drb2 fution to reduce Mopar mpi timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > drb2 fution to reduce Mopar mpi timing

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
dandd
1982 CJ8 

drb2 fution to reduce Mopar mpi timing

I will be getting the use of a DRB2 scan tool next week. The purpose is to reduce the timing in a Mopar MPI conversion. "pinging"
I would like to know if anyone can give me a basic explaintion on how to do this and what other conponents are required (super card, flash card, jeep card, ...)

Thanks

dandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandd
I will be getting the use of a DRB2 scan tool next week. The purpose is to reduce the timing in a Mopar MPI conversion. "pinging"
I would like to know if anyone can give me a basic explaintion on how to do this and what other conponents are required (super card, flash card, jeep card, ...)

Thanks
I wasn't aware that you could do any tuning with the drb with the exception of target idle rpm.....possibly. If you can tweek timing tables that would be nice to know.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Tell me more about the conversion is it a Hesco/Mopar kit? Did you bump the compression, change cams that kind of stuff?
You may need to get a MAP adjuster cause if your running the 4.0 dizzy its not really adjustable.
This may help you in the meantime http://www.splitsec.com/products/psc1/PSC1003.htm
The 4.0 MAP is not easily hacked to make adjustments. However there is a guy on Jeepstrokers that seem to be able to massage the ECM.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
dandd
1982 CJ8 

My understanding and post from Hesco (Mopar MPI support) the max timing is adjustable in 2 degree increments for a total of + or - 6 degrees.I was told this can happen with a DRB2 not a DRB3. I’m not sure of the program card to use.
The engine is a stock rebuild from titan motors in Florida so the compression is stock plus their machining. Stock cam, exhaust manifold, 195 therm, Hesco suggested cooler plugs.
What is 4.0 Dizzy?
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Dizzy is distributer
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
dandd
1982 CJ8 

how to adjust with DRB

If you have a Moper MPI Kit (Hesco) this is how to retard timing with a DRB2 scan tool.

1. Plug SCI cable into DRB2, power and into computer interface plug.
2. Plug in super cartridge.
3. menu 1 press 4 select systems
4. menu 2 press 1 engine
5. menu 3 press 2 without A/C
6. menu 4 press 1 Fuel/Ignition
7. menu 5 press 5 Adjustments
8. menu 6 press 5 Spark Advance
9. menu 7 Spark Advance Adjustment
At this point you have the option to adjust the advance a total of -6 degrees in two degree increments.

After taking out -4 degrees the engine idles smoother and no issues with pinging, at last.
drb_sci_plug.jpg   drb_super.jpg   drb_menu1.jpg   drb_menu2.jpg   drb_menu3.jpg  

drb_menu4.jpg   drb_menu5.jpg   drb_menu6.jpg   drb_menu8.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.