Double the fun, Double the trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Double the fun, Double the trouble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Double the fun, Double the trouble

Well I just picked up a "new" 84' 7 that my neighbor bought about a year ago and never got around to doing anything with it. He was looking to get back the 1700 he paid but no takers. Well I offered him a grand and he said sold. I bought it for the tires for my pickup and the YJ family bar for my 77'. I was then going to part it out. Well, I started looking at my 77's to do list and figured the only way to get it done was to take it off the road, but I can't be Jeepless, I just think I couldn't handle the withdraw of not being able to drive a Jeep. So I hatched the idea of this double build up. Here's the game plan:
First the 77'

This Jeep is getting a mild buildup. It's basic use will be for fireroads and nice day roadtrips. It's Qtrac, 258 with Turbo 400 tranny. I'm leaving the auto setup for my wife to use as well.
Second the 84'

It's got a swapped in 304, 300 tcase, and the crappy T5 tranny. I'll post more pics as I go. This will be built up as a down and dirty Jeep that will be going in the woods.
Now the goal:
Build both at the same time and try, (key word is try) to stay in a budget.
Total I intend to spend when this is completed is under,(are you sitting down)

$4000 to finish both.
I'll state this right now, they are not going to be frame off jobs, like Fatman's
Fatman, all I can say is:
I'll save the frame off job for when I redo a WWII flattie in memory of everyone in my family who have served the country.
Also I am not putting a price on the labor since this is my hobby. Wish me luck and I'll keep ya posted.

bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Here's a couple more pics of the '84. I have to take some for the 77' since most of the pics of what's been done for that Jeep was taken before I got digital cameras

Unread 06-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Couple more

Unread 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

Dinky little front bumper you got there...

How much does that monster weigh?
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
goodolkell
1979 CJ5 

I think the budget limit is about right considering the use of the finished product. I'd like to have a jeep like Fatmans, but I want to drive like Ivan Stewart. (No offense to either of them) Good luck with your build, keep us posted.
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

That looks like a solid deal. We all know you can never have too many Jeeps. And a T-5 behind an AMC V8!?!
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

I hear ya about the front bumper, looks like something to push broke down cars off a bridge. As big as it is, the steel is not very thick on it. As for the T5, yup just a matter of time and it will surely go south. The Jeep started life with a 258. Down the road I'll look to upgrade the tranny, but for now me and the 84' are getting to "know" each other.
Unread 06-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
erik5387
1984 CJ7 

good luck man!! i thought i had a long road ahead with just one CJ....dont think my wife or my wallet could handle two!
erik5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik5387 View Post
good luck man!! i thought i had a long road ahead with just one CJ....dont think my wife or my wallet could handle two!
Oh it won't be easy, and since my wife does the books I was quite shocked when I received approval for the go ahead to get the new one.
Hell, I did not even mention the idea that the milder of the two would be her's until this last weekend.

As for an update started looking over what I need for this puppy and where I stand on the 77'. The 77' had a tranny leak so that was sent off to my wife's cousin's tranny shop, (I get the "family rate"). I just happen to be a pack rat and went through all the receipts from when I bought the 77' for parts and repairs on it to date. Total so far into it over 15yrs. is just $3600 bucks. Not too bad, but when I look at it at all I can say is..WHERE!
Lots of the parts for it are still in boxes so that could be why. So until that gets back from the shop I will move forward on the 84'
Scored a good rust free windsheild frame from a guy locally for $100 bucks and then traded a T150 tranny with him for another YJ family style bar for the 77' so now both can have the kiddies go for rides when done.

Now the bad. Since the windsheild frame is really only rust I started the task of pulling apart to swap in the good frame. Pulled off the dash pad and found a couple pounds of rust between the pad and dash. Got the shop vac out and started to vac up all the rust from the floors. Pulled back the rug and vacuumed out under there as well. Well I know the tub is only got a couple yr. left in it but I was very suprised when I was able to vac out some of the floor and see my driveway under it. Since it's budget time for some patch work. I'll get some pics for you guys when I get a chance.
Also had a question for you guys who have 304's concerning the oil dipstick. I don't have one in the block and my fear is it should be attached to the plug in the oil filler neck. Is this so? Rookie mistake to over look the oil dipstick.
Unread 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Forgot to add that I made my list for a tune up, but since this yr. did not come with 304 I don't know what parts, (plugs,wires, cap, rotor, etc.) I should use. What motor numbers on the 304,(if I can find them) should I go by when I see my parts guy? and one last question. Can any one ID this fuel tank

I'm guessing it's a 21 gal. one but I have never seen one before. As always thanks in advance for your help and comments.
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
balls172
1982 CJ7 

New Paltz huh, I am in Red Hook. Good luck with the Jeeps
Unread 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls172 View Post
New Paltz huh, I am in Red Hook. Good luck with the Jeeps
Yup, Went to college here and when me and my wife were house hunting this was one place we looked since we liked the area. Found a place and the rest is history. Now since your not far away you may be called for help at some time with the Jeeps
Unread 06-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Anyone have ideas on my questions for the tank and 304 tune-up stuff? Also could the dipstick be attached to the cap in the filler tube?
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

my dipstick is on the passenger side about halfway down the engine going into the oil pan. my 304 is out of an 80 cj. i have,had a t4 behind it and it lasted me 2 months and the PO a year. i am also gussing that is atleast a 20 gallon tank. i only have a 15 and my duals fit on either side with a little space to spare. let me know if you need pics of something on the engine. its not pretty but it is all there. and like you i am doing a frame on resto because i want to drive it as i build. actually i need to drive it
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

NHwheelin, if you could post some pics of the dipstick that would be great. Thanks for the tank info too. I have never seen a setup like that. All my other Jeep have had 15gal ones. Did a little work tonight on getting ready to replace windshield. Started getting hardware off. One of the Jeep's PO swapped in a YJ bar at some time. They attached the front bars to the frame using big wood screws!? Then moved to the engine to start getting tune up stuff. While poking around under the hood I notice on the drivers of the block in about the middle on the bottom of the block just above the oil pan a big phillips head bolt or screw in a spot that looks to be where the dipstick should be. I'll get a picture of it. It's funny, I've had Jeeps for about 15yrs. and this is the first one I've had with a V8. It's doesn't help that this Jeep did not come with a V8 and I don't know what yr. or Jeep that this engine was from. It's like it's my first Jeep. Oh well, back to reading about Jeep V8's.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.