double cardan upgrade for CJ5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

double cardan upgrade for CJ5

I just completed my double cardan upgrade for my 83 CJ5. I did this mod due to a pretty severe DS angle in the rear after a 2.5" suspension lift. The stock DS was smooth enough with a 2 deg wedge in the rear leaf and a 2"drop in the transfer case and cross member...but...it was just time to completemthe project.

I had read about the XJ front drive shaft as a source of a double cardan shaft. I got one off eBay pretty cheap and had it shortened at my local axle and driveshaft shop. Total was about $35 for the XJ shaft, and $100 for the shortening.

Note to other CJ5 owners who go down this path...the minimum that this shaft can be adapted is about 13 7/8". This best way for me to get this dimension was to eliminate the tease drop, and install new sting perches that allow for a 1" rearward displacement of the axle. My "machining" consisted of drilling 1" offset holes in the bottom spring plate/ shock bracket. I cut/ground off the stock spring perches, and welded on the new perches with the spacing 1" set back from stock, and the diff turned upward about 15 degrees, directed just lower than C/L to the tease.

Who else has done this on a "5"? Did you do it different?

Thanks...

Rick

I would provide a full report on the test drive, but I discovered a very brittle brake line that cracked when I moved it back from the axle. That's another mini-project.
I

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

I am planning on doing a 2.5" lift on my CJ-5, but was hoping not to have to go through all the drive line work you have done. Kinda got me scared Anyone else having to do this much work for a 2.5" lift on a '5'?

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta of experience comes from bad judgment.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I've got a short wheelbase CJ-5 with a Skyjacker 4" lift.

With the original drive shaft.

I would highly recommend doing the lift and test driving it before you start thinking about doing something that might not need done.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 PM
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

I have a 2.5 SUA lift and my front and rear drive shaft angles are very mild with the original shafts. Not sure why you have such severe angles.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
rbunch4468
1983 CJ5 

I'll post the final DS angles later today. With the original DS, I had vibration initially after the 2.5" lift. I was able to eliminate the vibration with a 2 deg wedge under the stock spring perches, and the 2" t-case drop. I drove it this way for several months without issue.

Last month, the rear U-joint or strap (I'll never know which) failed and I dropped the drive shaft doing 60 on the highway!

So...replace it with a stock rear DS or upgrade? I'm not one for throwing on parts for no reason. This seemed like the most reasonable direction. Like most Jeep projects, it grew somewhat from the original idea, driven by the minimum cut down length of the XJ DS.

But...I now have been able to gain back the lost ground clearance by removing the t-case drop and have eliminated two of the crappy ujoint strap connections with the new setup.

For you "5" owners that responded, what are your rear driveshaft angles? What is your running DS length c/c, and how much spline is left engaged in the rear DS? Are you running straps or u-bolts?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 AM
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have a friend who broke a couple of drive shafts on his 4" lifted SUA CJ5 with a chevy 350 in it. He bought a Tom Woods double cardan shaft and I think it was about 12.75". I set the pinion angle 1 degree below inline with the drive shaft for him and that worked for him. I have not heard about any more broken drive shafts.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 PM
zeppe807
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbunch4468 View Post
I'll post the final DS angles later today. With the original DS, I had vibration initially after the 2.5" lift. I was able to eliminate the vibration with a 2 deg wedge under the stock spring perches, and the 2" t-case drop. I drove it this way for several months without issue.

Last month, the rear U-joint or strap (I'll never know which) failed and I dropped the drive shaft doing 60 on the highway!

So...replace it with a stock rear DS or upgrade? I'm not one for throwing on parts for no reason. This seemed like the most reasonable direction. Like most Jeep projects, it grew somewhat from the original idea, driven by the minimum cut down length of the XJ DS.

But...I now have been able to gain back the lost ground clearance by removing the t-case drop and have eliminated two of the crappy ujoint strap connections with the new setup.

For you "5" owners that responded, what are your rear driveshaft angles? What is your running DS length c/c, and how much spline is left engaged in the rear DS? Are you running straps or u-bolts?
I know this is an old thread, but what the heck...

I had a vibration after doing the 2.5" OME lift (about 3.5" overall), it was really bad when my suspension drooped or if I went over a bump in the road that unloaded the rear springs. The vibration was always there, and not all of the people that road in it noticed it. It is important to note that I have the 256, T177, and Dana 300; which may be longer than others that "don't have a problem." I lowered my transfer case 1.75" and the vibration went away. The angle to the driveline without it dropped was significant, so I ordered a new CV driveline and plan on putting it in this weekend.

Happy Trails,
Joe Zeppe
post #8 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 AM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

A double cardon and a standard (single cardon) DL have two different requirements for angles. A standard DL needs the T case and diff input parallel to each other, while the cardon needs the diff input pointing at the T case output. Front angled shims can sometimes make up the difference but cutting and rewelding the perches is best.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 12:56 AM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I have a SM420/Advance Adaptor/D20 setup running a DC. It only had an inch ot ywo of driveline tube. I recently did a stretch and added about four inches to the OA length of the DL.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 07:44 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a SOA with Wrangler springs on my CJ5...OAL of the Tom Woods DC shaft is about 14.5".
I have a swapped in T5 and D300. Shaft angle is somewhere between 30 and 35 degrees. Pinion on my M20 is aimed right at the D300 output.
Novibes at all, bit I've only had it up to 70 mph so far.

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #11 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

I am getting ready to do the same mod. Well I have all the parts. With the new yoke seated it looks like the OAL of the shaft will be right around 21". i just installed a 4.5 Extreme duty Rubicon Express lift. 360 T-150 Dana 20.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
... bit I've only had it up to 70 mph so far.
ONLY up to 70 MPH. Fast enough in a CJ-5, I'd say.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 PM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten View Post
I am getting ready to do the same mod. Well I have all the parts. With the new yoke seated it looks like the OAL of the shaft will be right around 21". i just installed a 4.5 Extreme duty Rubicon Express lift. 360 T-150 Dana 20.
I did the same with a small stretch. I really like the RE springs, smooth and flexxy.

I had to re-make the tank to accommodate the stretch but was worth it. I gained a whole bunch of flex, IIRC a gain of 4" or so. I stayed spring under but did a u-bolt reverse to be smoother underneath.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.