Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #61
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

looks good nice too see you didnt go with with the cookie cutter OD green or desert tan (AHEM SKIPPER).

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #62
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Set up to install the seal

Found some SS and dressing washers as Keith sugested

The ends of the seal is much thicker. This may be a problem.

The seal bulges in the centre.

What the heck where these four holes in the cowl sill for??

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #63
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I finally got my CJ on the road. I got about 100 miles our of the new rebuild and things went South.

I broke the rings in pretty hard as I had been told was good. Probably too hard as I developed a miss. Found that #3 hole had little compression. (30 lbs.). Took the rocker cover off and found one pushrod on 3 had really gone south.

When I took the intake manifold off I found the pushrod and one lifter in the valley of the intake.

The one lifter was hammered right through and the push-rod bent badly. The bearing on 3 seems not too bad.

I am really frustrated and feel strongly about quitting the project and parting the jeep out. An alternative is to stick in a new cam and see if it will run. I have been told I should rip the engine apart to clean any debris from the smashed lifter out. That's a lot of work and I am tired. Really don't know if I have a problem with the valves becoming spring bound either. What the heck to do????
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #64
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Don, I think everybody gets a case of the "Jeep Azz" from time to time. In my way of thinking, it's pretty normal to get rid of something that lets you down. I can't number the times I almost sold our Jeeps just to get the shop room back. But the Jeep is in there for a purpose. I WANT to drive it. I HAVE to fix it to do that. And NOBODY will have one better when I am done! There is NO RULE that says you have to have it done by such and such a time. What is your goal? You have done a fine job of building. Many of us have learned steps/processes that you have demonstrated. Your build thread is not a waste of time, and we enjoy watching you work. You are NEVER too old to learn, so I suggest you suck it up, take a Geritol, and get some rest. Then get back out there and fix it! You can bet we are ALL pulling for you.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #65
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

Yea man don't give up on it now.
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #66
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Don, I think everybody gets a case of the "Jeep Azz" from time to time. In my way of thinking, it's pretty normal to get rid of something that lets you down. I can't number the times I almost sold our Jeeps just to get the shop room back. But the Jeep is in there for a purpose. I WANT to drive it. I HAVE to fix it to do that. And NOBODY will have one better when I am done! There is NO RULE that says you have to have it done by such and such a time. What is your goal? You have done a fine job of building. Many of us have learned steps/processes that you have demonstrated. Your build thread is not a waste of time, and we enjoy watching you work. You are NEVER too old to learn, so I suggest you suck it up, take a Geritol, and get some rest. Then get back out there and fix it! You can bet we are ALL pulling for you.
Thanks Scott. Your little Pep Talk made made me think about my situation in a whole different light. I "don't" have to have it fixed by tomorrow and I've come too far to throw in the towel. Besides I really love my CJ. When I tell people that I am retired and they ask what the heck I do with my time, I answer that I have a CJ. LOL
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #67
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
..I am really frustrated and feel strongly about quitting the project and parting the jeep out..
Hang in there. You've put in a ton of hours on this, so don't quit now. Rest on it for a while. No need to get her back on the road right away. You've waited this long, so you can easily see this through.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #68
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks Scott. Your little Pep Talk made made me think about my situation in a whole different light. I "don't" have to have it fixed by tomorrow and I've come too far to throw in the towel. Besides I really love my CJ. When I tell people that I am retired and they ask what the heck I do with my time, I answer that I have a CJ. LOL
Hey... it's your hobby. You do it because it's something you enjoy. You don't stop fishing because your line breaks. You figure out what you did wrong, and you solve it. I always choose to look at our CJs as a challenge. I like challenges! I like solving problems, and I have a small level of self-pride in knowing I figured it out and made it work. A great example for life, and your CJ is the working model! Every disappointment is counter-acted with a high-point. But only if you make it so.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #69
bigirons79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Splinter,
I've just finished reading your build and I have been inspired. I have had my CJ for over 4 years and have lost the motivation to keep building a few times, due to engine problems and wandering issues. For the last year it sat in my yard doing nothing, but getting rusty and killing my grass. I put it for sale on Craigslist and only until I had a serious buyer, did I start thinking, "Maybe this is a mistake". I took it off Craigslist and didn't sell it. I have recently rekindled my love for that hatefull girl(MY CJ) and she is all I think about now, besides my girlfriend. I have taken care of the engine issues and the wandering problems. Now I can actually drive it without the fear of crashing or breaking down and it thrills me. Take a break, not too long we all hope, and jump back on it.
FOR MORE PICTURES, CHECK OUT MY PHOTOBUCKET
http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af118/bigirons79cj5/
bigirons79CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #70
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Thank you all for your inspiration. I will be talking to Sunmmit Racing today to see what I need to patch up the 360. I think it will be a cam in range with the springs sized for the 270 Comp, new lifters, pushrods gaskets. Too bad I didn't go with a crate motor to start.
Best Regards
Don
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #71
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thank you all for your inspiration. I will be talking to Sunmmit Racing today to see what I need to patch up the 360. I think it will be a cam in range with the springs sized for the 270 Comp, new lifters, pushrods gaskets. Too bad I didn't go with a crate motor to start.
Best Regards
Don
Hindsight is 20/20. Don't let it get you down, and quit second-guessing yourself. You probably know more about goals than most of us. This one is attainable.

For inspriation, read Matt's thread World's Ugliest 360!

WAY TO GO CANADA!!!!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Don't let it get you down, and quit second-guessing yourself. You probably know more about goals than most of us. This one is attainable.

For inspriation, read Matt's thread World's Ugliest 360!

WAY TO GO CANADA!!!!!
Thanks Scott
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #73
justanotherjpr

Don't give up yet!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #74
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

So I have ordered a new cam, lifters and push-rods from Summit. Gonna take a leap of faith
that everything else is ok. Talked to Summit Racing and they think that the lifters on #3 and others that showed excessive wear were not turning. They said to watch the push rods during break in and if they are not turning, shut the break in down and determine why the push-rods are not turning. I also tried to get some warranty out of Comp but they said that since the order was over one year, all they could do was give me a good price on a new cam.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Atta Boy, Don!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.