Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Don’s low budget, low talent, little time build – 83 CJ5

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #31
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Very nice work on the seat install! Sorry for your hail damage too.
Thanks Jim. Not even slightly comparable to your quality of work but it will get me running down the road hopefully soon.

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Good Grief, Don!! The hail damage is heartbreaking. I've never seen anything like it. Good luck on the house repairs. The Jeep repairs are coming along nicely. Are you doing the house, too, or subbed it out?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #33
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Good Grief, Don!! The hail damage is heartbreaking. I've never seen anything like it. Good luck on the house repairs. The Jeep repairs are coming along nicely. Are you doing the house, too, or subbed it out?
No Scott it was a insurance claim and contractors did the work. The estimated estimate of siding damage for the average house for siding and contents (outside stuff) was $35,000. Then the roof added another $8,000. If you had a car or truck in the driveway that was around $8,000 per vehicle. There are several companies that came to town from all over to do the paint-less dent removal. They are storm chases for hail. LOL They do excellent work and you still have factory paint. The odd person wants a complete re paint and gets it. They have the idea that the hail drives the clear coat into the paint but they say that isn't true.
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #34
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Yo... Don! You out there? How's the house repair coming? Forget the house, what about the Jeep!?

Was just thinking about you Buddy.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #35
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Yo... Don! You out there? How's the house repair coming? Forget the house, what about the Jeep!?

Was just thinking about you Buddy.
Hey thanks for thinking about me buddy. (hope that isn't being presumptuous)
I am wintering in Yuma and had to leave the Cj behind. Maybe I can finish it next year and bring it down. On second thought I don't know if that will work. This year I tried to bring a car down to leave here and I got a strict border crossing guard who turned me around and made me take the car back home. I had initially said that I was not leaving anything in USA then said I was planning to leave my car behind. He said I changed my story and the car was not allowed across. I replied that I would bring it back as I had done for the last 3 years, but he said "you changed your story" Get that car back to Canada You don't argue or try to reason with the border guards. They really do have a lot of power.
really enjoying you restore. keeps me in the grove lol
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #36
hutch1200
1979 CJ7 

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
The first junk yard 360 that I dropped in had one bad cylinder so it had to come out. Also to install the proper flywheel.

Meanwhile I had picked up a second 360 which I stripped down and had a machine shop check over. It had already been bored 30 over so they only honed the cylinders and pushed in new cam bearings. They rebuilt the heads and put in new springs to match the comp 270h cam I had chosen. (maybe a mistake).

My son helping set the motor on the mounts.

No, No, No...from what I gather, this will be the perfect cam for your use. I went w/the 292, Edelbrock Air gap intake and pacestetter in frame headers.
You should make @least 300hp. Double what ya had!

"Here is a shot of the other mounts. Only one is original. The front left is an is a vibration isolation mount from a compressor in conjunction with a hockey puck. Whatever works LOL." Canucks and their HOCKEY! What are ya running for oil 10W-Maple! (I keed, I keed)

Last edited by hutch1200; 11-24-2011 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Hockey puck!
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #37
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I'm back from wintering in Yuma and I am ready to go on the Jeep. I picked up some one piece axles and a cowl seal while down there. I should have brought back a window frame as mine is bent from the Jeep being over on it's side. However I have one on order. It hasn't even hit our shore yet and costs $165. I didn't think that was too bad.(China) I also bought a new radiator locally for $360. It is a three pass and I hope it will be adequate for the 360. I am starting on the body work. It isn't a show piece so don't laugh at my work. LOL

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #39
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I did a little work on my exhaust today. I didn't like the look of the flanges and the associated clamps on the muffler so I cut them off and welded in a piece of 3 inch SS pipe. My son and his girl friend who are B- pressure welders with SS tig tickets were not available so I used my homemade stick welder with ArcTec Unicrom rods. Excellent choice for light material.

This is an idea of how it will look.

Unread 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

HEY DON!!! Welcome back. What have you been doing? Laying around? Getting fat all winter? What is your homemade welder? Questions, questions...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #41
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
HEY DON!!! Welcome back. What have you been doing? Laying around? Getting fat all winter? What is your homemade welder? Questions, questions...
Hey Scott. Good to hear from you. Spent the winter in Yuma away from all the snow. Now to get the Jeep done. Here are a few pictures of the welder I built when I was an apprentice electrician. I wanted a welder so bad but couldn't afford one so I made my own. I found a transformer from a drying oven and did some re-wiring. I needed a method to control the heat and my father told me that I either needed to put resistance into the output circuit or to choke it down with a coil. So I wound some #4 wire around a pipe. Every few turns I bared the wire and brought out a tap which I made from flattened copper pipe. I also inserted a steel rod into the pipe which would increase or decrease the amperage as the rod was drawn in or out. The coil acts as a reactor and stabilizes the arc. It works much better than your run of the mill buzz box. I inserted a temperature probe on the core of the transformer and wired it to a fan to control the temperature. ( the fan has never come on LOL) The only problem is that the open circuit voltage is only 45 volts. Difficult to burn 7018 but ARC-TEC 222 runs like a wonder.

Unread 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #42
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, way cool about the welder!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #43
joeinme
1979 CJ5 

That welder is impressive! Good job on the jeep as well.
joeinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #44
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Dang, Don. That is just too cool! I have always doubted the "low talent" comment in your thread title. Now get busy!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #45
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Well I got the headers bolted on an the sound surprised me. A little louder than I would have liked. But I'm old so that says it all. lol It sounds awesome at idle with the 270 cam. I cut the header flange to separate the ports as I had heard that helps the warping issue. I threw on some after market pedals to dress it up a bit. Now for some body work.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.