Do you like your Fiberglass windshield frame? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Do you like your Fiberglass windshield frame?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Ive got a 4wd windshield frame and havent had any problems at all with it. Its a nice sturdy unit and super lightweight. Got a glass grille from them too actually and it seems like good quality as well. Body, fenders, grill, and wind frame are all 4wd. Good stuff.

cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
GuacaTex
1981 CJ7 

All,

Thanks for your input. Keep'em comming.

Impression I am getting so far is that there are many poor quality fiberglass frames out there. Some folk have had good results with quality units obtained from 4WDHW & Shell Valley (may be others as well). These sources also carry heavier duty units with Kevlar which seem to be better quality as well.

Shell Valley mentioned by Exposed appears to have some attractive prices. 'Glass tubs have not been of interest to me before, but with those prices and the gelcoat option, I'm a bit tempted. When you consider the cost of a good conventional paint job, a good quality Kevlar gelcoat tub kit is tempting. Draw backs to the gelcoat is limited color selection and not sure how the gelcoat finish really comes across in person. Wonder if it gives the impression of a Tonka toy or maybe that your driving a bass boat on 4 wheels . . .

Hmmmmmm . . .

GT
GuacaTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

how bout aluminum as a body replacement option?
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuacaTex View Post
All,

Thanks for your input. Keep'em comming.

Impression I am getting so far is that there are many poor quality fiberglass frames out there. Some folk have had good results with quality units obtained from 4WDHW & Shell Valley (may be others as well). These sources also carry heavier duty units with Kevlar which seem to be better quality as well.

Shell Valley mentioned by Exposed appears to have some attractive prices. 'Glass tubs have not been of interest to me before, but with those prices and the gelcoat option, I'm a bit tempted. When you consider the cost of a good conventional paint job, a good quality Kevlar gelcoat tub kit is tempting. Draw backs to the gelcoat is limited color selection and not sure how the gelcoat finish really comes across in person. Wonder if it gives the impression of a Tonka toy or maybe that your driving a bass boat on 4 wheels . . .

Hmmmmmm . . .

GT
I have not seen them in person, but if you do a gelcoat right, you can make it look just as good as a paint job. It need to be thick enough so you can sand it like you block a car. When I do my layers I wetsand all the way to 400grit then spray some clear coats on it and wetsand the clear then spray again and wax. Looks just like a paintjob

Ben
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
howelljeep
1979 CJ5 

I had an all fiberglass tub and windshield on my cj5 and it had to issues with it, but I only used it in the summer. No issues with flexing, bikini top or wipers.
1999 Dodge Durango
howelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

TXJeeper - Aluminum gives you issues when bolting things to it - galvanic corrosion from the dislike metals. Not many people use them because a steel one would last a bit longer if properly cared for, from my understanding.

Quote:
I had an all fiberglass tub and windshield on my cj5 and it had to issues with it, but I...
Is that supposed to be "no" issues? Kinda threw me the first time i read it... but then again I am just waking up..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

so the shell kevalr units sound very appealing along with the price but id feel better if someone had input on them
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #23
GuacaTex
1981 CJ7 

More negative feedback than positive for FG frames. Positive feedback seems to be limited to HD units with Kevlar. No longterm experience reported using the Shell Valley units.

Oh, yeah . . . bumpety.

GT
GuacaTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #24
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuacaTex View Post
More negative feedback than positive for FG frames. Positive feedback seems to be limited to HD units with Kevlar. No longterm experience reported using the Shell Valley units.

Oh, yeah . . . bumpety.

GT
You sure?
It seems like there were only 4 negative feedbacks vs 5 positive ones.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #25
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

GuacaTex, I actually drove up to Nebraska and picked up my complete body with my Toy Hauler and brought back to Houston. While I was there, I toured there process on building their stuff. It was quiet impressive and sold me on them after seeing how they did business. They are not only limited to Jeeps so had a large crowd of people that use their products.. As far as the Gelcoat, it is really a nice finish. More like you would fine on a boat.... Very smooth and almost as good as a good quality paint job. The only downside would be fiberglass will discolor if left out in the sun even with UV stuff mixed in with it. If Jeep was garaged, probably not an issue. If left outside year around, you would need to keep waxed often to preserve finish. I leaned toward the non-colored gelcoat because of the House of Color Pearl I wanted to use. They actually said they could match pretty close. They will mix whatever color you want for an additional charge (did not think it was much). But since I was using a Ralley Top/Doors, I needed the doors to match. They would have to be painted and decided I would paint in lieu of the colored gelcoat. If I was going with a flat color, (Red, Blue, Yellow, etc.), I would definitely went that route and saved the money I spent on paint, equipment, etc... It would have been definitely cheaper in the long run... The Kelvar does make a difference. You can really tell when you just bore holes through it.. You can tell it tough like steel... By the way, the guy that sold me on using Shell Valley had just finished a yellow gelcoat Jeep. It looked great. That feature is nice, just bolt it together and you are done.. No sanding, priming, painting, buffing, etc.....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

well the shell prices are very good cheaper than the kentrol versions, but kentrol makes a hood with a small scoop on it , and i kinda want it lol just a small scoop but over 600 bucks for a hood is kinda overkill if shell valley made a scoop hood id be all over it
kentrol part number 30619
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #27
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Can you just get a normal hood and a cheap scoop and glass them together? May take more work, but you either pay for them to do it or you do it yourself..

Cjjon7 - how long have you had the 4WDH frame on there? I read somewhere that somebody said their 'glass stuff isn't as strong as it was. Are you running a soft top or bikini on it?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

Im not doing the work myself , im deployed and am having a reputable shop do it for me
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Theres a cool JEEP here 4 picutres from the left!

http://www.shellvalley.com/Replicas_and_Jeeps/Jeep/

Ben
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #30
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Dang, that Jeep looks familiar........ Guess I should start a new thread on the tranny swap out... Got the new AX-15 this week from Novak and getting ready to swap out the T-176 in the near future. Debating on when since it is so hot right now
thanks
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.