do you think this tire can be saved? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > do you think this tire can be saved?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-26-2002, 05:23 PM   #1
onesojourner

do you think this tire can be saved?

i was stuck and some rocks cut the valve stem. and i couldnt change the tire where i was. think its saveable?

Last edited by onesojourner; 10-26-2002 at 05:29 PM..
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
93jeepyj2.5

Your pic isn't showing up on my computer.

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
93jeepyj2.5

Ok, the pic is showing up now.

You really cant tell if its saveable or not from the pic. I'd say put a new valve stem in it, air it up and see if it holds air, and let it go from there.

HTH
-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
CSP

Unless you damaged the cords inside the tire or cut the sidewall you should be fine. Take the tire off the wheel and check out the inside of it if you're really concerned about it. Myself, I would just put in a valve stem, air it up, and see what happens.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If its no good for the highways .. it could be saved as a trail-only spare ..

Check it out .. no harm in that.

How did you like that ProComp tire before it popped off the bead?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
onesojourner

well i only had it out a few times with the new tires, on the rocks i like them alot. they havnt seen a hole lot of mud. we are in a drought where i live.
Unread 10-28-2002, 05:46 PM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid
If its no good for the highways .. it could be saved as a trail-only spare ..
Oh please! There's no way you can tell from that picture if the tire is damaged or not. Sure it's wrinkled some, but that happens to tires that are allowed to go flat sitting in one spot. Without seeing what the inside of the tire or the belts look like theres no conclusive answer any of us can make via the internet.

onesojourner it would have been helpful to know how far you drove it without any air. I would hope that you didn't go far. I can't think of any trail ride I've been on where a suitable spot couldn't be found to change a tire within 100 yards of where it went flat. Even on uneven ground you can change a tire with caution. On something like this if you don't know what to look for you should take it to a tire shop and let them determine if it's good or not. I would hate to see you spend the money on another tire if this one isn't damaged. Tires are pretty damn tough if you don't get them too hot.

Last edited by CSP; 10-28-2002 at 06:24 PM..
Unread 10-28-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
onesojourner

it got pulled about 100 yards with both the tires flat. it was in a semi dry lake bed and it was starting to rain and we feared it would get flooded with run off soon.
Unread 10-28-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by CSP

Oh please! There's no way you can tell from that picture if the tire is damaged or not. Sure it's wrinkled some, but that happens to tires that are allowed to go flat sitting in one spot. Without seeing what the inside of the tire or the belts look like theres no conclusive answer any of us can make via the internet.
Hey ... might wanna re-read what naekid wrote it says IF it isnt acceptable for highway use... not that it isnt at all.... Two different meanings but yeah try a valve stem first or if it looks iffy in person take it to a tire shop and ask...
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 08:55 PM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepfreak81

Hey ... might wanna re-read what naekid wrote it says IF it isnt acceptable for highway use... not that it isnt at all.... Two different meanings
Yep you're right, I misread it! My apologies NaeKid. Thanks for pointing that out Jeepfreak.
Unread 10-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #11
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by CSP

Yep you're right, I misread it! My apologies NaeKid. Thanks for pointing that out Jeepfreak.
Not a problem .. I was kinda confused as to what you were tryin' to say there ....

I have a tire that barely holds air .. just enough to drive on for about 4 hours before I have to refill it with some pressure (ya, I know, I should fix it .. ), so I just use it as a "trail only" spare .. get to the highway where I could make a better repair to whatever is blown ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 09:35 PM   #12
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid

Not a problem .. I was kinda confused as to what you were tryin' to say there ....

I have a tire that barely holds air .. just enough to drive on for about 4 hours before I have to refill it with some pressure (ya, I know, I should fix it .. ), so I just use it as a "trail only" spare .. get to the highway where I could make a better repair to whatever is blown ..
im possibly looking at a "trail only spare right now" i took my tire i popped on my last trail ride with GHJEEPYJ94 and they said the hole is where the sidewall and tread meet -- looks more in the tread to me so i am going to tire slime it and see what happens -- cant afford another tire right now, and im not planning on the same size tires next time around
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 06:14 PM   #13
werewolf7111

ok, let me give you some tire advice( my first job was with Michelin as an engineer)

assuming the tire shows no obvious sign of physical damage

1) check rim, clean and inflate to about 50 PSI( for safety I have to say in a tire cage)- this is assuming the bead area has no gouges

2) check sidewalls for and ridges, bubbles or anything but smooth flat even surface( this is EXCLUDING the normal sectionwhere the plys are bound in the frame process and a straight line)( telltale signs are "skews"[ places where the rubber looks like it turns])

3) spin the tire on a balancer and see of any separation has occurred( make sure rim warpage isnt confused with the tire proper)

4) balance the tire

assuming the tire passes all these tests- it normally can be considered good

couple of tire facts all may want to know( these are industry standards)
1) NEVER repair a tire with anything but a PATCH/PLUG( this is a cold patch with a plug made onto it-reason being the #1 CAUSE of tread separation and tire failure has been determined to be a tire repair thathas allowed water and road salt to get into the belting and corrode/electrolosize it)- a patch covers the hole and holds air- but leaves the original damage to get contaminated

2) never attempt any sidewall repair( its not an air hold thing- but a structural integrity thing) if you have to due to prices of tires- patch it but put a tube in it also

3) for proper tire life- keep pressure right- heres the field test used- clean tread and soak concrete with water- drive and look where the water clings to the tread- a proper footprint will beapp 1/4" from the OUTSIDE of the water siping on the tread- on a CJ- this is 25 PSI ( do NOT let those ratings fool you- those are MAXIMUM ratings at FULL LOAD- theyare NOT what the tire is designed to run at under regular conditions- REGARDLESS of tire size or rating- its SOLEY based on vehicle weight)

4) avoid these fix/flat things at all times( read the fine print- they DEGRADE rubber and if left in tires for long duration- make further repair unreliable)

5) keep tires out of sunlight( either armorall or in a shed)

hope this helps

Joe MSME PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.