Do It Your Self Bedliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Do It Your Self Bedliner

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-03-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
tico

Do It Your Self Bedliner

I've been thinking about doing a roll on bedliner in my cj5 tub anybody out there have any suggestions about different brands application proccesses ect... .I really don't want to do the line-x or rhino I have the tub all striped out and ready to go. I've been looking at herculiner anyone have any experience with that stuff. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx

tico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
bernie

I have heard stay away from the cheap versions.
I heard Herculiner is good;
I built my own steel hard top and used Herculiner on it--
I'm impressed, the stuff was easy to apply, and it is very tough.
Follow the directions; definitely get the xylol for cleanup (per directions).
I will use it again--got some floorboards, etc to do.
Unread 11-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I'm using herculiner either this weekend or next depending on time.

What I do know is that a spayed on application of bedliners is far superior in quality than just rolling it on.

Here's a great write-up.
Herculine your tub
Unread 11-03-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
johny1i

I applied black Herculiner to my tub a few months ago and love it. The prep work was a royal PITA (mainly because I'm too anal), but I'm glad I spent the time grinding all of that rust and treating it all with Navel Jelly now. Some of the guys I work with have Rhinoliner in the beds of their trucks, but I actually prefer Herculiner because of the semi-gloss black finish, versus the flat gray finish of their Rhinolinings. Unfortunately, it does get pretty dulled where you're feet are with time, but I've found that semi-gloss black Rustoleum is practically a dead-ringer, so I bet it could always be touched up if you really cared about that sort of thing.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
mad_matt

I Herculined my tub last spring. I love it. I have worn through right under my removable sterio consol but Im hard with it. I would do it again. for what it's worth.
mad_matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68
I'm using herculiner either this weekend or next depending on time.

What I do know is that a spayed on application of bedliners is far superior in quality than just rolling it on.

Here's a great write-up.
Herculine your tub
what type of spray gun thanks for the reply
Unread 11-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #7
tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny1i
I applied black Herculiner to my tub a few months ago and love it. The prep work was a royal PITA (mainly because I'm too anal), but I'm glad I spent the time grinding all of that rust and treating it all with Navel Jelly now. Some of the guys I work with have Rhinoliner in the beds of their trucks, but I actually prefer Herculiner because of the semi-gloss black finish, versus the flat gray finish of their Rhinolinings. Unfortunately, it does get pretty dulled where you're feet are with time, but I've found that semi-gloss black Rustoleum is practically a dead-ringer, so I bet it could always be touched up if you really cared about that sort of thing.
did you spray it on or roll it on. Thanks for the reply
Unread 11-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
homerscj7

I rolled the cheapo Rustoleum bedliner stuff on the floors of my XJ. It's been abused for about 6 months now and holding up great for $20/kit.

Good prep work is a must though, get rid of all the rust and clean it with Xylene.
Unread 11-04-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
mad_matt

Quote:
I rolled the cheapo Rustoleum bedliner stuff on the floors of my XJ. It's been abused for about 6 months now and holding up great for $20/kit
Where do you get that? It sounds like it's right up my alley$
mad_matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
MudLover

The PO of my CJ7 did a roll on bed liner. It's ok, but I spilt brake fluid on part of it and it sat there for a day. The bed liner started to peel after that. I dunno what brand it was, but I didn't like the idea that it wouldn't hold up to brake fluid.

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:22 PM   #11
homerscj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_matt
Where do you get that? It sounds like it's right up my alley$

Ollie's Bargain Outlet and last I knew every store in this area was out of it. There are other places but it might be $24/kit. I'll have to look at the boxes for the name of the kit and look it up on Google. I know there's an online dealer.
Unread 11-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #12
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Did mine with herculiner a couple of weeks back.
Prep is key, but I rolled it and painted it on, it is looking good

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cb4...28.jpg&.view=t

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #13
oreo_n2

whats so special about using xylene over mineral spirits or turpentine or otherr solvents?
Unread 11-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
johny1i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico
did you spray it on or roll it on. Thanks for the reply
The kit I used came from Autozone because they had a $20 rebate deal going on which brought the total to $80, and that included a 4" roller. I wound up buying a better roller because that one was a POS, but I rolled two full coats on thick, covering all the way up under the dash as high as I could get and up the sides of the interior to the underside of the top lip, and still had about 1/5 of the gallon left over. There are a few drips if you look close, but overall it's pretty uniform.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2003, 11:37 AM   #15
40Below

I too Herc-ed my CJ and as the others have said it is all in the prep. As for the question on the xylene, it is a MUST have to cut the bonding agents. I bought a gallon and have over half of it left. wipe down the area you are going to line at least 3 times with a new rag each time.

I found that the Herc is not as durable as the commercial line-x in my P/U but for a jeep it is just fine, I dont plan on hauling rocks and gravel in the Jeep bed.

I rolled my liner on with a brush for the corners. I even did a "over the rail" liner to protect the tub where the hard top sits. I used the plastic masking tape for stucco to mask ofF the area and it worked great. DONT USE PAPER TAPE TO MASK THE EDGE, it will have to be cut out to remove it the chemicles in the liner seap through it real fast.
84 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5 herced tub 86/D44 4.5"RE lift, 33Xterrains and a TWoods CV driveshaft Custom bumpers and tire rack.[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #140[/COLOR]
40Below is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.