Does it matter what brand driveshaft I get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Does it matter what brand driveshaft I get?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
MSBXCJ
1982 CJ7 

Does it matter what brand driveshaft I get?

I bent my front drive shaft pretty bad and I need to purchase a new one. I have a 258 I6 engine with a T5 transmission. I want to try to spend the least amount possible while still keeping in thought that I sometimes take my Jeep to the 4 wheel drive park and go on mainly the 2,3,and 4 grade trails. It isnt a daily driver so I dont think I need anything super strong/expensive...however I might be wrong......what do yall think? Also, any idea on how expensive it would be to buy the part and have someone install it for me?

Thanks

MSBXCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
halpeters
1978 CJ7 

Why not repair your bent drive shaft. The Shaft portion can be easly replaced by any local "driveline shop" for less than the cost of new - they cut the welds to reuse the yokes, and weld in a new shaft.

Removing and re-installing the drive shaft is really a simple job that can be done in your driveway.

This should be much cheaper than buying a driveshaft, and is a good skill to have...

Hal
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Repairing your current one sounds like a good idea to me.

However if you are hellbent on going for a new one.. give this guy out in UT a call.. eBay Store - DRIVESHAFT: JEEP, SYE, DRIVE SHAFT

He's a real nice guy to talk to, he's not in it to become a millionaire, he's just trying to support his offroading addiction like the rest of us.

I got a rear CV shaft made up and the quality was exceptional, and from what I understand he's cheaper than TW. A couple guys in my club also have his stuff.

Good luck either way.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
Repairing your current one sounds like a good idea to me.

However if you are hellbent on going for a new one.. give this guy out in UT a call.. eBay Store - DRIVESHAFT: JEEP, SYE, DRIVE SHAFT

He's a real nice guy to talk to, he's not in it to become a millionaire, he's just trying to support his offroading addiction like the rest of us.

I got a rear CV shaft made up and the quality was exceptional, and from what I understand he's cheaper than TW. A couple guys in my club also have his stuff.

Good luck either way.
x2. Just got my Tatton's last week. Still weeks away from running them, but the quality of his work is top notch
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
MSBXCJ
1982 CJ7 

I didn't know you could re-tube a drive shaft, cool. Thanks for the idea, I'll start calling around
MSBXCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBXCJ View Post
I didn't know you could re-tube a drive shaft, cool. Thanks for the idea, I'll start calling around

You drive shaft is going to have slip center so it may not be as easy to repair as previousliy posted but it still should be able to be repaired cheaper then if you purchased a new one.
jds79cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.