Door hinge dilemma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Door hinge dilemma

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Door hinge dilemma

I have my jeep all painted up nice and now I'm about to paint the doors. I think I should align the doors and mount them and then paint over the hinges for the best life expectancy, right?

Can I paint over the stainless hinges I have now?

If not does anyone have any OEM hinges they want to trade or part with?

CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Stainless is just that, stainless...no need to paint them if you don't want to as they will hold up just fine. If you want/need to paint them, I believe you will have to etch or prime them differently because they are stainless but I am sure a paint expert here on the forum can confirm that.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Don't paint over the stainless steel hinges!!!!! I'm in the process of converting over to stainless steel and would consider trading.
Do you need just the parts that attach to the doors or do you need the Windshield hinges as well. Do you know what brand the SS hinges you have are? Can you post some pictures of the parts you'd consider trading?
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

mvigo;

I would leave them stainless but all I have is the door hinges themselves. My windshield and hood hinges are painted over OEM as well as the lower hinge mount on the body. I'm trying to go with minimal shiny stuff so when I go hunting and park in the back of a field it won't be as noticeable. Nice looking ride in your avatar also!

PROJECT 23;

I'm not sure what brand they are, they dont seem reall heavy to me but they are definately S.S. not plated. I think they are in decent shape. I'll P.M. you a picture late tonite if you are interested.

Thanks guys!
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

?
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Sorry, I had to send these from my phone. These are what I have and I want to replace these with stock or paint them. It seems a shame to paint them since most people want to put theese on to dress their jeeps up.
forumrunner_20130211_213034.jpg   forumrunner_20130211_213051.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

These didn't happen to come off a YJ? I'm asking because it looks like two of the hinges have holes for mirrors.
I will have to pass as I run stock CJ mirrors and it would look goofy having extra holes in the hinges.
I will sell my OEM hinges outright though.....
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

They certainly look like SS hinges for a YJ with the mirror mounting holes in them, you can still use them on a CJ however.

If you are wanting to apply primer and paint to stainless steel, I would get them sandblasted first and then cleaned with Acetone to remove all the residues and oil that may be on the surface.

I do that to stainless all the time for years. Battery trays, license plate holders, tire stops and other small parts on my Jeep are stainless steel but all have been sandblasted and powder coated over. You need a slightly rough surface in order for paint or powder to stick too.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.