Drilling into winshield frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Drilling into winshield frame

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
dmchanzes

Drilling into winshield frame

I was thinking about getting one of those rear view mirrors with the compass and air temperature reading in it. But I dont want to have the wires hanging out in tubing wrapped around the windshield frame. My Jeep is a 1986 CJ-7. What I was thinking about doing was drilling into the top of the frame and wanting to snake the wires into the frame and wrap it around to the bottom. I know at the bottom I would have to drill a hole for the wires to come out. My question BEFORE I DRILL is the frame hollow all the way around or would there be anything that would block the wires from coming out the bottom?

Thanks!
Derek

dmchanzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
CallMe_Lockouts
1980 CJ7 

there shouldnt be anything

there shouldn't be anything hindering your way through the frame. i thing the wiper motor is on the driver side and the poles that attach to the wipers run on the bottom but you can see them if you pull out the black rubber covers on the windshield frame (if it has any) and the defroster runs through the bottom section so it may get warm in there but as far as i know it's hollow. i laid down my windshield on my 1980 cj7 so thats how i know. i dont think the windshield frame changed too much in the 6 years between our jeeps
CallMe_Lockouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

pretty sure the side channels are isolated and the bottom is seperated by a piece of metal. Reason being that your defrost comes through there and is isolated to just the bottom of your frame to defrost the linkage.

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
dmchanzes

When you say isolated do you mean open? I know the defrosters on the bottom part are blocked off but I was thinking coming straight down the passenger side and drilling a hole next to the screw for the rubber and pulling the wires out that way. I just want to make sure that I will not have any obstructions in the channels as for it would suck to drill and then not be able to pull the wires threw and have to get a new windshield frame.
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
brian613
1977 CJ5 

i just repaired the bottom of my windshield frame Saturday and the sides are isolated from the top and bottom.....

there is a metal wall inside the frame that separates the sides from the top and bottom

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Here is what the inside lower channel looks like. The separator is 2-3" inside the cut.

Since I still have the frame I just went outside and snapped a few more pictures. You can see where the air divider is located. You should be able to reference the location off the windshield hold down nuts.

Up the windshield post is a straight shot.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a lightly rusted windshield frame that only needs a little work, I might know a guy where you could get one cheap.
Coiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
dmchanzes

Thank you for the info. So just to clarify... As long as I go straight down the windshield posts I should be good to go???

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.