Dodge 360 motor in my CJ7, need input.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dodge 360 motor in my CJ7, need input..

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
elliottferrell
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dodge 360 motor in my CJ7, need input..

Hi, new to the forum, well at least to the posting aspect. I've enjoyed reading on here over the last year or so. Im in the process of going through my beloved 258. But have a question. I know many people run the chevy motors because the availability of parts is great. But what about running with the mopar? I have a 70ish 360 with a 4 speed behind it and want to know what everyone else would think of this.

elliottferrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Same issues as with the Chevy conversion. You'll have to basically buy all the same kinds of parts due to bolt pattern incompatibility, etc. However, its way more justifiable if you already have the motor.

Where are the radiator hookups on the Dodge? That may one item you can get away with.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
elliottferrell
1997 TJ Wrangler 

from what i can remember the lower radiator hose is in the same spot as a good old chevy 350. I dont think that the upper hose would case a problem. At 1 time i had the whole setup in a 74 dodge d300 1 ton pickup. that though has long bit the dust. id like to know what 4-speed transmission and transfer case i have. Whatever it is. It's got super granny low. and man did it pull....
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I have a Dodge 360 in my project Scrambler and know a few other guys running Mopar V8's. Novak sells the swap mounts (I have a custom built engine cradle in mine) and it'll take the same radiator as for the GM conversion.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
OMR
1986 CJ7 

Got a little behind you guy here but, ditto on the all the above comments Ė

Mopar engine will work fine in the Jeep; itís been done many times.
One thing that is a bit of a problem is that the Mopar small blocks (318, 340, 360) are about 3Ē longer than a sb Chevy (IIRC) so is a little tighter fit.
Youíll probably have to build more parts yourself, than if you were putting in a Chevy; motor mounts and all.
Top radiator hose on most older Dodge pick-ups goes to the driverís side, but shouldnít be too hard to get to go to the passenger side like the Jeep.

The four-speed tranny is most likely (almost for sure) a NP 435, good strong tranny, with as you say real low granny gear. Often put into Jeeps behind all kinds of engines.

The TC is either a NP205 or an NP208 I canít remember when Chrysler made that change, with any luck it will still have the round tag on the back off the case.
Many people like the 205 better, but either are fine for a Jeep Ö down side is that they are big and heavy. (actually Iíd probably use a d300 TC.)

Good luck and have fun, most people opt out for the Chevy, not many do the Mopar thing.

I spend a lot of my wheeling time with a full size Mopar group.

jeepskate - did you have a problem with the block being longer?
I pretty sure I remember the Mopar block being a bit longer.

'86 CJ7 - 258 - Howell - 'Rushed' - 2.5" sl, 1" bl - T5 - d44 rear - 33 x 12.5
OMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMR View Post

The TC is either a NP205 or an NP208 I canít remember when Chrysler made that change, with any luck it will still have the round tag on the back off the case.
Many people like the 205 better, but either are fine for a Jeep Ö down side is that they are big and heavy. (actually Iíd probably use a d300 TC.)
I have a Ford 205 sitting next to my spare QT, and believe it or not the 205 is smaller overall (it may be a bit heavier, though, as it's cast iron, not aluminum.)

The 205 and 208 both have problems IMHO, the 205 doesn't have much of a low range (around 2:1, instead of the nearly 2.75:1 in the later aluminum 2 series NP cases and QT t-case.) The 208 has a problem jumping out of 4wd due to worn shifter forks.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
OMR
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
I have a Ford 205 sitting next to my spare QT, and believe it or not the 205 is smaller overall (it may be a bit heavier, though, as it's cast iron, not aluminum.)

The 205 and 208 both have problems IMHO, the 205 doesn't have much of a low range (around 2:1, instead of the nearly 2.75:1 in the later aluminum 2 series NP cases and QT t-case.) The 208 has a problem jumping out of 4wd due to worn shifter forks.
I have zero experience with the QT case so I didnít know that, other than Iíve heard they big heavy suckers.

And I agree, all different kind of old junk, has each itís own set of problems, 205 is higher geared, but I believe itís a stronger box Ö then again I may be mixing it up with the 203 do to old age brain damage Ö Iíve been know to do that from time to time Ö.

Anyway, like I said, if I was doing this, Iíd just use a d300 Öcould see any reason not too Ö friend of mine just mated a d300 to a 205 to use as a doubler, pretty sweet -

I also missed jeepskates comments above about Novak having the mounts and all - didn't know that either ....

Unread 04-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
elliottferrell
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey thanks OMR for the info on the tranny and transfer case. I couldn't find much online today about the old dodges, jeeps on the other hand have a beloved following....
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
OMR
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottferrell View Post
hey thanks OMR for the info on the tranny and transfer case. I couldn't find much online today about the old dodges, jeeps on the other hand have a beloved following....
elliott - check your Private messages

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.