Donís low budget, low talent, little time build Ė 83 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Donís low budget, low talent, little time build Ė 83 CJ5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Donís low budget, low talent, little time build Ė 83 CJ5

Well after lurking around this forum for a few years I thought I would post my build however unremarkable as it is. I envy you who have the tools, skills, and dollars to do a proper job, and there are so many of you.
In 2004 my nephew called me up asking if I was interested in a jeep project. He had a 83 CJ5 that needed work but he had too many projects on the go and was currently working on a 28 chev restoral. I jumped at the chance and he delivered to me a 83 CJ 5 along with a scrap yard 360 on a pallet for $1700. The jeep had been put over on itís side and was hydro locked when they tried to start it. Consequently they broke some critical parts. This jeep had gone through a partial restoration years ago. I am sure it was not frame off as most of the body mount brackets were collapsed. The PO from my nephew had patched the frame, did a SOA, welded in checker pate for floorboards , patched in some corner panels and painted it. The whole tub was bondo but it was holding out quite well. Before tipping it over my nephew had replaced all of the bakes, drums, rotors , bushings and clutch. There were one year old tires and rims on it. I started with a low budget and quite a lot of interference from my wife. LOL (whatís new). I put the junk yard motor in with the 304 flywheel (wrong) and did my best to rebuild the body mount brackets with scrap iron and a homemade welder.
As it turned out the motor had a dead cylinder, but I knew it had to come back out anyway because of the wrong flywheel. I then got sick and my project was put on hold. Seven years later I am in reasonably good health and retired so I am resurrecting this project. This is the way it looks now.
As stated before, I want to drive this CJ so I am not worthy of being in the same class as the builds in this forum. Lots of low talent fixes here to get me on the road. No flames please. LOL

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Sounds alot like my project I started 11 years ago. I finally got back at it this summer, and am waiting on the papers to make it legal now.
Keep at it, and plug away little by little. Eventually you'll get it done.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Let's do it! I'm starting one too! Good luck, this site is a great resource.

Vandy
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Don- I love the title!! I'm in on this one. How do you like the Mastercraft tool box??

Scott

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Don- I love the title!! I'm in on this one. How do you like the Mastercraft tool box??

Scott
Hey Scott, I have been following Clay's build. Quite impressive to say the least. The tool box works well for me however does not have the bearing equipped drawers. Some of the heavy tool drawers are a bit hard to pull out. My son has the top shelf stuff and often kids me but he doesn't live on a fixed income. LOL
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I like the crate on your shelf marked 'jeep parts". We must all have at least one of those.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
1983 CJ7 

Nice project, it looks like it will be pretty easy to get back on the road
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
I like the crate on your shelf marked 'jeep parts". We must all have at least one of those.
LOL! You can always tell the guys who have style... a plastic crate (mine is cardboard) and a reclining creeper!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
eddy2324
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i am with ya splinter. got a build of my own going on now too. i just keep plugging away. some day my friend, some day!
eddy2324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Here is what the body bushig brackets looked like.

I reinforced the tub with plate and made some new mounts. The PO had previously welded checker plate in for a floorboard patch.

Looks like the PO patched the frame here.

Unread 09-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

The first junk yard 360 that I dropped in had one bad cylinder so it had to come out. Also to install the proper flywheel.

Meanwhile I had picked up a second 360 which I stripped down and had a machine shop check over. It had already been bored 30 over so they only honed the cylinders and pushed in new cam bearings. They rebuilt the heads and put in new springs to match the comp 270h cam I had chosen. (maybe a mistake).

My son helping set the motor on the mounts.

Unread 09-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Ready for the cam break in. I am letting my friend Pete do the first start up as he was the one who assembled the motor for me.

Pete got the new rebuild started quickly and made sure the timing was correct. He always has a lucky cigarette in his mouth when he does a cam break in. I had royal purple break in oil in the motor and lots of lube on the cam lobes. You can certainly tell that there's a taller cam in the motor. Break in went well.

Unread 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I am trying to determine if I have a wide trac or NT. all 83 CJ's are supposed
to be WT but my measurement of 45 inches to the back of the brake plate does not support this

The front shock bracket is welded to the axle tube however this CJ has undergone a SOA by PO.

Unread 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Just found your thread Splinter. I always like seeing a bare cast iron engine on a stand. One of my favorite things in life.

I'm not sure when it was started but my 85 has the front shock mounts welded to the axle tube. Good place for them in my thinking. Enjoy the work.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Hey Splinter, I need to patch up the underside of my tub over the body mounts. It looks like you did a pretty good job. I see some bolts and some welds. Do any of the bolts go through to the floor or are those just lag bolts that went through the underside to hold the plate up until it was welded. If they did go through, I would like to see some pics if it is not too much trouble. Still trying to figure out how I am going to do mine. Your build is looking great so far!

Thanks,

Tom
jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.