Door Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Door Leak

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Door Leak

What belongs on this window pillar, i get allot of rain leaking in when i'm driving or setting.

IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/nichboy/1985%20Jeep/Jeep015.jpg[/IMG]

nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
JimmyPharma
1975 CJ5 

nichboy, I have a 1980 CJ7 also, I was able to buy some weatherstripping to put up there and actually all over the windows to make a tighter seal with the door. I am not sure what the policy is with regards to posting links to JC whitney, so hopefully this reply won't be deleted. I went ahead and found the stuff you need and here is the link:
Jeep CJ5 Window & Windshield Weatherstripping - JCWhitney

it is a little bit expensive but it gets the job done really well. You can probably pick it up at any parts store as well.
Jimmy
JimmyPharma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Can you repost that pic? I can't get it to open, and I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue as you. On both windows, I have a space between the front of the upper window and the windshield frame. On the pass., side its about 1/2" at the top, and the drivers side is about an inch. Bestop sent me some collars to use on the doors, and they helped alot, but the drivers side gap was to big for those to help. I thought maybe the whole windshield needed to come down some, but I've loosened the bolts and pulled it down, but it doesn't move enough.
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
JimmyPharma
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
Can you repost that pic? I can't get it to open, and I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue as you. On both windows, I have a space between the front of the upper window and the windshield frame. On the pass., side its about 1/2" at the top, and the drivers side is about an inch. Bestop sent me some collars to use on the doors, and they helped alot, but the drivers side gap was to big for those to help. I thought maybe the whole windshield needed to come down some, but I've loosened the bolts and pulled it down, but it doesn't move enough.
will the weather stripping not work for what you guys are talking about?
JimmyPharma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Chuckles0227
1980 CJ5 

i believe you are missing the front door strikes

i don't know which top you have but heres some for the tiger top

Bestop® Front Door Strike Kit for 76-86 Jeep® CJ-7 with Tigertop™ - Acme Jeep Parts
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

chuckles0227 i think that is what i need, i'll check it out. Let me try and post my pic agian.

Unread 07-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I have been having same problem. IN the last few days put new door seals on my 78 CJ7 and slowed the lead down, still need to do more.

Got very good quality product for a good price from this Jeepforum vendor:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/1...-doors-942591/

The link refers to 87-95, but they have a full line for many models. I am impressed with the quality, Would be helpful to have directions. I had to "unplug" some of the attachment points, but finally got a good and very tight fit.

I hve slowed my leek down a great deal, but think my passenger door is warped out a bit on top right side.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

chuckles0227, just ordered the striker kit hope this helps, thanks for the help.
Unread 07-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
Chuckles0227
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichboy View Post
chuckles0227, just ordered the striker kit hope this helps, thanks for the help.
anytime, they just mount on the edge of the windshield and then the door presses up against it when you close it.

I don't know if the 7's have the same issue as my 5, but make sure your windshield angle is correct other wise the doors wont close all the way.
Unread 07-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I think the weatherstripping will help. Bestop sent me some collars to put on the door pins and with those I was able to get rid of some of the gap. I put one on each door pin and one on the back pin where the upper window attaches into the lower door. That increased the angle, but like I said, I had to place the collar so far down on the pin that the upper window barely attaches to the velcro and creates another gap at that point. I think if the weatherstripping is wide enough, I'll be able to take a few collars out.
I also tried to adjust the angle of the windshield by loosening the two bolts and pulling it back, but it didn't move back any farther.
Unread 07-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Its summer, isnt this a problem you should have to deal with in the fall- winter when it starts getting to cold w/ no hardtop or doors?

Maybe your windshield frame is not tightened all the way down or its warped? This was my problem last winter.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Believe me, when I was in between Jeeps, and I would see people with the top up in the summer, I always wondered why have a Jeep if you have the top on. When I bought my most recent CJ, the top was pretty much destroyed and I worked on it to the point of being able to use it again. I'm just "fine tuning" it right now, and fixing the last of the problems.
The last month, the weather in MO has sucked; I want to drive the thing everyday and have had storms come through which screws that up. I'm just wanting to get it to the point where I can fold it down, but have it with me to keep most of the water out in a downpour.
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Yeah tell me about it man, I live in NE Oklahoma, I know about the raining ugh. I just like its atleast mild hot out this year, and its not like a convection oven while going down the road.

I do like them door strikes, might have to look into some for my jeep come winter.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.