Dome/Courtesy/Under Dash Lights. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dome/Courtesy/Under Dash Lights.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes A relay would work fine. Run constant power to the relay and use the ground on the headlight switch to turn the relay off and on . Run power for the courtesy lamp function through the switched part of the relay.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

I have one on the roll bar...One on the dash lip...2 red courtesy lights on a switch up under the dash.
000_0013.jpg  
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #33
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

^^ looks like a license plate light from a trailer or something...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #34
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

That's exactly what it is.
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
They were standard on the Laredo and Renegade package or part of the Convenience Group option.

Not hard to hook up, there should be a couple of leads under the dash that ALL CJ's in the 80's have. One orange colored wire for power with a black colored connector and a black 'ground' wire coming off the Headlight Switch. The black wire will connect to the courtesy lights blue wires.

Hi, I was wondering if you could HELKP me and tell me specifically how to wire the courtesy lights? (1895 CJ7-258)

I have had the OEM lights for a very long time but removed them years ago because someone had previously clipped the wires. They work and look great but are cut. I want to connect them exactly the way they were intended from factory; which is to the headlight light switch and the inside dome connection. (when light knob locks all the way to the left)

What I have, are both lights with each having a solid BLUE wire coming out of the light along with a solid BROWN wire. On one light, the solid BROWN has a Packard 56 type terminal that converts into a BROWN/BLUE STRIPE wire at that terminal. That BROWN/BLUE STRIPE wire is cut about 4" from the terminal that joins them. The blue wire from this same light has a bullet type rubber terminal which continues BLUE from that terminal. That plug of that terminal at rubber boot from BLUE wire is BLACK. This is the one light and on the BLUE side of wire.

The other light simply has a solid BLUE and a solid BROWN wire. It is about 12" long and then it is cut as well.

Can you help me figure this out? If you have the ORIGINAL lengths of each light wire, maybe I can rewire the entire set-up with new wires. Again, I would like to have them exactly the way they were made from factory.

Regards
cj-courtesy-lamps2.jpg  
258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.