does the 86 cj7 have external volt-reg - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > does the 86 cj7 have external volt-reg

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
rusty86cj7

does the 86 cj7 have external volt-reg

Or is it built into the alternator. I just replaced the Alternator but the additional draw from lights and accessories sometimes makes the volts dip to near discharge. Want to know what to replace next or to replace the Alternator again.

Dale aka rusty86cj7

rusty86cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
dana60cj

It's an internal voltage regulator, unless some non stock one was put in there. I ran into this when trying to hook up a welder in My Jeep a while back.

Last time I swapped mine, I had trouble lining up the plug that enters the alt. Once I got both of the prongs on it was fine, before that the new alt. didn't seem to fix the problem of low voltage.

Other things:
Check battery
Check alternator again
All wiring is hooked up correctly, not corroded, and has all of it's insulation.
Belt is tight on alternator

Best of luck
'84 CJ-7, 6" lift, 33" BFG's, I6, .030 Over, Comp Cam, 400cfm Weber, K&N, T-18, 4 Core, Snorkel, D60 Detroit, Custom CV Driveshaft, 1350 U-Joints, D30 True Trac, Alloy shafts, S.R.S. w/ buggy springs, Custom Folding Shackles and Spring Hinges, Custum Tire Rack, Designed On Board Air, Optima's. Sneaky Jeep Owner #3.

Last edited by dana60cj; 06-27-2003 at 11:02 AM..
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.