Does this seem wierd - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Does this seem wierd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4x4NV - welcome to the board. Let me tell you something about oil so you don't make a simular mistake in the future. Oil needs to be changed even if you don't use your vehicle. In my case, I only use my motor home to the tune of about 1000 mile per year. But, I still change the oil about every 6 months. Reason? The oil can become very acidic and cause the lower end bearings to erode and pit. So even if you let your Jeep sit, and don't drive it much, change the oil. When I was overseas for a year in the service, the first thing I did when I got home was change the oil and filter.

One other thing. Just because your lifters are making a little noise doesn't mean you need to replace/rebuild the engine. Does it smoke? Does it have bad compression? Does it run rough? Does it have reduced power? Does it use a lot of oil? You don't mention anything like this so if it's just making a little lifter noise don't worry about it. You could try adding a quart of automatic tranny fluid about a week before your next oil change, then change the oil and use a little higher viscosity oil. This may quiet them down. Mine's been making noise for a while now but still performs like a billy goat. HTH

Luck

Unread 03-18-2003, 08:59 PM   #17
barefoot

thanks for the advise on the oil problem!! as far as my lifters go, they were making a lot of noise and i wasnt sure what to do so i had them checked out. the people told me that they had gone bad. on top of that, when the oil filter fell off and i lost all my oil (from what i am told) that caused my oil pressure inside my Jeep to be bad, which eventually, a few weeks ago, caused my lifters to stop. so i know that i have to replace my engine and i was just trying to figure out what the best way to fix my Jeep was without have to spend a hella lot of money, cause i dont have all that much of it.

[B]92 Dodge Stealth R/T [URL="http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=395458"]AWD[/URL]/TT (TD05) converted[/B] ( [URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sixsixfour/Richard/AWD/timeslips.jpg][I]11.894 @ 120.56 - 18 psi[/I][/url] -> [url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sixsixfour/Richard/AWD/?action=view&current=CIMG7962.flv] Video [/url] )

Last edited by barefoot; 03-21-2003 at 01:48 PM..
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #18
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you know that you can replace the lifters without replacing the engine? Take your Jeep to a different mechanic and ask for a complete comprehensive engine diagnosis including a compression check. You may just need new lifters. You may need just a valve job with new lifters. Both are far less expensive than a new engine.
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #19
barefoot

So far i have gone to two differnet mechanics both specializing in older model Jeeps's, and they said the same thing. my lifters have gone bad becuase my engine can no longer hold the correct oil pressure, and i could replace my lifters but they will go bad again in a few months, so i should just go ahead and buy a new engine now.

[B]92 Dodge Stealth R/T [URL="http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=395458"]AWD[/URL]/TT (TD05) converted[/B] ( [URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sixsixfour/Richard/AWD/timeslips.jpg][I]11.894 @ 120.56 - 18 psi[/I][/url] -> [url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sixsixfour/Richard/AWD/?action=view&current=CIMG7962.flv] Video [/url] )
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #20
CJeepFreak84

lifters

Quote:
Originally posted by |4x4 NV|
So far i have gone to two differnet mechanics both specializing in older model Jeeps's, and they said the same thing. my lifters have gone bad becuase my engine can no longer hold the correct oil pressure, and i could replace my lifters but they will go bad again in a few months, so i should just go ahead and buy a new engine now.
#1 maybe it wasn't just the lifters that went... might have been the rings or such.. running without oil and such... maybe the mechanic is telling you the big problem with it but figuring there's probably internal damage to bearing and all without tearing the whole block apart...

#2 Jeeps are very stable hard to kill beasts... but as with all VEHICLES [see it's a universal term] they need to be taken care of as was said before. but inaddition to the list of normal costs older jeeps have many unique problems like frame rot and such so they can be quite costly (i'm currently stripping mine down and fixing mine up as we speak) and it's possible that it might not be right for you're first "car". a CJ is an endangered jeep really... i hate to see them live out there life stumbling along.... if you aren't into the cost of fixing it maybe a jeep isn't right for you.. i'm sure most of us CJfans will tell you our CJ's break our banks 9 out of 10 times... but we do it any way... because we're hooked on'em

#3 i just have to put it in for good measure.. technically jeep did make cars... willys made many car moddels as did amc !!!!!
CJeepFreak84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 12:00 AM   #21
scottahicks

GET IT! GOT IT!! YOU BETTER OR I'M COMIN OVER THERE!!!!!

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President

Last edited by scottahicks; 03-19-2003 at 12:03 AM..
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:56 AM   #22
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

Just to ask, cause nobody has asked it yet. What oil pressure is it running at now, and what did it run at before the filter fell off.

Also please, STOP CALLING IT A CAR.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 07:19 AM   #23
cjryder

4x4NV, do yourself a favor, and get three thumbtacks. Now get some tape and secure the thumbtacks point up to your keyboard keys C, A and R. If you are still unable to refrain from using these keys, the tacks will serve as a behavior modifying stimulus.
I think you would prefer this to the punishment that this forum would dish out if you continue to call our beloved Jeeps cars.
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #24
CJeepFreak84

Quote:
Originally posted by scottahicks

GET IT! GOT IT!! YOU BETTER OR I'M COMIN OVER THERE!!!!!
o man u had nothing better to post up than that graffic? i hate that graffic man... it just screams "well here at chysler we realize we are the stupidest people alive for trying to change the jeep in the first place... lets try and fix our mistake."

^---that's where it's at!
CJeepFreak84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #25
scottahicks

ok I feel a debate coming on,,,,,,, what is the first thing that every jeeper does when he gets his jeep???????? MODIFYING IT! the thing is it dosent matter what chrysler has changed since the AMC days it just means that there are more options outthere for jeepers. dont get me wrong I love my cj5 but hell I would loveto have coil suspension and a ton of other parts that ar on the newer jeeps. you can tell me that the amc years were the best jeeps because in their stock form they werent tell me that the rubicon in its stock setup is less capable than a stock cj5 you would be stupid if you did hell look at the axels we have to deal with. if amc were still around belive me the jeep would no be the same as the old amc years,, its evoloution good or bad yeah chrysler may have done something that you personally dont like but belive it or not they dont care they do the best they can and still make a nice proffit if you want something pother than what they sell then you have to change it just like we all do. if any jeep was perfect no one would ever modify them heck at least the logo the have looks more like the amc and willies lines than the chrysler BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH!!!

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
Unread 03-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #26
rustyCJ

you need to ask your mechanics why the oil pressure is screwed up. is the pump just bad from running it dry or what? ask them how to fix the oil pressure problem. if they still say replace the engine do not buy a crate engine. the 258 is a very forgiving engine and you can find them dirt cheap everywhere. you can pick up a 258 complete from carb to pan here for around $300. just dont ask for a jeep 258. the word "jeep" automatically increases the price on something. i have a 258 out of an 81 or 82 amc eagle in my '79.

As for calling it a CAR, call it whatever the hell you want, its YOURS. when these guys telling you not to call it a car buy you a jeep they can tell you what to call it, but not until then.

and yes willys made "2WD" cars! i have a calendar of old willys and they made a number or 2wd cars.
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #27
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it doesn't say "Jeep" and its not 4WD...I don't call it a Jeep. Thats a car. Even the 2WD Jeeps are useless in my opinon...its got to be 4WD.
One more thing: STOP CALLING IT A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:36 PM   #28
scottahicks

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyCJ
and yes willys made "2WD" cars! i have a calendar of old willys and they made a number or 2wd cars.
Hmmmm last time I checked AMC and Chrysler made cars too but mabey I'm wrong hmmm... yeah and by the way on my insurance policy under body style where it normaly would say sedan, wagon, suv, p/u/ truck etc..... guess what it dosent say CAR hell it dosent even say SUV it says JEEP!!!!!! heck iwould be happey if the kid would say my CJ or even Truck because IT JUST ISN'T A CAR DANGIT!!!!!! i know this is all stupid and petty but heck after all this is the JEEP FORUM NOT THE CAR FORUM!!!!!!

Unread 03-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #29
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

just buy the whole CAR, sell it to some soccer mom, and use the money to rebuild your own engine.

I have chronic smartass disease.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:56 PM   #30
barefoot

you know, i didnt think it was that big of a deal fo calling my Jeep a "CAR" because i was only trying to get the point across that i had a problem and i needed help, and once again i will make sure to triple check what i wrote to make sure i dont call it a "CAR"

as for my oil pressure, i went to the mechanics who said my lifters were bad and my engine couldnt keep oil pressure. im sure i could replace my oil pump and lifter for less than it would cost to buy a new engine, but if you add in that my previous engine had several oil leaks, even after fixen almost a dozen of them, and the other small things, it is almost worth it to get a new one for cost alone. i dont know yet what i am going to do. i may fix my old one or i may get a new one. i just wasnt sure what a good price for a .258 was, i dont want to get ripped off!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.