Donís low budget, low talent, little time build Ė 83 CJ5 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Donís low budget, low talent, little time build Ė 83 CJ5

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #76
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Splinter,

I've enjoyed your thread, and I can relate to your frustrations.

I'm curious why you needed a new cam? Was it damaged? Or, do you feel the taller cam caused the problem? Were the cam, springs, and pushrods sold as a kit, or bought separately? Did your assembler check the pre-load on the push-rods? How about valve spring pressures and heights?

Sorry for all the questions. But as you may know, I just finished a lengthy 360 rebuild, my first, and I'm holding my breath that it doesn't have a similar failure.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #77
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Matt, my block was polished up by one machine shop, the heads were completely overhauled by another with new guides,valves and springs sized for the 270 comp. The assembly was done by a certified mechanic who knows AMC's and and has done many for the local Jeep Club. The hyd. lifters were purchased at a different outlet than the cam. I used old pushrods. Summit Racing does not think that high RPM was the broblem. They talked about pre-load however I told them it was an AMC and there was no valve adjustment. They said you still could tell by tightening down the bracket holding the rockers until you could not twist the pushrod and then see how much more the bracket will tighten down. I don't know about spring pressures and heights. I hope my mechanic will know how to check these things.
Splinter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #78
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The reason I ask is because I struggled to find the right springs and pushrods, after my block and heads were machined. The springs that came with my Lunati cam kit were advertised to fit the AMC 360, but weren't even close. AMC heads have a raised spring seat, requiring a spring with an inside diameter of 1-3/8". The Lunati springs had an ID of 1-1/2", and they fit too loosely over the seat. I ended up finding a set of Comp Cams springs with the correct ID, and with the correct spring pressures and heights.

The pushrods were another matter. Since my block and heads were decked, the original pushrods were too long, causing too much pre-load. Finding the correct length pushrods proved to be more difficult than it should have been, due to the fact that the advertised length and the actual length were two different values on several sets that I bought.

I can look up the part numbers of the valve-train components, and cam, that I used, if needed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #79
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The reason I ask is because I struggled to find the right springs and pushrods, after my block and heads were machined. The springs that came with my Lunati cam kit were advertised to fit the AMC 360, but weren't even close. AMC heads have a raised spring seat, requiring a spring with an inside diameter of 1-3/8". The Lunati springs had an ID of 1-1/2", and they fit too loosely over the seat. I ended up finding a set of Comp Cams springs with the correct ID, and with the correct spring pressures and heights.

The pushrods were another matter. Since my block and heads were decked, the original pushrods were too long, causing too much pre-load. Finding the correct length pushrods proved to be more difficult than it should have been, due to the fact that the advertised length and the actual length were two different values on several sets that I bought.

I can look up the part numbers of the valve-train components, and cam, that I used, if needed.

Matt
Wow that sounds complicated. A crate engine is looking better all the time.
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #80
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well finally got my parts in and ready to give it another try. My mechanic friend is Elk hunting so will wait for him to get back. I twisted off my rear drive-shaft so will have to replace the universal joint. A lot of power for a little CJ5.

I used Indian head shellac to glue on the tappet cover gaskets. May be overkill.

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #81
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I am back home after a Winter in Yuma. I brought back a new gastank, skid plate and some used 5 point harness from a Mexican flea market.

I took off the water pump holding housing and inserted a Heli coil in the stripped hole. I was very nervous when cutting the 1/2 inch thread in to the block. A little worried about breaking off the tap.

I had been running around town with the rad suspended off the hoses. I didn't want to replace the grill until the new cam proved out. Mistake. I took her down to the creek and climbed up a steep hill. I took another rear universal out and dinged up the rad. I bought a new rad as I wanted all of the passes with a 360. My wife said get those carburetors or whatever they are off the front driveway. LOL

Now I have a problem. I can't get a new gasket in Canada and was thinking about using The Right Stuff by Permatex. I don't know whether to scrap the old gasket off, or just add the sealer to the damaged portion or the gasket. help

My niece still waiting for a ride. LOL

+
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #82
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I am finally getting to update my build. I picked up a new gas tank and skid plate and am ready to install them.

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #83
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I was going to do new SS pipe bumpers for the back however I put the old solid SS bar bumpers back on for now.

With the 360 I was twisting off rear drive shafts and universal joints so I built a anti axle wrap bracket.

I also acquired a double cardin drive shaft and had it cut down.

The five point harnesses look OK to me.

Unread 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #84
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Nice to see you are back at this. Sometimes a hobby becomes work and after a good long break becomes fun again, as you already know
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #85
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Nice to see you are back at this. Sometimes a hobby becomes work and after a good long break becomes fun again, as you already know
Thanks ScroungerLee. It sure fells good to see how my CJ turns heads and gets positive comments. It is a little loud for some people though.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #86
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Thanks ScroungerLee. It sure fells good to see how my CJ turns heads and gets positive comments. It is a little loud for some people though.
You're my Role Model, Don! Welcome back, and your work looks great.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #87
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

My wife putting on the fine tune! LOL

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #88
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Now we KNOW it's gonna run good!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #89
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I am still working on my build and driving it when I get a chance. Today I was climbing a steep hill down by the creek and spun out. I came down backwards pretty quick and almost rolled it. I was balancing on two wheels for what seemed like minutes before it settled back down. Good thing there was 220 lbs. sitting on the uphill side. I hit the hill again with my foot really into it. I was bouncing around like crazy and even broke off my anti axle wrap bar. But I did make it. I found later at home that I did not have front wheel drive. The picture shows the mess my Dana 30 is in. Do you think I drive my CJ too hard???

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.