Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you like your Fiberglass windshield frame?

12K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  bigredisb 
#1 ·
Gonna hafta repair or replace ye'ol windshield frame.

Do you like your fiberglass frame?

Who's the manufacturer?

Any installation issues?

Thanks for feedback,

GT

#3 ·
Absolute garbage! Thought I heard they stopped selling them.

The aftermarket steel frames even have issues holding the wiper arm pivot holes, the 'glass ones that I have seen blow out immediately and all have to have steel plate reinforcing added to them.

They also can only be used topless or with a hard top. If you put a bikini or soft top on it, the air flow can actually lift the top of the frame right up off the 'glass. This is according to the gent that sold me my CJ7 that came with his POS 'glass windshield frame as a spare to the rotted stock one. The 'glass one had already failed bad so he had the old rotted steel one back on.

#6 ·
Mine came with one, don't know the manufacturer. It also came with those YJ windshield bars. The PO just drilled bolt holes in the frame for them, and lightly tightened them. I drilled out the holes and epoxied 1/2" pipe in them so I could tighten the bolts without the cracking of fiberglass. I have not had it out in the winter, so I guess I'll find out. I hope the YJ bars help me avoid the problems a lot of other guys have had. When I turn on the wipers, I don't see any flexing at the pivots, but, before I bought it, it did not have any wipers. So we'll see. I am going to research aluminum windshield frames just in case.

#7 ·
My original frame was pretty trashed out so when I went glass on the body, did the frame as well.. It has been in place little over year and maybe I have been lucky.. I have no regrets in using it. Good fit, no leaks, mounting holes (glassed nutserts) were real close to Kentrol SS hinges.... Guess I will see how it holds up before very pleased... Maybe it is the kevlar in it that makes it a better unit.... :)

#8 ·
Exposed - Did you get yours from 4WD Hardware?

Those with bad experiences - were they from 4WD Hardware?

I don't doubt there are cheap crap ones out there, but with the right materials I'm sure a 'glass unit can be built that is just as strong or stronger than the aftermarket steel ones. Question is, does anyone make them like that. I live on the gulf coast. I don't think steel with defrost vents through the frame will last either.

GT

#11 ·
My old one is great also.

Never had any bending issues but rusted out mounting hardware were a problem. The inserts just spun in place do to improper installation.

Since it's fiberglass I just cut it open and inserted a threaded steel plate. and sealed it back up.

The only thing I worry about is one of my wiper pivots locking up and ruining the cutout. But even on a steel frame, it can warp the metal if it seizes.

#13 ·
Im not a fan of mine. Im not sure who made it as it was put on by the PO. Ive had problems with the wipers and the angle of the frame. Also changing the hard and soft tops for the change of the seasons seems to be taking its toll on the fiberglass frame. It looks fine but when I get around to that part of my list It will be metal.

#15 ·
my windsheild frame was bent in a rollover so im replacing it either finding a rust-free original or reproduction glass or steel unit

isnt glass lighter then the steel ones, recomendations on who t obuy from preferebly one with kevlar

4wd hardware seems to be a goodchoice yall seem to be happy with there units

#16 ·
Ive got a 4wd windshield frame and havent had any problems at all with it. Its a nice sturdy unit and super lightweight. Got a glass grille from them too actually and it seems like good quality as well. Body, fenders, grill, and wind frame are all 4wd. Good stuff.

#17 ·
All,

Thanks for your input. Keep'em comming.

Impression I am getting so far is that there are many poor quality fiberglass frames out there. Some folk have had good results with quality units obtained from 4WDHW & Shell Valley (may be others as well). These sources also carry heavier duty units with Kevlar which seem to be better quality as well.

Shell Valley mentioned by Exposed appears to have some attractive prices. 'Glass tubs have not been of interest to me before, but with those prices and the gelcoat option, I'm a bit tempted. When you consider the cost of a good conventional paint job, a good quality Kevlar gelcoat tub kit is tempting. Draw backs to the gelcoat is limited color selection and not sure how the gelcoat finish really comes across in person. Wonder if it gives the impression of a Tonka toy or maybe that your driving a bass boat on 4 wheels . . .

Hmmmmmm . . .

GT

#19 ·
All,

Thanks for your input. Keep'em comming.

Impression I am getting so far is that there are many poor quality fiberglass frames out there. Some folk have had good results with quality units obtained from 4WDHW & Shell Valley (may be others as well). These sources also carry heavier duty units with Kevlar which seem to be better quality as well.

Shell Valley mentioned by Exposed appears to have some attractive prices. 'Glass tubs have not been of interest to me before, but with those prices and the gelcoat option, I'm a bit tempted. When you consider the cost of a good conventional paint job, a good quality Kevlar gelcoat tub kit is tempting. Draw backs to the gelcoat is limited color selection and not sure how the gelcoat finish really comes across in person. Wonder if it gives the impression of a Tonka toy or maybe that your driving a bass boat on 4 wheels . . .

Hmmmmmm . . .

GT
I have not seen them in person, but if you do a gelcoat right, you can make it look just as good as a paint job. It need to be thick enough so you can sand it like you block a car. When I do my layers I wetsand all the way to 400grit then spray some clear coats on it and wetsand the clear then spray again and wax. Looks just like a paintjob

Ben

#21 ·
TXJeeper - Aluminum gives you issues when bolting things to it - galvanic corrosion from the dislike metals. Not many people use them because a steel one would last a bit longer if properly cared for, from my understanding.

I had an all fiberglass tub and windshield on my cj5 and it had to issues with it, but I...
Is that supposed to be "no" issues? Kinda threw me the first time i read it... but then again I am just waking up..

#25 ·
GuacaTex, I actually drove up to Nebraska and picked up my complete body with my Toy Hauler and brought back to Houston. While I was there, I toured there process on building their stuff. It was quiet impressive and sold me on them after seeing how they did business. They are not only limited to Jeeps so had a large crowd of people that use their products.. As far as the Gelcoat, it is really a nice finish. More like you would fine on a boat.... Very smooth and almost as good as a good quality paint job. The only downside would be fiberglass will discolor if left out in the sun even with UV stuff mixed in with it. If Jeep was garaged, probably not an issue. If left outside year around, you would need to keep waxed often to preserve finish. I leaned toward the non-colored gelcoat because of the House of Color Pearl I wanted to use. They actually said they could match pretty close. They will mix whatever color you want for an additional charge (did not think it was much). But since I was using a Ralley Top/Doors, I needed the doors to match. They would have to be painted and decided I would paint in lieu of the colored gelcoat. If I was going with a flat color, (Red, Blue, Yellow, etc.), I would definitely went that route and saved the money I spent on paint, equipment, etc... It would have been definitely cheaper in the long run... The Kelvar does make a difference. You can really tell when you just bore holes through it.. You can tell it tough like steel... By the way, the guy that sold me on using Shell Valley had just finished a yellow gelcoat Jeep. It looked great. That feature is nice, just bolt it together and you are done.. No sanding, priming, painting, buffing, etc.....

#26 ·
well the shell prices are very good cheaper than the kentrol versions, but kentrol makes a hood with a small scoop on it , and i kinda want it lol just a small scoop but over 600 bucks for a hood is kinda overkill if shell valley made a scoop hood id be all over it
kentrol part number 30619

#27 ·
Can you just get a normal hood and a cheap scoop and glass them together? May take more work, but you either pay for them to do it or you do it yourself..

Cjjon7 - how long have you had the 4WDH frame on there? I read somewhere that somebody said their 'glass stuff isn't as strong as it was. Are you running a soft top or bikini on it?

#30 ·
Dang, that Jeep looks familiar........ Guess I should start a new thread on the tranny swap out... Got the new AX-15 this week from Novak and getting ready to swap out the T-176 in the near future. Debating on when since it is so hot right now :cool:
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.