus gear in it, something I could never do with the 5.

While you say it will be mostly a trail jeep, I assume you still have to drive to and from. The CJ7 will be noticeably better to drive and have an improved ride over the 5.

If your 7 is in that sad of shape why not sell it and find a YJ instead? My CJ7 was already lifted and on 33's when I got it, otherwise I would have gone to a 91 or so YJ for the better suspension and fuel injection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.