Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #46
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

I've been a welder/fitter/fabricator, owned my own shop several times, BTJ pipefitter/welder and working structure repair/fab, equipment repair, am proficient(or at least "passable") in stick, tig, mig/dual/inner, sub arc and can even run a mean a$$ spotwelder for all of my adult life and I have NEVER come across anything as cool as your working home made plug in welder!
Jeephammer comes close with his alternator conversion but I think this beats it.

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #47
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace View Post
I've been a welder/fitter/fabricator, owned my own shop several times, BTJ pipefitter/welder and working structure repair/fab, equipment repair, am proficient(or at least "passable") in stick, tig, mig/dual/inner, sub arc and can even run a mean a$$ spotwelder for all of my adult life and I have NEVER come across anything as cool as your working home made plug in welder!
Jeephammer comes close with his alternator conversion but I think this beats it.
Thank you for that comment. I got quite a kick out of it. You should see my Rotary Phase Converters. I build and sell them to get Jeep money. lol
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #48
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I broke off the end of the dip stick pipe while bending it to fit around the headers so I had to silver solder it together. The little bracket I had made years ago to weld extensions onto drill bits worked perfectly to align the two pieces.

I had a heck of a time trying to tighten my headers until I found this little old box end wrench. It is the perfect tool for headers. The 3/8 end fits the centre bolts that are 3/8 NC and the 7/16 end fits the outer flanges that are 5/16 NC.

Unread 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You're not supposed to create extra work Don!? I have several of those angled box wrenches. Good to have them when you need them!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #50
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I had ordered a rebuild kit for my 2100 a few years ago. Everything looks good except the accelerator pump diaphragm. It had a shaft on it so I just cut it off and epoxied on a few washers. It's external from the carb so should be ok.

Unread 05-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #51
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

wow that welder is cool im in the process of making one by stringing a couple of microwave transformers together jeep is lookin good to i love the sound of a CJ5 with a 360 ;p
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #52
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I couldn't resist taking the Jeep for a quick run down to the creek and ran out of gas. Darn that thing burns it up. No gauge hooked up yet. The hill behind the CJ is quite steep and Cj went up it like a mountain goat lol.

Unread 06-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #53
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Cleaned out the seam on cowl with my trusty Dremel and filled the gap with a two component seam sealer. I think this is a permanent fix.

Unread 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #54
1983 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about the damage to the house, at least insurance will take care of it.

The seats looks fantastic and I bet they are comfortable!
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #55
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep is coming along nicely! I really enjoy your watching your resourcefulness and ingenuity.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

[quote=Louie4;13714274]The jeep is coming along nicely! I really enjoy your watching your resourcefulness and ingenuity.[/QUOTE

Thanks. I enjoy doing things I can myself in order to beat the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage to the house, at least insurance will take care of it.

The seats looks fantastic and I bet they are comfortable!
Ya the insurance cost was close to $40,000 for siding, roof, car and what they call contents. (fence, garden ornaments etc.) Our little town sure got a facelift. lol
The seats worked out great. Especially with the notch.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #57
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I mounted the starter solenoid below the battery tray. I also mounted two terminal strips from a splitter box for easy access to a ground or hot wire. I have a dedicated ground for the starter and frame. The alternator and rear wiring will get one too. Can you imagine dropping a wrench across the top of those terminal blocks!! lol

Unread 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #58
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I got her back from the paint shop today. Used a one stage plastic paint the same as they paint big rigs with. I was going to keep it black but they said my body work was not good enough and there would be a lot showing. So I went with Omaha Orange, a 2012 Jeep color. I like it a lot.

I have a hrd time keeping the neighborhood kids out of it. They love it too. lol

Now I am going to tackle the cowl seal. In a search I found some good information from Keith460. I will see if I can successfully apply his method.
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #59
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Sweet Don. The color looks very good! I am close to the cowl seal install too, and I also have plans to use Keith's instructions. You go first!! Post pics.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #60
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter
I mounted the starter solenoid below the battery tray. I also mounted two terminal strips from a splitter box for easy access to a ground or hot wire. I have a dedicated ground for the starter and frame. The alternator and rear wiring will get one too. Can you imagine dropping a wrench across the top of those terminal blocks!! lol
Looks good Don......as for the wrench dropping......you know those things happen!

A good reason to maybe enclose those terminal bars inside a cheap project box from radio shack
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.